Something about Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something about Miami

Dr. Tomorrow

Scout Team
Reaction score
Even throughout the second half of the Marino years(92-99) when a 6 year old me became a Dolphins fan, the same thing always happens. We lose, we get manhandled, we get worked, we get made into laughing stocks, we get false hope and then quickly get made aware at how inept we really are. Essentially, we underachieve. We bring in free agents that at their former team played very well, with numbers to back it up and for whatever reason, once they put on that orange and aqua jersey, their talents just drop off. We bring in coaches with great resumes, resumes that illustrate that with lesser talent, have succeeded in this league. We get coaches with Superbowl backgrounds and yet both types of coaches, once they put on one of our headsets, their minds turn to garbage.

I just want to know why. Why do these things happen to this team every year? Why doesn't it matter what owner, administration, coaches or players we have that the same result will always happen? That this team will underachieve and play worse then what their pasts tell us they will do? Why when a descent portion of these players go else where they play well? Why do our decisions seemingly never work out for this team?

So, I know some people will get pumped for Jay Ajayi and say that he looked good. I agree he did look good. But does it matter? Because what this team loves to do is to get good players and either not play them though in the brief moments they get look sharp or to get a player with a great resume and literally not know how to use them. You know that in 2 weeks we're going to be thinking "why isn't Jay getting the ball more, he has like a 4.9 per carry average?" How many draft picks have we had where we draft a guy with skills that are clear as day and then we can't figure out to have that player use those skills on the field?

I have loved this team for 23 years and wouldn't dare of giving up on them because I don't believe in such lame acts, but I do feel I have the right to ask as many questions on a Monday.

My most interesting question is; is it literally something in the air in Miami that causes this organization to fail?

I've tried to come up with the common denominator for our suffering for a while now, and I think it comes down to ownership. Huizenga and Ross were and are poor owners, and things flow from there. I really wish Ross would sell, but there are no signs he will do so.

That's one of my leaders in clubhouse answers because I believer everything starts at the top and trickel down.

It doesn't help to be in a division with one of the best teams in league history. Winning the division is next to impossible which can't be said for the other teams in the AFC. Yeah Denver is usually good and so is Pittsburgh/Cincy/Baltimore, but they all have fighting chances. So the Dolphins are already handicapped with the division being out of reach. What happens next?

They compete with all of the other teams for a wild card spot every year. Miami has to go 6-2 at worst to even have a chance at a playoff spot. Meanwhile the Pats are 8-0 and might lose 2 games max, Carolina has already passed last year's win total, Denver lost but will still win 12, Cincy can't be stopped. Miami has to scratch, fight, and claw for a chance at the WC spot whereas other teams can coast and still take homefield.

I. ****ing. Hate. It.

Even throughout the second half of the Marino years(92-99) when a 6 year old me became a Dolphins fan, the same thing always happens. We lose, we get manhandled, we get worked, we get made into laughing stocks, we get false hope and then quickly get made aware at how inept we really are. Essentially, we underachieve. We bring in free agents that at their former team played very well, with numbers to back it up and for whatever reason, once they put on that orange and aqua jersey, their talents just drop off. We bring in coaches with great resumes, resumes that illustrate that with lesser talent, have succeeded in this league. We get coaches with Superbowl backgrounds and yet both types of coaches, once they put on one of our headsets, their minds turn to garbage.

I just want to know why. Why do these things happen to this team every year? Why doesn't it matter what owner, administration, coaches or players we have that the same result will always happen? That this team will underachieve and play worse then what their pasts tell us they will do? Why when a descent portion of these players go else where they play well? Why do our decisions seemingly never work out for this team?

So, I know some people will get pumped for Jay Ajayi and say that he looked good. I agree he did look good. But does it matter? Because what this team loves to do is to get good players and either not play them though in the brief moments they get look sharp or to get a player with a great resume and literally not know how to use them. You know that in 2 weeks we're going to be thinking "why isn't Jay getting the ball more, he has like a 4.9 per carry average?" How many draft picks have we had where we draft a guy with skills that are clear as day and then we can't figure out to have that player use those skills on the field?

I have loved this team for 23 years and wouldn't dare of giving up on them because I don't believe in such lame acts, but I do feel I have the right to ask as many questions on a Monday.

My most interesting question is; is it literally something in the air in Miami that causes this organization to fail?

It is about talent evaluation both on coaches and players

If the owner pays for the players you cant blame him for everything. Its not like he is cheap its more of we can never get out of own way

If the owner pays for the players you cant blame him for everything. Its not like he is cheap its more of we can never get out of own way

Ownership = Leadership

Owners are in charge of bringing in the leaders who have a vision and a plan to execute that vision. We'll see if Tannenbaum is that guy for Ross, but it hasn't gotten off to a very good start so far.

Ross has to hire a competent FO person. If Ross is dumb, he will hire someone dumb. If I am Ross, I admit I made a mistake with Tannenbaum. He made two major personnel decisions that are crippling this team. It is a mistake. Need to hire a coach/GM combo again that will not be afraid to fix mistakes. My fear is tannenbaum will not allow certain transactions by a coach because he is determined to keep it

Back
Top Bottom