Stokes to Become Asst GM | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stokes to Become Asst GM

i hope many of your opinions are right because I just do not see it that way. After loosing those last 2 games last year and how we lost them convinced me Philbin is not the long term answer here and this will probably be his last year. I do not see a much stronger team this year either unless RT takes another step. Top that off that Hickey was bascially our only option as a GM and I predict a bleak future. It was very hard to get interested in this years draft for just the reason many of you have brought up. If Philbin and Hickey cannot make strides this year then the next step is to blow up the whole thing. Which means if the players we drafted this year for our current system do not meet the standard or needs of the next coach/gm it becomes a wasted draft. Ireland is a convienent scapegoat and he may deserve some of it but Ireland never hired Sporano and wanted someone other than Philbin so in reality he never got a chance to hire the cook. I understood Irelands logic also he wanted a coach who would use the players he had already aquired I believe his name was McCoy who is with San Diego and not coachPhilbin who wanted wanted players for another system. When I see how well Dansby and some others played last year after leaving the phins then I am even more convinced we do not have the right coach yet.

cant blame you really. Lot of criticism on philbin who hasnt shown he can develop players yet or even manage game situations properly. Havent given up on him yet, myself. but that's purely trying to be optimistic that he can learn from previous mistakes.

Ross included Philbin in the GM search to make sure they could work together. Don't forget, Ross hired Philbin when Ireland wanted McCoy. I won't get into that conversation again, but my point is....maybe Ross is learning...? My guess is that if Ross dumps Philbin, he would go after a big name, and if said big name said I don't want Hickey....I think Ross would let that happen. Assuming the big name is a Harbaugh or a certain big chin.

That said, I don't think Ross dumps Philbin unless we're sub .500 this year. Harbaugh's contract is up after 2015....I'd bet he would keep Philbin around for one more year to keep the seat warm. (He would never say thats what he's doing, but I'm guessing he would)

Yea and everyone was speculating the same thing when Ireland was on the hotseat. So, I see your point. I just don't see it panning out that way. And honestly, even if we miss the playoffs, I think Ross likes Philbin enough to give the GM & Coach a few years together...especially when it's well known that Ireland and Philbin wanted different players. You guys always seem to want too many changes, IMO. Keep making GM & Coach changes every year and w're going to keep getting the same results.

Ross included Philbin in the GM search to make sure they could work together. Don't forget, Ross hired Philbin when Ireland wanted McCoy. I won't get into that conversation again, but my point is....maybe Ross is learning...? My guess is that if Ross dumps Philbin, he would go after a big name, and if said big name said I don't want Hickey....I think Ross would let that happen. Assuming the big name is a Harbaugh or a certain big chin.

That said, I don't think Ross dumps Philbin unless we're sub .500 this year. Harbaugh's contract is up after 2015....I'd bet he would keep Philbin around for one more year to keep the seat warm. (He would never say thats what he's doing, but I'm guessing he would)

I could see that.

My hangup is why did all the GMs canadiates turn us down last year. That just smells bad. Those GM's certainly do not see this oganization in a positive light and they should know more than us fans whats going on.

I do not see a much stronger team this year either unless RT takes another step. .

The thing is we didn't see any of the fruits from all the additions we made last year and the team was good. We got nothing from the draft, very little from the receivers added, especially Keller, and nothing from the big upgrade at LB, and the team was good. We had a ridiculously horrible o-line, like comically bad, like you probably couldn't design a worse o-line if you tried bad yet the team was still good. Tannehill was still going through growing pains yet the team was still good.

How can I possible say the team was good you are probably thinking? Because remember week 16, when we were looking ahead to the playoff teams and wondering how many of those teams scared us? The Broncos and maybe the Patriots at Foxboro. Remember having those discussions? We had already beaten four of the six the teams in the playoffs and KC wasn't exactly scaring anybody here. If we had just taken Lane Johnson or traded for Albert there isn't a doubt in my mind we had a playoff team.

Now this year we should see some of the fruits of all those acquisitions made that were supposed to be a big help last year. Tannehill -> Wallace should be better. We should get solid contributions from at least a few players from the 2013 draft class, there is no way that entire class was a total bust. The linebackers will hopefully be better. We now have the elite LT that would have made all the difference last year plus Dion Jordan, instead of either/or. On top of that we'll likely have solid contributions from at least two of our 2014 draft picks. And we have decent depth.

Hopefully Lazor will be a lot better. Philbin and Tannehill are a year more experienced. Hickey is not a total prick, maybe the players will respond to not having to work for an ass. And the overall leadership should be much better.

IMO the difference between the 2013 team and the 2014 team should be night and day and I think the team was already almost good in 2013.

My hangup is why did all the GMs canadiates turn us down last year. That just smells bad. Those GM's certainly do not see this oganization in a positive light and they should know more than us fans whats going on.

Because they all wanted the ability to fire/hire their own head coach. Ross was unwilling to give into that demand.

The thing is we didn't see any of the fruits from all the additions we made last year and the team was good. We got nothing from the draft, very little from the receivers added, especially Keller, and nothing from the big upgrade at LB, and the team was good. We had a ridiculously horrible o-line, like comically bad, like you probably couldn't design a worse o-line if you tried bad yet the team was still good. Tannehill was still going through growing pains yet the team was still good.

How can I possible say the team was good you are probably thinking? Because remember week 16, when we were looking ahead to the playoff teams and wondering how many of those teams scared us? The Broncos and maybe the Patriots at Foxboro. Remember having those discussions? We had already beaten four of the six the teams in the playoffs and KC wasn't exactly scaring anybody here. If we had just taken Lane Johnson or traded for Albert there isn't a doubt in my mind we had a playoff team.

