Sports Weekly's top CBs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Weekly's top CBs

Madison is still in his 20s. He'll bounce back. Woodson will as well. Aeneas Williams also has to come back from a major injury. So he might fall.

I also think McKenzie is way low. He's probably the most underrated CB in the league. To put Duane Starks ahead of him is an insult. That Top 10 looks pretty good, though.

I'd like to see those rankings after 2003.

In my opinion Phillip Buchanon will be #1 on that list at this time next year. For anybody who saw him play, you saw a rookie make more plays in 4 games than 90% of the DB's on that list make in a 16 game season. He isn't big or physical, but his quickness is right there with PRIMETIME back in the day... With him, CWood, and Rod Woodson, I don't think there is a better secondary in the NFL.. and that should become apparent after 2003 as well...

Buchanon leading the list next year? You forget he struggled some as a rookie and is coming back from a season ending injury.

Fred Smoot is by far the most overrated player on that list. He got TORCHED all of last season and the coaches stated they disappointed he was struggling so much.

Gotta love Raider fan though, Woodson is so old he should retire. They are shopping CWood for a reason, his leg problems are persistent. (I played CB in college for a year and broke my leg, it hasn't been right ever since. I've lost alot of explosion and ability to change direction, not to mention my ankle folds like an accordion every time I step wrong.)

In my opinion Phillip Buchanon will be #1 on that list at this time next year.

I doubt #1, but he should be in the top 10. He played great in those few games he was in last year.

SMad you laughed at Woodson being 10th? Personally, I think the guy is a pretty good corner (when he isn't hurt) which he is..often.

He's more hype than anything & people are finally starting to realize that. He's still living of his Heisman days at Michigan. I've seen him get burned so many times to have him rated any higher.

Also, I was laughing because I was actual surprised that someone saw what I saw to rate him that low. Normally when you hear someone talk about top CBs Woodson's name is mentioned.

I was going to write that Ty Law was a bit high but looking at the other CBs I have to agree with the choice. Madison, Law and Vincent have decline a little, but the fact that they still are in the top 5 prove that they were a lot better than the rest of the league.

This is done on a point system, taking into consideration: speed, acceleration, awareness, agility, tackling, & toughness(similar to Madden ratings).

1-Champ Bailey, Was...92
2-Patrick Surtain, Mia...91
3-Ty Law, NE...90
4-Sam Madison, Mia...89

Madison was rated #1 last year with a 92, but lost 3 points. Surtain gained 2. According to the ratings only Aeneas Williams is a more aware CB, only Champ Bailey has more acceleration, & only Woodson & Bailey are faster. Surtain is rated high because of his tackling ability.

Forgot to say, anyone notice that the T-Buck clone, 2001 pro bowl CB is not on that list? Deltha O'Neal. That was the biggest shock to me, but it shouldn't.

Also two weeks ago Sports Weekly rated the top DEs & DTs, & last week they rated the ILBs & OLBs. If you guys want me to post them just ask.

Next week they rate olineman.

Originally posted by SMadison29
Forgot to say, anyone notice that the T-Buck clone, 2001 pro bowl CB is not on that list? Deltha O'Neal. That was the biggest shock to me, but it shouldn't.

Also two weeks ago Sports Weekly rated the top DEs & DTs, & last week they rated the ILBs & OLBs. If you guys want me to post them just ask.

Next week they rate olineman.

I`m sure a lot of us would like to see those ratings. Thanks.

Originally posted by dolfans1988
Madison is still the best cornerback no matter what.. did yall see him in the Pro bowl? i think he will rebound this year
and lead in INTS

No he's not. Pat's better than him and has been for a couple of years now. Sam's still very good but he can't tackle like Pat can and Pat's at the top of the list for good reason.

Ozzy rules!!

The Eagles secondary will not be as good this year because they will be missing Hugh Douglas' passrush. The same way that Taylor's consistant pressure makes your CB's, which are very good, look great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Original take by Phinstd
Buchanon leading the list next year? You forget he struggled some as a rookie and is coming back from a season ending injury.
Gotta love Raider fan though, Woodson is so old he should retire. They are shopping CWood for a reason, his leg problems are persistent. (I played CB in college for a year and broke my leg, it hasn't been right ever since. I've lost alot of explosion and ability to change direction, not to mention my ankle folds like an accordion every time I step wrong.)

- Buchanon made his share of rookie mistakes... but I don't expect him to make them again next year. Plus the plays he made overshadowed the mistakes he did make.

- Considering R.Woodson led the league in interceptions and single-handedly held the Raiders secondary together when our top 3 CBs were out with injuries, I don't really think age is an issue with him.

-CWood never broke his leg. He suffered a stress fracture last year and turf toe the year before. None of those injuries are remotely career threatening and I doubt one had anything to do with the other...

Original take by SMadison29
This is done on a point system, taking into consideration: speed, acceleration, awareness, agility, tackling, & toughness(similar to Madden ratings).

1-Champ Bailey, Was...92
2-Patrick Surtain, Mia...91
3-Ty Law, NE...90
4-Sam Madison, Mia...89

Madison was rated #1 last year with a 92, but lost 3 points. Surtain gained 2. According to the ratings only Aeneas Williams is a more aware CB, only Champ Bailey has more acceleration, & only Woodson & Bailey are faster. Surtain is rated high because of his tackling ability.

If that's the case, then this whole list is a joke. I can't believe this list has CWood that fast when Buchanon is faster, quicker, and more agile.

Here is a link to some times, but Buchanon has run faster than a 4.36 in last year's minicamp...

http://www.couchscout.com/raid.htm

Originally posted by chanesaw
The Eagles secondary will not be as good this year because they will be missing Hugh Douglas' passrush. The same way that Taylor's consistant pressure makes your CB's, which are very good, look great.

I have always thought of it the exact opposite. I think Taylor benefits from Sam/Pat more then the other way around.

I think a good DE helps the secondary. From my experience, you can throw on any secondary if you have the time. The WRs and the QB know where the play is going, all they need is time to get it executed. If a DE cuts into that time, hopefully forces a mistake, it helps the secondary get the picks, or a misfired pass at worst. If a DE isn't getting pressure, a QB can sit in the pocket for a good 5 seconds, with that much time, Deion freakin Sanders couldn't hold a WR down......

McKenzie IS way too low; Brian Kelly a 3rd corner till last year rated above established players? Will Allen below Will Peterson?? Duane Starks at 15?? He was awful last year. Aeneas Williams has lost 2 steps - he's way too high.

Madison will be back with a vengeance this year. That might make Surtain work harder also and then next year we'll have the top two in the league. If Fletcher were smart, he would pick the brains of those two and make himself a top CB also. I think he's blowing a great chance to be great.

Originally posted by chanesaw

That's a good point. Both positions have to compliment each other IMO. Like the point you've already mentioned, but also our D plays man to man the majority of the time and I've seen plenty of "coverage sacks", where the QB had ample time to make a decision to throw the ball, but had nowhere to throw and then eventually ends up gettin sacked.

For a defense to be successful though, it has to have a good pass rush.

Back
Top Bottom