Something To Think About | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something To Think About

tay0365

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
We're all expecting this coming year to see Miami rebuilt, and start from scratch through the draft, with some key cheap FA sprinkled in there, but what if instead the season took a different turn.

Though there are people that believe teams lose on purpose to get a higher draft pick, unless you never played competitive sports, you have to realize how tough that really is...Athletes hate losing, quality coaches hate losing, and losing on purpose for an entire season to an athlete is just as bad as adding paper cuts to him every minute of the day.

Now, what if Miami did go into this season not expecting much after somewhat cleaning house of players with high cap, but no real future, then actually went through with their plan of no more overspending in FA, got a few O -linemen and a new QB in the draft, not expecting much from him, as their plan was to get the franchise QB in 2020, but once the season started with the new coaching staff, this team actually started playing better then expected, actually started winning.

I have no doubt that the news Miami wants one of the top QBs of 2020, are very real, but you can not control where you will be drafting in 2020, other then losing on purpose (Which, as I said, very few teams...if any, will do), so I believe Miami will also take a shot at a QB with one of their 1st four picks (probably after their 1st) and what if that QB actually starts producing earlier then expected.

Miami is going to get rid of a lot of expensive big names, but don't expect Miami to totally clean house, they will keep a good nucleus or players they will see in their future plans. If Miami is able to strengthen the O-line, and lucks into a QB in the draft this year, if the new coaching staff turns out to be of quality, and make the right moves, this coming season may not be as forgettible as people expect...including drafting high next year.

We're all expecting this coming year to see Miami rebuilt, and start from scratch through the draft, with some key cheap FA sprinkled in there, but what if instead the season took a different turn.

Though there are people that believe teams lose on purpose to get a higher draft pick, unless you never played competitive sports, you have to realize how tough that really is...Athletes hate losing, quality coaches hate losing, and losing on purpose for an entire season to an athlete is just as bad as adding paper cuts to him every minute of the day.

Now, what if Miami did go into this season not expecting much after somewhat cleaning house of players with high cap, but no real future, then actually went through with their plan of no more overspending in FA, got a few O -linemen and a new QB in the draft, not expecting much from him, as their plan was to get the franchise QB in 2020, but once the season started with the new coaching staff, this team actually started playing better then expected, actually started winning.

I have no doubt that the news Miami wants one of the top QBs of 2020, are very real, but you can not control where you will be drafting in 2020, other then losing on purpose (Which, as I said, very few teams...if any, will do), so I believe Miami will also take a shot at a QB with one of their 1st four picks (probably after their 1st) and what if that QB actually starts producing earlier then expected.

Miami is going to get rid of a lot of expensive big names, but don't expect Miami to totally clean house, they will keep a good nucleus or players they will see in their future plans. If Miami is able to strengthen the O-line, and lucks into a QB in the draft this year, if the new coaching staff turns out to be of quality, and make the right moves, this coming season may not be as forgettible as people expect...including drafting high next year.

Interesting thought and similar in many ways to my own opinion...opinion...

Except my idea's is to forget about tanking for next years draft and put all your eggs in this years Draft and get the top QB we actually can get. AT ALL COSTS ! If we going to Tank, Tank on the higher rounds of this 2019 Draft Only... Then build around something a real QB, besides the fantasy we been dreaming about for 2 decades...IMO its a no brainer ...cause we have the ammo to do it.

Then with the franchise hopeful QB, the tanking is over but the building can start this year with an OL upgrade... I don't understand this postponing thought or throwing the dice on late round QB when we actually have the stuff to get one of this years best.
It's like we enjoy the world of fantasy....ex. Next year we will tank and get a great QB....it never stops....Now is the time hopefully our guys are aware enough to realize the gift we have before us...and yes this draft we will sacrifice some but getting the guy we want at QB is priceless...JMO

Interesting read, I expect Miami to clean house but not all in one year that most of us seem to believe. Cleaning house might be a 2 or 3 year project, the faster the better however.

