Start Sage next week? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Start Sage next week?

That may have been the game plan but I'm talking more about attitude. I guess it's understandable for them to not expect too much going into Green Bay with their backup QB starting for them, but they just don't seem to be trying all that hard (espec. the O LINE).

No to Sage. He looked like a deer in the proverbial headlights.

Ray actually showed improvement. The rest fo the team took a giant step backward.

Originally posted by KidAmnesiac

And you can't tell me that ricky handling the ball is as scary as lucas dropping back to pass. No way.

You wanna know what is scary?! Any QB dropping back to pass and having Spriggs as your LT.

You see, you have to consider everything when you try to narrow it down to one thing....you really can't do that.

The offensive line played poorly. When Lucas had chances downfield, he made some good throws that got fumbled and dropped. You cannot have everything go wrong and not allow that more than one person contributed to this loss. The Bills game is a given....but this one was on the team.

You cannot single out Ray and say he screwed this up. That is why you go back as a team and try to get better at the little things that messed you up.
As a team if they play better and Ray continues to show improvement, I think they can compete.

For what it is worth, I don't like Ray as a QB. I just don't think that some fans are giving him a fair deal. I see the same thing happening to him as what happened to Jay Fiedler.
However, although I don't like him as a QB, I can still see that he did show marked improvement from the Bills game to the Packers game...those who want to be loud and and say nothing will not recognize this.

This about says it all:

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
No to Sage. He looked like a deer in the proverbial headlights.

Ray actually showed improvement. The rest fo the team took a giant step backward.

Sage is NOT the answer. At least, no more than Lucas is.

Lucas DID show improvement in this game and there's little doubt that he'll continue to improve (especially against the Jets). So why change things now?

Bottom line: we're stuck with Lucas whether we like it or not. Plus, anything could happen after Jay comes back. I'd rather Lucas keep getting better so that if he has to play (even for spot duty) in a playoff game (IF we get there) then he will really be ready.

As for THE REST OF THE TEAM... I think it's time they WOKE UP!!!

You hear me Zack Thomas? You hear me Freeman? Madison? Konrad? Spriggs?!? And, really, the entire o-line.

This team just got a serious wake up call. And chances are that things aren't going to be a whole lot of fun in Dolphin camp this week. AND THEY SHOULDN'T BE!

Lets hope that Wanny steps things up and that this team starts playing like one again.

My .02

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom

Couldnt have said it better Dr Z. (or in fewer words :D ).

Yes the OLine isn't doing its job but Lucas looks like he's about to get sacked even when there's no player within 10 feet of him. I'm sure the OLine is just looking downfield to try to make the tackle when Lucas throws the inevitable INT.

Yeah Wanny better get these guys asses in gear BIG TIME. Unless the team has given up.

Yes the OLine isn't doing its job but Lucas looks like he's about to get sacked even when there's no player within 10 feet of him. I'm sure the OLine is just looking downfield to try to make the tackle when Lucas throws the inevitable INT.

Yeah Wanny better get these guys asses in gear BIG TIME. Unless the team has given up.

....and how often is it that no player is within 10 feet of him? During commercial breaks?

You act as if Ray receives the football and takes 3 steps forward. He isn't getting enough consistent protection.

What average fans don't realize is that practice doesn't make you that much better. Gameday is what makes you a better player. You cannot practice exactly what a defense is going to throw at you.
Therefore when the game gets going, and you see stuff that you've never seen before, it becomes a learning on the fly experience...which has a significantly less chance of being a successful play.
How often does this happen? A hell of a lot. Just look at third down. You know a team will blitz, but QBs still get sacked because the oline gets confused on who to block.

Throw a QB in a game time situation where he and the oline are confused and you have the scenario that you've already mentioned.

Subtract those fumbles and drops in the first half, and we may have seen Ray play the second half just like the first. I truly think that is a definite possibility. Without the fumbles, we move the ball consistently and have enough success passing the ball to let the running game get bigger chunks of yards.

You can also bet that Lucas's confidence would have been up to.

Re: QB

Originally posted by nyrican
you think that by putting in a third that is a third string qb in the game is going to give you a chance against us

you gotta be kidding me...

Who let the trash in our forum?

Originally posted by Superself
....and how often is it that no player is within 10 feet of him? During commercial breaks?

You act as if Ray receives the football and takes 3 steps forward. He isn't getting enough consistent protection.

What average fans don't realize is that practice doesn't make you that much better. Gameday is what makes you a better player. You cannot practice exactly what a defense is going to throw at you.
Therefore when the game gets going, and you see stuff that you've never seen before, it becomes a learning on the fly experience...which has a significantly less chance of being a successful play.
How often does this happen? A hell of a lot. Just look at third down. You know a team will blitz, but QBs still get sacked because the oline gets confused on who to block.

Throw a QB in a game time situation where he and the oline are confused and you have the scenario that you've already mentioned.

