Sporting news on the Fins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sporting news on the Fins

poppy

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Two things from this week's Sporting News:

From Caught on the Fly's Column:
"Not a bad deal for Dave Wannstedt, huh? Less responsibility but not less money, plus more years on his contract. And as far as Fly can tell, Wannstedt still gets to take off December and January."

OUCH

From Matt Hayes:
"SPURRIER IS NO QUITTER"
"In case you didn't know---that is, in case you live in a cave---Steve Spurrier has an ego the size of Siberia. Do you really think he wants his lasting image as an NFL coach to be that of a quitter? Forget about a return to college football; he has nothing left to prove. Spurrier will take a year off to recharge then have a staff and a plan ready for his return to the NFL in 2005.
There was reason to believe when Spurrier took the job in Washington two years ago that he would be successful in the NFL, only not with the Redskins and meddling owner Dan Snyder. My prediction: Spurrier will choke down his pride and wait for the Dolphins to collapse again in December, then humbly accept Wayne Huizenga's offer to coach a franchise that can't seem to find a postseason. He'll keep successful defensive coordinator Jim Bates---Spurrier's first coordinator at Florida in 1990 before some guy named Ron Zook---and fill the remainder of his staff with experienced NFL assistants. He'll have control over personnel and he'll have and experienced quarterback---say, former Jaguar Mark Brunell, whom Spurrier admired during his days in Gainesville.
They'll have to fire Spurrier to get him out of the league this time."

Well, not sure where he gets 'he'll have control over personnel' as that's what this whole week has been about-the coach NOT having that control. Whoever the GM brings in next (if he does) they won't have personnel control.

Sounds like a decent scenario to me, provided Spurrier wouldn't get rid of Ricky the way he did Stephen Davis in Washington.

all the more reason to root for dave to be successful this year, please no spurrier.

everybody knows spurrier aint doin no mo NFL. Not fun league.

that's garbage

so you mean to tell me, that the dolphins are going through this whole song and dance to find a GM, only to fail next year, fire wanny, and strip the GM of his personell power or dismantle the position alltogether. Just to hire Spurrier and give him complete control over the team and personell decisions.... yeah right.

Trust me if we don't make the playoffs next year, it will be wanny's head, not the GM, especially since he isn't building a team from scratch but working with an existing team, with all of it's strenghts and weaknessess. The only way I can see the GM getting fired is if he totally messes up the roster and the draft this offseason and even still, the chance of him getting fired is slim. Look at Terry Bradway from the Jets, his incompetant decisons cost the jets this season and he still has a job, even though Herm and Him do not get along. (No is wasn't Chad's injury, becasue they had no viable receiver threat until Moss emerged, Conway and Chrebet sucked worse than DT this year)

This article is pure BS, and it's obvious that it's written by a Steve Spurrier fan...

I can see the possibilty of Steve Spurrier coaching the dolphins especially if Wanny fails but this organization will not regress and get rid of the GM position, especially not next year, and when you give a coach final say over personell, the GM is only a paper pushing token with no power. Which GM do you know would accept a position like that.

another thing

Spurrier has shown already that he has no clue about aquiring NFL caliber talent, He was forced to take Patrick Ramsey by Daniel Snyder, Remember the Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerfel debacle. Not to mention, his reluctance to use his OC. If Spurrier comes back, it will be with limited power.

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
Well, not sure where he gets 'he'll have control over personnel' as that's what this whole week has been about-the coach NOT having that control. Whoever the GM brings in next (if he does) they won't have personnel control.

Its already been reported as Mueller saying he doesnt want it because Wanny should NOT be HC and he doesnt get the best out of his players and Wanny wants hands on for the draft too!!!....I dont know how to do the link thing but its TRUE!!...Dont forget that Wanny has not signed the 2 year extention!!...This could very well be Wanny's last year!!!

Originally posted by musphinzfan

Its already been reported as Mueller saying he doesnt want it because Wanny should NOT be HC and he doesnt get the best out of his players and Wanny wants hands on for the draft too!!!....I dont know how to do the link thing but its TRUE!!...Dont forget that Wanny has not signed the 2 year extention!!...This could very well be Wanny's last year!!!

What site was this on?

I personally would love for Spurrier to come back.........and coach the Pats, Bills or Jets......

His college style gun n fun worked because there weren't enough quality corners etc. on opposing teams. The NFL is all about talent and is a different world. He belongs in collge.....but he's more then welcome to coach someone else in the AFCE :lol:

Originally posted by jbond
I personally would love for Spurrier to come back.........and coach the Pats, Bills or Jets......

His college style gun n fun worked because there weren't enough quality corners etc. on opposing teams. The NFL is all about talent and is a different world. He belongs in collge.....but he's more then welcome to coach someone else in the AFCE :lol:

Now THAT is funny! :lol:

Florida's Alumni will force the firing of Zook next season if the Gators do not contend for a title, then Spurrier will return to the Gators.

Back
Top Bottom