Except my idea's is to forget about tanking for next years draft and put all your eggs in this years Draft and get the top QB we actually can get. AT ALL COSTS ! If we going to Tank, Tank on the higher rounds of this 2019 Draft Only... Then build around something a real QB, besides the fantasy we been dreaming about for 2 decades...IMO its a no brainer ...cause we have the ammo to do it.

Then with the franchise hopeful QB, the tanking is over but the building can start this year with an OL upgrade... I don't understand this postponing thought or throwing the dice on late round QB when we actually have the stuff to get one of this years best.
It's like we enjoy the world of fantasy....ex. Next year we will tank and get a great QB....it never stops....Now is the time hopefully our guys are aware enough to realize the gift we have before us...and yes this draft we will sacrifice some but getting the guy we want at QB is priceless...JMO

Just not sure I see that "one QB" in this years draft. Who are you suggesting? Drew Lock?

I don't think when talking about tanking people are saying players lose on purpose or coaches purposely tell players to drop TD's or thrown INT's. No player would ever have a subpar performance on the field on purpose since that could affect future job opportunities should they get cut and the same goes for coaches.

Tanking relates more so to not putting the best product on the field that you possibly can. See the Colts starting Curtis Painter instead of acquiring a veteran free agent QB or trading for a QB.

If Miami fields a less than desirable roster after cutting the expensive aging talent on the team and wins more games than expected I would take that as a good sign for the future since it possibly means Flores will be a good coach who gets the most out of his players.

Just not sure I see that "one QB" in this years draft. Who are you suggesting? Drew Lock?

Murray or Haskins and if they think Lock is as guy I'd back them and he'd be less to sacrifice than the other two but my preference is Murray and then Haskins.....probably in the 3-4 area to actually have a shot at...

I see no evidence of a 'tank' or a 'total rebuild,' but, there's no HC yet so no one knows for sure. First, a 'top 10' pick can be somewhere around 6 wins, which doesn't sound like 'tank.' Second, it's reasonable to think 2-3 of the top 10 teams OTHER THAN Miami will be QB hunting and a couple more below 10. That can mean, not only giving up picks in that year, but years following. I don't think Flores will do that unless there's a QB (singular) that lights his fire.

Any purging of contracts will tell the tale. Will Flores get rid of ALL expensive contracts and start that 'total rebuild." Will he get rid only of those he sees as having limited value (e.g., Branch)? Will he swallow hard and keep some expensive contracts to keep from devastating particular units? Those, to me, will be clear indications.

Seems to me, a lot will depend on evaluation of the current roster and determining which, if any, played poorly due to lack of talent or lack of coaching. Seems to me a significant part was coaching (or lack thereof). No honest person can deny the last 3 games looked like there was no game plan and looked like there had been no practices. With a shot at the playoffs, the entire roster looked like 'whatever.' That doesn't mean ONLY coaching. My only point is unmotivated, undisciplined, and improperly used players can masquerade as poor talent.

Yeah, I agree, making plans two years away to me also is not just risky, it's not very smart.

The OP makes a great point and it's the reason the notion of fixed games in football is such a laughable concept. With 22 players out there, incredibly balanced personnel from team to team, and scoring of multiples of 7 in such a relatively low scoring sport, there are simply too many permutations and uncontrollable variables to be sure of the outcome. One fumble return or missed tackle can turn a rightful defeat into victory. The teams that finish with the worst records do it partially on merit but also tons of bad luck in losing one tight game after another.

If Tua had 8 brothers of identical ability to himself scattered throughout the country and all draft eligible in 2020, I could understand the notion of a tank. Otherwise the Dolphins may be attempting something they don't fully understand.

Very true, that one QB that will take you to becoming a successful franchise, is not exactly looking us in the face, yet neither was Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo...

I know it's extremely rare that a Qb that few (if any) expect anything from actually succeeds, but it does happen, and my point is, what if we are lucky enough to walk into this situation...If we don't, the plan is still 2020.