Subtract those fumbles and drops in the first half, and we may have seen Ray play the second half just like the first. I truly think that is a definite possibility. Without the fumbles, we move the ball consistently and have enough success passing the ball to let the running game get bigger chunks of yards.

You can also bet that Lucas's confidence would have been up to.

Totally agree. We were moving the ball very well on them those first drives. If you want to beat a good team on the road you have to turn their turnovers into scores. What did we do after the Favre intercept...... 2 turnovers of our own. That's the difference between a losing and winning team period. The second turnover turned the game around. Before that Ray looked really good and was hitting receivers in stride. He was driving the team and showed that he can. The O-Line is without a doubt a big problem for us...... bigger than the QB. I had wondered if we could leave Spriggs in at tackle and put Dix back to guard to fix the soft middle BUT Spriggs looked like crap last night so I take back that idea completely!!!!!

Re: No, Lucas should start

It never surprises me how much the average football fan can whine and ask for changes. We can cure the world's lack of freshwater problem easily by collecting all the tears into buckets.

Lucas showed improvement in a game he didn't lose. That is the positive you take from this game. Take that positive and shut the hell up.

Instead of looking at where this game was lost, too many of you whiney a$$ fans want to put the microscope on Ray and detail how he didn't look like Dan Marino in his prime.

The fumbles lost this game before Ray started playing poorly. Flip the coin and erase the fumbles and we have a situation where Ray gets better. PERIOD!

Of course, average football fans who gnaw at the bit of ignorance every chance they get will whine for change just for the hell of it. It doesn't matter whether it is Jay or Ray or whoever, it constantly has to be something that they have to be right about.

Oh I am so sorry! I did not know you were such a knowledgable football fan!

Get off you better than everyone else high horse you arrogant @$@^%@$^

We can have the opinion that Lucas sucks without you calling us idiots that don't know anything!

I have followd the phins for 20yrs and know football. Maybe you are the ignorant one if you can not see that Lucas in no good!

Re: Re: No, Lucas should start

Originally posted by JTK
Oh I am so sorry! I did not know you were such a knowledgable football fan!

Get off you better than everyone else high horse you arrogant @$@^%@$^

We can have the opinion that Lucas sucks without you calling us idiots that don't know anything!

I have followd the phins for 20yrs and know football. Maybe you are the ignorant one if you can not see that Lucas in no good!

I don't care how long you have followed this team. If all you can say is "Lucas sucks", it doesn't lend credence in my opinion to what you KNOW about the game from watching it all those years.

Seems like to me my post hit home with you. If that is the case then instead of trashing it, I'd suggest you read it again and learn from it because it is the truth. Maybe that is what hurts you the most.

It's not that lucas can't be compared to dan marino in his prime. It's that lucas can't be compared to Rob Johnson in his prime! Lucas' happy feet are killing this team. He has no touch on the ball and doesn't seem to know the routes anyway. He thinks he can make passes that he has no business throwing. He should use his running ability more (which i suppose he he tried to do last night) or take the sack if it comes to it. Let me tell you there are plenty above average fins fans out there who will agree that lucas sucks.

It's not that lucas can't be compared to dan marino in his prime. It's that lucas can't be compared to Rob Johnson in his prime! Lucas' happy feet are killing this team. He has no touch on the ball and doesn't seem to know the routes anyway. He thinks he can make passes that he has no business throwing. He should use his running ability more (which i suppose he he tried to do last night) or take the sack if it comes to it. Let me tell you there are plenty above average fins fans out there who will agree that lucas sucks.

Well I somewhat disagree. Take a closer look at some of Lucas's throws last night, and the touch was there in the first half.
Early on, his throws were pretty good. Even out in the flat where you have to have more than the average touch on the ball to get it to the RB. This shows improvement over what he did in Buffalo.

I'm not making comparisons to nobody except to the Ray Lucas in Buffalo versus the Ray Lucas we saw last night.

As I mentioned before, the happy feet were a result of being pressured...which is a direct result of poor offensive line play. You just cannot discount that. This didn't happen early on. Before the fumbles, Ray showed confidence and poise out there and it looked as if things were about to look good for him.

Re: Re: Re: No, Lucas should start

I don't care how long you have followed this team. If all you can say is "Lucas sucks", it doesn't lend credence in my opinion to what you KNOW about the game from watching it all those years.

Seems like to me my post hit home with you. If that is the case then instead of trashing it, I'd suggest you read it again and learn from it because it is the truth. Maybe that is what hurts you the most.

I can see why your name is Superself. You are really full of yourself.
I know the chances are Sage will not be any better. But we know what we have in Ray. It can not hurt to put him in. Or if Lucas starts and struggles again next week than he should be yanked.
He does suck. You say he was doing so well until the fumbles put us behind. Nonsense. All he was doing was little dump passes. Norv does not trust him to throw anything down field. He looks at his reciever the whole play. He throws the ball into the ground when he has open recievers. I don't know Sage is the answer but I can see that Ray is not.

Back
Top Bottom