Starting Over : Anyone Against This?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Starting Over : Anyone Against This??

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Reaction score
Let's take a long hard look at this team. This team that has been hyped up to be the leading AFC Super Bowl contender over the last few seasons....

Where has it gone over those years?? Not even close to reaching the Super Bowl. It's been more of a playoff "whipping boy" for the AFC's truly elite, than a true Super Bowl contender. Why is this the case, and why has it stayed that way even when we appear to upgrade needed positions on a yearly basis???.....

Maybe we're not really upgrading at all. Maybe we're just treading water, or just changing old parts for more old parts in hopes of a chance of finding that missing piece {wherever that may be}....

Two years ago, it was the lack of a running game - Enter RB R. Williams and the problem is solved right??.....WRONG. Even after finishing with a whopping 1800 yards in 2002, we still didn't even reach the playoff picture. What a waste of an incredible season!!!!

During the recent off-season, talk about team ladership on defense was addressed by adding veterans OLB J. Seau / DB T. Buckley / DT J. Zgonina / and SS S. Knight. Thus far, Seau has been the only guy who has made an impact in terms of getting the guys fired up....

Was heart and more motivation really all this defense needed though???....

In reality, these additions have added very little in terms of backbone when it comes to a defense that spends most of it's time lying flat on it's back when faced with a challenge or dealing with adversity. Nothing has changed really. We're still giving up the same big plays during crucial times, and we're still looking like the same paper defense we've always been.....

This defense is actually playing worse than last year. Especially at home where it should be dominant. This is a very touchy subject simply because of all the hype surrounding the defense....

As a long time Phinz fan, it's almost considered a sin to bash the Phinz defense for some strange reason, but that's where all of the Phinz money is, so why not take a look at what we're getting for our money???....

Are the NFL's current leading defenses spending as much on defense as we are???....Highly unlikely. The Pats don't pride themselves or boast about having the best defense in the AFC, and yet they play much tighter and much more physical than we ever have. Did you know that the Pats have reached the Super Bowl at least once every decade???....

I think I know why too. It's because they don't pride themselves as being the team to beat year in and year out. They have a couple of off-seasons now and then to help them rebuild for the long haul. This is something Phinz have NEVER DONE, and should start considering if they want to win a Super Bowl before the next generation of Phinz fans stat to arrive....

When was the last time this team had a decent high first round pick that wasn't wasted???....When was the last time we were stacked with draft picks to help for the future of this franchise???

I look at a team like Philly. Here's a team that had a few poor seasons a few years back, and as a result have stacked their team with young, fresh new talent all around. They've been one of the strongest teams in the NFC over the last four years, and don't look like their heading downward anytime soon. Not to mention they dumped there best DL player H. Douglas during the off-season....

Maybe the Phinz are in desperate need of a few 5-11 seasons themselves. Maybe all the names, and all of the high salaries are meaningless afterall. I mean, who really fears the Phinz defense these days???....

Not the Houston Texans..... :lol:

Is it crazy to start over???.....Or is it an essential part of moving forward onto bigger and better things???.....

We've been sticking with the "just add a few players, and hunker-down" plan for quite some time now, and quite honestly, it's been a disappointment every single time....

I don't know about the rest of you, but I myself am growing tired of the same old year in and year out. Nobody else in the league seems to care that the Phinz have the winningest franchise in football. We take too much pride in thatIMO, especially when winning the Super Bolw is all that matters in reality....

There are no points for second place Phinz fans. And that's exactly where we've been since 1984.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!!

:fire:

one reason we cannot start over that easily is guaranteed money ag our cap. I am sure we have a huge cap hits for losing the likes of Sam, JT, Zach, Jay and others :(

I agree.

Let's bring back Jimmy Johnson. He would fire all the overprice player here and draft some new talent.
;)

After this year we can't do anything we should change this team and equilibrate the offense vs defense money we're spending.

Originally posted by dolphan39
one reason we cannot start over that easily is guaranteed money ag our cap. I am sure we have a huge cap hits for losing the likes of Sam, JT, Zach, Jay and others :(

Don't forget Mare...

That's what you get for extending each year everyone's contract.

The Ravens took the hit all in one year and almost made the playoffs. :eek:

Take a few 5-11 seasons? YOU TAKE A FEW 5-11 seasons......unlike you I am a season ticket holder and I want a decent product for my money....I somehow doubt that you are a dolphins fan, so always seem to suggest the most disastrous course of action.......as for the Eagles...check the ages on the players of their defense....yep, you guessed it, they ARE OLDER THAN OUR GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

So which is it Blitz? Jets, Pats, or Bills fan?

you raise good questions and make valid points. not that it changes anything of course, but you have to put an asterisk by last season because Jay got hurt, and Lucas (it is painful to even type his name) was horrid. if Jay is in during that stretch, Miami probably wins at least one more of those games, and possibly keeps momentum to win home field advantage and make a SB run.

