Starks and Soliai...Why let both walk? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Starks and Soliai...Why let both walk?

Fins_of_Fury

In a contract year
Reaction score
From the info being reported on our DT situation it looks as though we are ready to let Starks and Soliai both test free agency. It doesent make sense to not keep one or the other (which I though was the plan all along). Does anyone have any sound reasoning as to why it's a good idea to let both walk?

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue I'm having isn't letting them walk - it's letting them walk WITHOUT making a contract offer. And apparently nothing has been offered to either.

I agree with you. If it were up to me, I would try to resign one of them (leaning more toward Soliai) and draft a DT in round 2 or 3, to give us a similar 3 man rotation like we used last year

For Starks because we already have a solid 3 technique in Odrick that is willing to play for 6 million less, and it never seemed Starks was too fond of the organization or getting the tag last year.

Soliai is looking to make bank and the FA class and draft class is deep and there's no need to overpay a 2 down 1 Tech, when there's a more than capable 3 down player in Linval Joseph out in free agency.

For Starks because we already have a solid 3 technique in Odrick that is willing to play for 6 million less, and it never seemed Starks was too fond of the organization or getting the tag last year.

Soliai is looking to make bank and the FA class and draft class is deep and there's no need to overpay a 2 down 1 Tech, when there's a more than capable 3 down player in Linval Joseph out in free agency.

I like Joseph alot. I just feel like Big Paul should get a deal here. he is home grown talent, and already knows our defense.

Look both are 30 & looking to land a big deal. I would prefer Solai but he is now just a 2 down DT so I'm not sure he is worth the $ he is asking for. I don't mind him testing the market to see his value & maybe he comes back. Plus DT seems to be a strength in this years draft.

Looks like CallMeDaddy and Rhoadsy13 covered that one well.

I like Joseph alot. I just feel like Big Paul should get a deal here. he is home grown talent, and already knows our defense.

I don't think you overpay a 30 year old player in Soliai over a very solid 25 year old Linval Joseph just getting ready to come into his prime, just because "he already knows the defense." I like Paul, and I wouldn't mind seeing him back, but you don't give in and overpay him when there's a deep crop of DTs to choose from this offseason.

Looks like CallMeDaddy and Rhoadsy13 covered that one well.

They definitely gave me some good reasons why we are not to interested in resigning them. I just get concerned that we wont be able to fill those holes with equally impactful starters. We already have to improvise a new O-Line, i cant fathom resculpting the entire defensive front as well in 1 season.

I don't think you overpay a 30 year old player in Soliai over a very solid 25 year old Linval Joseph just getting ready to come into his prime, just because "he already knows the defense." I like Paul, and I wouldn't mind seeing him back, but you don't give in and overpay him when there's a deep crop of DTs to choose from this offseason.

Can you give me an idea of the contract Paul is commanding as opposed to say a Linval Joseph, just to give me some perspective?

Can you give me an idea of the contract Paul is commanding as opposed to say a Linval Joseph, just to give me some perspective?

Honestly in my opinion, I'm going to take Joseph over Soliai if we could sign either at the same price. That's just my opinion though.

Apparently Joseph is looking for around 5-6 million annually, while Soliai I expect to want that as his floor and expect a couple million north of that, it really depends how much Pittsburgh is willing to spend on him, because apparently they want him pretty bad.

Better, younger talent on the market and in the draft that wont cost as much. We will need to pay Odrick next off season and he is much younger and has an every down motor.

Thank you Paul and Randy for your great play here in Miami, enjoy your big deals and I wish you continued, healthy success on Sundays.

They definitely gave me some good reasons why we are not to interested in resigning them. I just get concerned that we wont be able to fill those holes with equally impactful starters. We already have to improvise a new O-Line, i cant fathom resculpting the entire defensive front as well in 1 season.

My concern as well.I don't think the D line was the problem last year. That would be the LB's.
The management is actively shopping for a MLB so they see it as well.
I'd try to resign one of them. Take your pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starks is more talented and more expensive than Soliai. And he's disgruntled, so no surprise he's gone. But I'm a little surprised we didn't try to resign Soliai. He makes 6 million a year, (or less, I think) and even with a raise it would be manageable. He likes it here and I think he'd stay with a fair contract.

As far as Joseph, it's not like there's no competition. He wants 35-40 million, and he'll go to the highest bidder, or else stay with his team, who he has openly said he'd rather be with. What happens if Soliai and Starks are gone, and we lose out on Joseph? Sure, we'll pick up someone else, but it doesn't mean it will be an upgrade. It may be a lateral move, or a downgrade at the position.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

My concern as well.I don't think the D line was the problem last year. That would be the LB's.
The management is actively shopping for a MLB so they see it as well.
I'd try to resign one of them. Take your pick.

My take on it too. Keep one, makes no difference which. But losing both, makes me nervous.

Back
Top Bottom