Starks and Soliai...Why let both walk? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Starks and Soliai...Why let both walk?

Starks is more talented and more expensive than Soliai. And he's disgruntled, so no surprise he's gone. But I'm a little surprised we didn't try to resign Soliai. He makes 6 million a year, (or less, I think) and even with a raise it would be manageable. He likes it here and I think he'd stay with a fair contract.

As far as Joseph, it's not like there's no competition. He wants 35-40 million, and he'll go to the highest bidder, or else stay with his team, who he has openly said he'd rather be with. What happens if Soliai and Starks are gone, and we lose out on Joseph? Sure, we'll pick up someone else, but it doesn't mean it will be an upgrade. It may be a lateral move, or a downgrade at the position.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

My take on it too. Keep one, makes no difference which. But losing both, makes me nervous.

5 years 30-35 million is not a bad contract for Joseph considering he's 25, talented, a 3 down player, and the structuring of the contract will really tell how good or bad it is. Soliai is 30 years old and looking for his last big payday that'll be over 6 million a year. Personally, I'd rather give Joseph a 5 year 35 million contract that is frontloaded than give Soliai a 3 year 24 million contract with 16 million guaranteed.

And it does matter which one you bring back with Soliai or Starks considering Starks can't play the 1 technique, and would be severely out of place on the Defense if we played him there. That means we'd probably have to grab some average 1 tech in FA unless you're going to pay 6-7 million for 2 DTs, which would be pointless IMO. At least with Soliai we'll have a spot for him in the starting rotation.

Joesph could get his 35-40 million over 4-6 years. It's the guaranteed money that's the issue. If the deal is really a 3yr 24 million deal structured as 5yr 50 million deal.

As long Aponte makes sure there are opt clause in case of injury, poor performance, etc

Starks is the most versatile player on our DL and one of the best DT's in the league overall. He gets so underrated on this message board it's crazy. I like how Odrick has been doing these last two years, and I like Soliai, but neither is in Starks class.

I think they both walk, but why make an offer and bid against yourself? Let the market work.

I could understand why a new GM would not want to pay top dollar for both these players... We are attached because we've watched them develop into a solid tandem but we weren't winning with them. We were good but nothing really special. If you ask fans around the league about either one of they guys, you will be welcomed with a a bunch of confusion. I'm not in favor with paying "no name" players top money. Let's move on and hope this new GM can bring in some young talent that will maintain the strength of our line.

I know it's a lot to hope for but at this point what do we have to lose...

i just think we are breaking up what has been the strength of our team for what ? To save a few bucks ?
Let the market decide their price and make a reasonable offer to both. Maybe one stays and keeps our D line basically intact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could understand why a new GM would not want to pay top dollar for both these players... We are attached because we've watched them develop into a solid tandem but we weren't winning with them. We were good but nothing really special. If you ask fans around the league about either one of they guys, you will be welcomed with a a bunch of confusion. I'm not in favor with paying "no name" players top money. Let's move on and hope this new GM can bring in some young talent that will maintain the strength of our line.

I know it's a lot to hope for but at this point what do we have to lose...

Hate this type of mindset. It would be like calling Walter Jones a mediocre LT because his Seahawk teams were bad.

I'm Hickey has a plan on what will go down, it's probably along the lines of letting the market set the price for DT and will make a run at one of them, or he has a replacement player in mind via FA or draft. I wouldn't be shocked to see Starks back and Big paul let go without an offer just based on his agent being the blow hard he is. For all we know, there are plans to make run at Raji if packers release him and get him to play DT(believe he was used at nt though), point is, we aren't working the Ireland method anymore of blow our money load at random to get name players, give me players that shore up the line and come cheaper so we can work on other parts of the team and I'll be happy

I think Hickey needs the salary cap to sign veteran Offensive lineman. I think there is planty of depth in the first 4 rounds of the draft to draft a DT that can play and wont eat up salary cap. Also can bring in another FA DT at lower cost. We had one of the worst run defenses this year and teams also ran right up the middle. I think Hickey wants to put the money on new middle LB and OL and use draft for DT and maybe sign a backup FA DT.

I'm Hickey has a plan on what will go down, it's probably along the lines of letting the market set the price for DT and will make a run at one of them, or he has a replacement player in mind via FA or draft. I wouldn't be shocked to see Starks back and Big paul let go without an offer just based on his agent being the blow hard he is. For all we know, there are plans to make run at Raji if packers release him and get him to play DT(believe he was used at nt though), point is, we aren't working the Ireland method anymore of blow our money load at random to get name players, give me players that shore up the line and come cheaper so we can work on other parts of the team and I'll be happy

Well that's what the 1 Technique is, a 4-3 NT.

The front office has already came out and said that they would like them back, but that they should go out and test the free agency and see what there value brings and to see if we match them. It's the same thing the Ravens have been doing for years. I am fine with it, better that then to low ball them and sour the taste in there mouth and not give us a shot to match an offer.

For Starks because we already have a solid 3 technique in Odrick that is willing to play for 6 million less, and it never seemed Starks was too fond of the organization or getting the tag last year.

Soliai is looking to make bank and the FA class and draft class is deep and there's no need to overpay a 2 down 1 Tech, when there's a more than capable 3 down player in Linval Joseph out in free agency.

Joseph is a top notch player and we'd be lucky to get him, but apparently according to Omar, we can't run Coyle's multiple fronts without Soliai, and Joseph is not a 3-4 Nose.

✔ @OmarKelly
"@amjamrozek: Linval Joseph has the size and he is a FA."» not a nose, not even close. And was the 4th best lineman on his own line.
✔ @OmarKelly
If Paul Soliai doesn't re-sign a 3-4 scheme will be IMPOSSIBLE to run unless a new nose tackle falls out the sky (cough, cough Wilfork).

Hate this type of mindset. It would be like calling Walter Jones a mediocre LT because his Seahawk teams were bad.

The D-Line was the strength of our team and what exactly did that do for us? Their were times when they couldn't get the stop we needed. Management has been criticized countless times for loading the D-line. Believe it or not we would survive without these guys. I'm for keeping 1 of 2 or both just don't over pay. Let's be smart, which I think we can all agree on.

Back
Top Bottom