I agree, but I don't think we need a dismantling. We need to decide you we NEED on defense and trade for picks who we can be without. With picks & any extra money, spend it on Offense.

1st Year-
Defense is a Need, but let’s say with this we drop from a "Top5" Defense to a "Top10".
Upgrade the Offense from "Bottom25" to a "Middle15".
Also try to improve our Special Teams 5-8 spots.

2-3 Year- Hopefully some of the younger players become gems. *Injury pending.
Defense - could move back into the Top6.
Offense - Break the Top10. -stretch
Special Teams - Solid.

Yeah I know it sounds easy - but I think it's worth a try.
The past 7 year formula hasn't gotten us close to the Bowl.

Originally posted by ARealFinsFan
Take a few 5-11 seasons? YOU TAKE A FEW 5-11 seasons......unlike you I am a season ticket holder and I want a decent product for my money....I somehow doubt that you are a dolphins fan, so always seem to suggest the most disastrous course of action.......as for the Eagles...check the ages on the players of their defense....yep, you guessed it, they ARE OLDER THAN OUR GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

So which is it Blitz? Jets, Pats, or Bills fan?
===========================================
BLITZ:

I've been a Phinz season ticket holder going on nine years pal. I was also born and raised in Ft. Lauderdale, so I've basically been a Phinz fan since let's see....uh...uh....birth???

Philly - 50.2 years of experince on defense.
Miami - 71 years of experience....

I did the math....Obviously you have problems adding.

This isn't a debate, it's a opinion, and if you don't like it, don't respond to it. Thanks....

PHINZ RULE!!!!:fire:

You Have screwed up math....I just did the math, the eagles have 70 years of experience on there starting defense....and thats because they benched two players that are now backups. If you go with there opening day defense, its 85.

The Dolphins have 83 years of experience............21 of those years come from NEW dolphins Sammy Knight and Junior Seau..... So I guess by your logic we just cut Knight and Seau and POOF...we have a young defense.

So Blitz, which team is it: Jets, Bills, or Pats?

BTW, where did you get your numbers? Did you make them up?

Were are your season tickets? I don't believe you on that either.

Yes, I say these opinions because I care about the team and organization. I've been a fan since I was 4 (born in NY, my dad took me to a Jets game - boy did that backfire on him.)

I think we could do some retooling and not record two 5-11 seasons. If we do so what, I think I'll rather see a younger SCRAPPING team try it heart out on both sides of the ball.
Then listen to the BS at the beginning of each season, and watch a bunch of cry babies stand around making excuses why they can't PUT TEAMS AWAY-Games & Standings.

Key Point
I remember after the Ravens won the Bowl. Dave Wannabe said, See that's what we have, A Great Defense and an Offense that plays "Not to Lose the Game".

I think he needs to get out of this mind set. A good Balance is what we need.

This is the last time I'm going to respond about this "age debate"...

Here are the numbers from the 2003 Athlon NFL Magazine....

Philly Defense
==========
DE - B. Whiting - 5 years
DT - C. Simon - 3 years
DT - D. Walker - 3 years
DE - D. Burgess - 2 years
OLB - C. Emmons - 7 years
MLB - M. Simoneau - 3 years
OLB - N. Wayne - 5 years
S - M. Lewis - 1 years
S - B. Dawkins - 7 years
DB - T. Vincent - 11 years
DB - B. Taylor - 8 years
====================
I'm sorry, my math was five years off. It's a total of 55 years....

Miami Defense
===========
DE - J. Taylor - 6 years
DT - T. Bowens - 9 years
DT - L. Chester - 5 years
DE - A. Ogunleye - 2 years
OLB - J. Seau - 13 years
MLB - Z. Thomas - 7 years
OLB - M. Greenwood - 2 years
S - B. Marion - 10 years
S - S. Knight - 6 years
DB - P. Surtain - 5 years
DB - S. Madison - 6 years
===================
Total = 71 years

I hope I've helped a rookie out....;)

PS. I sit in the 400 level. Is that sufficient enough for you??? Or do you want my exact row and seat number too???....

PHINZ RULE!!!!:fire:

Originally posted by ARealFinsFan
Dave never said that, dude. Stop making things up.

No man sereously he did. - yes it's not a total quote.
I'll try to prove it to you, but it may take some time.

The article was on the miami dolphins web site, sometime near spring training the season after Baltimore won. I remember thinking "Sh#t"!!! - Since I'm kinda a fan of scoring lots of points.

You know Kicking *** all 4 quarters. Dam I miss Dan!

Back
Top Bottom