Stokes to Become Asst GM | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stokes to Become Asst GM

I don't see Hickey getting canned too quickly either. My worry is that we're going to get caught in a leapfrog pattern where we change the head coach in a year, then we change the GM in 3 years, then a new coach in 5, then a new GM in 7... I'm not sure Ross has it in him to totally clean house in any given year.

Luckily, I dnt see Ross doing that, but yea....seems that all the fans ever want.

Not so sure. I think that might be why they hired Hickey instead of a bigger name. If Philbin is gone it might open the door to someone that wants/demands total control. If someone only wanted to come here if Hickey was gone, I don't think Hickey sticks. Then again a lot comes down to how things go this year. If the team is 5-11 I don't think Ross would have a problem firing then both for the right replacement.

Yea, to me, it would have to be a total clusterf*** of a year for both of them to be canned....just just missing the playoffs.

Yea, to me, it would have to be a total clusterf*** of a year for both of them to be canned....just just missing the playoffs.

not just*

sorry, my edit button isnt working here at work. We are using an outdated IE. =\

BnnMCzoIQAAsk5b-1.jpg

Eric Stokes enters his second season with the Buccaneers as the director of college scouting. He is responsible for coordinating and compiling the evaluations of all draft-eligible players, while overseeing the entire college scouting staff. Stokes also works closely with GM Mark Dominik and the Buccaneers coaching staff regarding the NFL Draft and college free agency.

In his first year with assisting with the Buccaneers draft, Stokes worked with General Manager Mark Dominik and managed to have to have a productive draft, despite trading the team’s first round pick to the New York Jets in exchange for CB Darrelle Revis. With their second-round pick, the team selected CB Johnthan Banks, the 2012 Thorpe Award winner, given annually to the top defensive back in college football. The team added QB Mike Glennon in the third round and bolstered its defensive line with a pair of fourth round selections – DT Akeem Spence and DE William Gholston.

Stokes came to Tampa Bay after 14 seasons of playing and scouting experience in the NFL. Most recently, Stokes worked as the Seahawks' assistant director of college scouting (2010-11), during which time he was instrumental in bringing in the likes of defensive standouts S Earl Thomas (first-round, 2010), S Kam Chancellor (fifth-round, 2010), LB K.J. Wright (fourth-round, 2011) and CB Richard Sherman (fifth-round, 2011).

Prior to that, Stokes spent seven seasons with Seattle as an area scout (2000-01, 2005-09) and three seasons as an assistant in the pro personnel department (2002-04). While serving in the pro personnel department, he was responsible for the weekly advance of upcoming opponents, as well as assisting in the evaluation and writing of player reports on potential talent in free agency, NFL Europe, the Canadian Football League and the Arena Football League.

Stokes also played two seasons as a safety for the Seahawks after being selected in the fifth round (121st overall) of the 1997 NFL Draft. He was selected by the Cleveland Browns in the 1999 expansion draft before an injury cut his career short. Stokes graduated from the University of Nebraska with a degree in sociology. He and his wife, Tisa, have three daughters, Erisa, Payton and Madison.
http://www.buccaneers.com/team/staff/Eric-Stokes/2d9a6af8-2d43-4778-bcd3-5e64e0b04a98

Before everyone starts saying we're bringing in scouts from a bad organization...or something along those lines...Stokes spent most of his time in Seattle's front office and was only with the Bucs for the last 3 drafts.

Round 1, Pick 7 (7) Mike Evans WR 6'5" 231 Texas A&M 6.4
Pick Analysis: "He's what today's wide receiver is all about, with the advent of back-shoulder fade, and with big wide receivers playing outside the numbers and in the red zone. The buzz word is catching radius. When paired with Vincent Jackson it's going to be like basketball on grass." -- Mike Mayock

Round 2, Pick 6 (38) Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE 6'5" 262 Washington 5.4
Pick Analysis: "He has big hands. He's a big target, and can run all the routes you want. Seferian-Jenkins is also a terror in the red zone." -- Charles Davis

Round 3, Pick 5 (69) Charles Sims RB 6'0" 214 West Virginia 5.3
Pick Analysis: "He's as good a receiver out of the backfield as any running back in this draft." -- Mike Mayock

