spin on dajesus' thread. my offensive MVP... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

spin on dajesus' thread. my offensive MVP...

Originally posted by minus
He is better suited for the outside not for slot and i guess Chan didn't know that.As we all know he came here to stretch the field not to be the slot receiver and I hope he starts opposite to Chambers.Miami wil have two deep threats and Gadsen to make his acrobatic catches in the slot.

I gotta agree with this... McKnight did well on the outside in Dallas... we moved him to the slot, and suddenly he's out of sync. I like the idea of chambers/McKnight on the outside, with Gadsden in the slot...

That's why I believe that OG will be the 3rd reciever and McNight will be the starter. To me, that would utilize their abilities better. OG can dominate and be a big mismatch in the slot on a LB or a safety.

A receiver in the slot isn't covered by a linebacker or a safety. When you have a slot receiver, then it usually means you've got 3 WRs on the field, and 9 times out of 10 when you've got 3 WRs on the field the defense puts in their nickel package which means the 3rd CB is in there. Having OG in the slot only makes sense if you know a teams 3rd CB is a small-fry (kinda like Jamar Fletcher). Otherwise OG doesn't have even close to the amount of footspeed/agility needed to play slot. McKnight does, thats why he was used in the slot by Chan

SO what better taking on the other starting Cb or the back up 3rd corner? Plus you gotta utilize the player where he fits better and for McKnight is the outside.

Originally posted by minus
SO what better taking on the other starting Cb or the back up 3rd corner? Plus you gotta utilize the player where he fits better and for McKnight is the outside.

True, I'd rather have Gadsden going against a nickle back than a shutdown corner anyday... plus, McKnight is at home on the outside...let him play to his strength. OG would do fine in the slot, it's likely he could become the clutch possession reciever that McDuffie once was ... well maybe not quite that good, but you get my point.

Personally, I'd like to see McKnight and Gadsden ALTERNATE in the slot. If you get OG singled up outside against a smaller DB, you just throw it high and let him out-man the guy for a big gainer. Or you can let him run that out pattern and make that indefensible sideline catch.

On the other hand, you put a speed guy like McKnight outside, you just lead him deep because and he's gonna fly by his man. Let him make the catch or draw the interference call. Or give him a comeback route.

Putting McKnight outside makes the safety pick his poison. McKnight's and Chambers' speed open up the middle for Gadsden, who will outrun a LB and out-man the nickelback, or the TE. Gadsden WILL get open over the middle also because he runs good routes.

Finally, I would prefer a starting tandem of Chambers and Gadsden. McKnight has good size. But starting OG would give the Phins TWO big, physical WRs who can simply out-man a CB for the ball. You can't leave arguably the NFL's best hands on the bench. Plus, OG and CC are unquestionably the two best blocking WRs on the roster.

This is not to say that the 3rd man, whoever he is, won't see lots of time opposite Chambers in 2 WR sets. Just think that OG gives us our best starting tandem.

Fiedler had 5 fourth quarter comebacks. GREAT! But here's a questions you're not looking at.....

How many of those comebacks were from mistakes caused by him? How many holes did he put us in?

I'm not dogging him at all. No sir. I'm just saying that if he put us in the hole, the comeback should only even it out. He shouldn't get credit for fixing a mistake he created.

Does anyone have those stats about how many times he did something that put us down? I think it'd be a eye opener to use in comparison. You know, take the good with the bad.

Originally posted by IceStorm
Fiedler had 5 fourth quarter comebacks. GREAT! But here's a questions you're not looking at.....

How many of those comebacks were from mistakes caused by him? How many holes did he put us in?

I'm not dogging him at all. No sir. I'm just saying that if he put us in the hole, the comeback should only even it out. He shouldn't get credit for fixing a mistake he created.

Does anyone have those stats about how many times he did something that put us down? I think it'd be a eye opener to use in comparison. You know, take the good with the bad.

Ice, that's exactly the mark of a good player, one who makes a mistake, but can overcome it and get the W anyway..This also gives the team confidence that they can come back from mistakes they make..Especially in their QB, who they now know can bring them back..I was a Dan Man and it took me a while to get over not having him there..But Jay has won me over and now I support him wholeheartedly...He's proven himself over and over again..Think of it this way, the first half of last seasons, he's throwing interceptions...(and we still won)..the second half he was improving while everyone around him was looking tired..The drop part of our season that everyone refers to...His ability to cut down the mistakes kept us in those games and generally won them for us. Think about it. You can't say the D kept us in the game, they were giving up running yardage like there wasn't no tomorrow. So that meant Jay and the O was on the field a lot less (throwing more) and we won.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want Chambers and Gadsden starting, but moving Gadsden to the slot on 3 receiver sets.

Jay Fiedler is far from one of the problems on the Dolphins.

Originally posted by Dolfan984
I want Chambers and Gadsden starting, but moving Gadsden to the slot on 3 receiver sets.

Jay Fiedler is far from one of the problems on the Dolphins.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

One more thing though, when you guys talk about the third corner coming in and playing the slot receiver, I think you are forgetting one thing....How many teams do the same thing as the fins and move one of their top corners(Surtain) to the slot and let the third corner(Fletcher) play the outside?....Gadsden in the slot wouldn't necessarily create a mismatch.

I don't know how many teams but I still wouldn't do it unless you have a clear size mismatch going on against the slot CB. He just doesn't have the agility to play slot effectively and take advantage of the space the slot WR is usually given.

Back
Top Bottom