I don't think when talking about tanking people are saying players lose on purpose or coaches purposely tell players to drop TD's or thrown INT's. No player would ever have a subpar performance on the field on purpose since that could affect future job opportunities should they get cut and the same goes for coaches.

Tanking relates more so to not putting the best product on the field that you possibly can. See the Colts starting Curtis Painter instead of acquiring a veteran free agent QB or trading for a QB.

If Miami fields a less than desirable roster after cutting the expensive aging talent on the team and wins more games than expected I would take that as a good sign for the future since it possibly means Flores will be a good coach who gets the most out of his players.

But that's my point, I have no doubt that if Miami is serious about 2020, they might draft a rookie 2019 to get experience right away, and probably in learning on the job, lose much more then win, helping Miami to draft night in 2020, but what if by extreme luck, the player Miami expect to be confused, and making mistakes, actually matures far quicker then expected, and instead of thinking of him as a future backup, actually starts playing like a starter.

But that's my point, I have no doubt that if Miami is serious about 2020, they might draft a rookie 2019 to get experience right away, and probably in learning on the job, lose much more then win, helping Miami to draft night in 2020, but what if by extreme luck, the player Miami expect to be confused, and making mistakes, actually matures far quicker then expected, and instead of thinking of him as a future backup, actually starts playing like a starter.

Seeing a player that was expected to be confused play far better than expected probably could happen. Seeing enough rookie or unproven players perform far better to the point where it's garnering W's, that's far less likely although not impossible. There's so many holes on this team we'd have to draft flawlessly and pick up good bargain free agents on top of really good coaching. It's been so long since we've seen such genuine improvement I'm not sure I can believe in this without skepticism.

I wholeheartedly agree, nobody likes to lose. In retrospect, with confidence in the outcome and security of your own job and those who take the ride with you, it seems easy. But in the heat of the battle, letting the other team best you and make you look foolish is hard on the pride, and fear of firing is omnipresent.

There are three levels of commitment. The first level is true commitment, where people know the plan, embrace the plan, and will not be deterred from the purpose of the plan … and that is the most rare type of commitment. The second level is initial commitment, where people honestly believe they are at the first level, but then circumstances start to steer them away, such as public humiliation, being laughed at, having people take your job or responsibility, or even something as simple as hating to lose. But in the end, most commitment is only initial commitment. The third level is feigned commitment, where a coach, player or even GM will say that they're planning to lose, but secretly try to surprise everyone with their greatness and be a success, then if it fails, they think they can always fall back to failure and act like it was the plan all along.

So @tay0365 is right, it's very hard to follow through with tanking. It's much easier to have the genuine article where you're just not organized enough, just not talented enough, or the players just lose faith in the coaching staff and/or the locker room. Giving up is a lot easier than letting someone beat you. Somehow it's viewed as no longer your fault if you give up. It's easier to shift the blame to someone else. But when you're letting someone win, it eats you up inside. Giving up feels more like a protest for some just cause.

If we're really going to tank, I mean legitimately embrace it like the Colts did in their "Suck for Luck" campaign, then it will require first level true commitment from Flores, no matter how bad the backlash becomes. He's the man who can focus on the fundamentals at the exclusion of game preparation. Sure, he'll shoulder the blame for it, and we'll likely call for his firing because of it, but if tanking is really our goal, we need to be committed to giving him a chance to lead the charge once we do tank and do get that franchise QB. At the end of that 2 to 3 year cycle, we should see where the team is then, and re-evaluate, but not after one year of actively trying to tank.

All depends on the QB. Is it Tannehill again? If so they go 8-8 at best. Osweiler? 6-7 wins max. Falk? Probably less than 5.

A rookie? Which rookie? A top guy like Haskins or Murray? Or a project like McSorley or Grier?

Lots of variables to consider. Impossible to gauge now.

Back
Top Bottom