Something To Think About / Alternative To Outright Tanking

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by miamirw, Mar 14, 2019 at 1:55 PM.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

No thanks, I need a guaranteed top pick. Nobody is going to trade that once they know they have a top pick and I'm not betting a good player on the mere chance of landing one.

2. marino13zach54

marino13zach54 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

There are no guarantees in life, Gonzo. I think that should go without saying.

X could get injured in training camp (all of FH please find wood to knock on against that).

And I’m not into trading X unless it’s for a move up for a QB.

You’re rebuilding to put young pieces like X around X, not to trade X.

But when you say QB to me, I say who do I have to screw, suck, or Kraft off to get one, especially in the likes of Murray.

3. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Tunsil is a worth a lot more than a speculative pick....I don’t see us trading any of them, but if we do I would think Howard... Tunsil is too valuable.

4. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

I agree, Howard is exactly the kind of player you lock up. due to his age, talent and the position he plays. If you don't want to keep a guy like him, who would you keep?

Digital likes this.
  5. Gonzo

If the team with the #1 pick next year (hopefully us) trades it to us for Xavien Howard, then that would make it guaranteed. Literally. And that's the only way I would do it. Obviously, that's not going to happen. I'm also not trading a player on the idea that he might "get injured in training camp."

We're simply going to have to suck this year if we want a top QB next year. No way around that.

6. marino13zach54

Of course not. I was making the point that there are no guarantees. That goes for having the #1 overall pick as well.

If Murray is sitting there at 5 and the Bucs want to deal for a reasonable price, if X is a part of the equation, I wish X the best in Tampa.

7. jbyrd850

jbyrd850 Rookie

Drake ain't on the same level as Tunsil and X. I'd love for him to be but he's just not, he's easily replaceable and is not top 10-15 at his position.

Team should be trying to extend Tunsil and X. Let Drake play out his rookie deal and then resign him for cheap or draft other running backs.

Digital likes this.
  8. KBEE

KBEE Well-Known Member

The four cornerstones on a football team is QB, LT, CB and DE. We have two and both are still on rookie contracts. We need to build on that, not create more holes. There are no guarantees they can be replaced in the next couple years.

Digital likes this.
  9. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

GM is keep. browns got good gm now.

10. Gonzo

In which case it's guaranteed we get a top QB. I have no interest taking a risk on potential future picks. I know you like the fanciful concept of "there are no guarantees," but that's simply avoiding the point. The only way I'm interested in trading him for draft picks is if the holder (not potential holder) of a top 3 (or maybe only the 1st overall pick, depending on which QBs declare) calls, in which case I'm guaranteed (yes, guaranteed) a top QB prospect.

Obviously, there's no chance in that happening, so there's pretty much no realistic scenario in which I'm okay with trading Howard.

11. marino13zach54

I'm lost, dude.

I never advocated, nor will I, trading X for a a mere unknown draft pick so I'm lost there.

I am talking about trading X for the guarantee of a top QB prospect and only for a top QB prospect so I'm lost there as well.

What are we discussing? I may be 2 Excedrin tablets short of a full medicine cabinet but I don't see where we are in disagreement except for the "fanciful concept."

It's not a fanciful concept. It's a fact that the only guarantee in life is death. Is it an easy stance? Absolutely. Does it deviate from my point? No.

Even if trading X gets you a top QB prospect there's still the risk of a bust when you already know X is money.