Round 5, Pick 3 (143) Kadeem Edwards OG 6'4" 313 Tennessee St. 5.2

Round 5, Pick 9 (149) (From Bills) Kevin Pamphile OT 6'5" 310 Purdue 5.0
Pick Analysis: At Purdue's pro day, Pamphile ran the 40-yard dash in 4.94 and 4.97 seconds (a time that would have placed him among the top performers in his position group at the NFL Scouting Combine). He also had a 32-inch vertical jump and 9-0 broad jump. He ran a 4.81-second short shuttle and a 7.61-second three-cone. He did 25 reps on the bench press.

Round 6, Pick 9 (185) (From Bills) Robert Herron WR 5'9" 193 Wyoming 5.1

Yea and everyone was speculating the same thing when Ireland was on the hotseat. So, I see your point. I just don't see it panning out that way. And honestly, even if we miss the playoffs, I think Ross likes Philbin enough to give the GM & Coach a few years together...especially when it's well known that Ireland and Philbin wanted different players. You guys always seem to want too many changes, IMO. Keep making GM & Coach changes every year and w're going to keep getting the same results.

One time I used to feel that Hickey and Philbin had this coming season, maybe 2 seasons to get things fixed. Now I think maybe at least 2 or 3 seasons. Philbin despite what we think about his coaching abilities, didn't have a chance while working with Ireland. Those last two seasons are probably a wash with Ross because of that. In order to give Philbin and Hickey the proper chance they will need 2 to 3 seasons together to prove they can right the ship. Also most of our potential success rides on RT. So, if in 2 or 3 seasons our quarterback isn't doing well and our coaches aren't coaching and our GM isn't getting them the talent then Ross will clean house. But the opposite could happen and we could become a consistent playoff team. Ross to be fair needs to give everyone plenty of time to get things right. If they don't we will need at that time a new GM who can hire his coach who can draft their quarterback.

One time I used to feel that Hickey and Philbin had this coming season, maybe 2 seasons to get things fixed. Now I think maybe at least 2 or 3 seasons. Philbin despite what we think about his coaching abilities, didn't have a chance while working with Ireland. Those last two seasons are probably a wash with Ross because of that. In order to give Philbin and Hickey the proper chance they will need 2 to 3 seasons together to prove they can right the ship. Also most of our potential success rides on RT. So, if in 2 or 3 seasons our quarterback isn't doing well and our coaches aren't coaching and our GM isn't getting them the talent then Ross will clean house. But the opposite could happen and we could become a consistent playoff team. Ross to be fair needs to give everyone plenty of time to get things right. If they don't we will need at that time a new GM who can hire his coach who can draft their quarterback.

i agree completely!

I expected Dominik to get this position. I believe Hickey is going to start to put together his staff now that the draft is over.

dominik turned it down

Yeah I don't think anybody is going anywhere as long as we're at least in the hunt for the playoffs. Tough schedule though with the potential to start 1-5 or 0-6 and if that happens the seat will be nuclear hot for everybody.

i hope many of your opinions are right because I just do not see it that way. After loosing those last 2 games last year and how we lost them convinced me Philbin is not the long term answer here and this will probably be his last year. I do not see a much stronger team this year either unless RT takes another step. Top that off that Hickey was bascially our only option as a GM and I predict a bleak future. It was very hard to get interested in this years draft for just the reason many of you have brought up. If Philbin and Hickey cannot make strides this year then the next step is to blow up the whole thing. Which means if the players we drafted this year for our current system do not meet the standard or needs of the next coach/gm it becomes a wasted draft. Ireland is a convienent scapegoat and he may deserve some of it but Ireland never hired Sporano and wanted someone other than Philbin so in reality he never got a chance to hire the cook. I understood Irelands logic also he wanted a coach who would use the players he had already aquired I believe his name was McCoy who is with San Diego and not coachPhilbin who wanted wanted players for another system. When I see how well Dansby and some others played last year after leaving the phins then I am even more convinced we do not have the right coach yet.

Back
Top Bottom