Now this year we should see some of the fruits of all those acquisitions made that were supposed to be a big help last year. Tannehill -> Wallace should be better. We should get solid contributions from at least a few players from the 2013 draft class, there is no way that entire class was a total bust. The linebackers will hopefully be better. We now have the elite LT that would have made all the difference last year plus Dion Jordan, instead of either/or. On top of that we'll likely have solid contributions from at least two of our 2014 draft picks. And we have decent depth.

Hopefully Lazor will be a lot better. Philbin and Tannehill are a year more experienced. Hickey is not a total prick, maybe the players will respond to not having to work for an ass. And the overall leadership should be much better.

IMO the difference between the 2013 team and the 2014 team should be night and day and I think the team was already almost good in 2013.

and if i remember correctly most of our losses came down to within a touchdown.

I actually like the direction our team is heading, and baring injuries to key personnel, we are one of those teams that could really surprise. Even though we will have a new OC, there is still a lot to build on from last year. We stumbled in the end when it really mattered, but we also won some big games. Heck, we even split with the Patsies. Not saying I was happy we were forced to draft for need, but considering the circumstances, I am not at all unhappy with the job Hickey did. Was he perfect? No, but I suspect he will be better next year after he has time to think about how he did, and make improvements. The Dolphins are a team on the rise. I can feel it all the way here in Orlando.

EDIT: My post was sort of off topic. Didn't mean to stray, but I am a scatter brain sometimes. I guess I was just trying to say that I trust Stokes appointment because I think we are heading in the right direction. I assume that since Hickey and Philbin have a good working relationship that naturally the same rapport would exist with Stokes, and in my experience that can only be a good thing for them and hopefully for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an important hire for one of the most important figures in the organization. Stokes' resume looks impressive. He was involved in some impressive personnel decisions. Hopefully he learned well even if he was an underling. It's time for Miami to develop to the rising stars in personnel. He is the type of guy you could look upon in a couple of years as being a rising star in league circles. Let's hope he is up to the challenge.

new regimes clean house. been that way since the beginning of the game.

people want "their guys" if for nothing else just to say they have them.

of course the hickey haters want you all to think this is proof that this guy is bad, in fact anyone who worked in the past 18 years in tampa with hickey is bad and sucks and all were responsible for every years horrid drafts they had [which included a plethora of pro bowlers and a few hall of famers but that was just luck and hickey had nothing to do with those pics].

if this guy wasnt any good, why would hickey, a new gm, bring him here?

we had a good draft. we have a better gm. LIVE WITH IT!!!!!

and another thing to live with? HICKEY'S JOB IS NOT ON THE LINE!! HE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE FOR A FEW YEARS, MAYBE LONGER IF THE DRAFTS ARE GOOD AND WE ARE WINNING. but no matter what happens this year, he is not being let go.

why did all the GMs canadiates turn us down last year

PHINTIM: this is the biggest myth of the gm search.

they did not ALL turn us down. ray farmer did because he knew he had his cleveland gig and wanted to have interest perceived. good negotiation tool. he was never coming here no matter what and he wouldnt have had the ass load of high draft pics here waiting on him as he did in clevelands draft this year. he didnt get handed the team that hickey got. his star isnt as shiney as it appears.

the last guy, bill billicheks coffee catcher, was rumored to have "turned it down" but its funny how he didnt go on ANY other interviews. and then at the last moment he decides to interview with us. short visit and gone. what was that about? very odd. he came for something but it wasnt about being our gm. he is back being the same old janitor, filing cabinet, coffee running, boot shining, jack of all nothing he was before he interviewed here.

and remember, THIS WAS AN INTERVIEW PROCESS. the dolphins didnt set up interviews for all to say no. they probably had a few guys who would have done it but the FINZ said no. this business of everyone turning us down is garbage and has NO proof or credibility!!

and this hickey as last resort was just as bad. i think he was the 3rd guy interviewed and first reports the day fater said he "knocked it out of the park"!!

all along, from the beginning, ross said they would be taking there time and doing thorough interviews with several candidates. NO ONE would get handed the job off the bat. i think gamble was the first choice but when gamble decided he was staying in philly and not taking a job ANYWHERE ELSE [and he didnt. he could of had any gm gig he wanted] they began with others they held high. and i believe hickey was top two or 3 all along. but they did as they said they would, FINISH THE PROCESS and cover all bases.

but the haters, who were all mad when THEIR guy didnt get hired [of course from them, their guy turned us down] no one else Would do and sucked. hickey will never get a fair deal from them and no matter what, they will always say he was a panic choice. the last guy in line [even though he was the 3rd interview] and never did anything worth note in the 18 years he spent in tampa.

this is just another of the misconceptions, myths and lies that need to be put to rest.

Don't believe everything that you read. I think that some were not actually offered the position, eg Lake Dawson from Tennessee. He's a polished speaker and thrives on camera. He had press releases out how he declined the position, but very unsure if it was offered. A lot of posturing in the media took place. Some refused second interviews, eg Licht, who had the Tampa offer on the table and accepted it. Also Farmer pulled out as a candidate and ended up getting promoted to the Cleveland GM position a few weeks later. Gamble's Dad died that week and timing was bad for him to consider it. The one guy who I think did refuse the job was the New England guy, Caserio who appears to have given Ross an ultimatum on the terms and structure he would accept after an offer was made. (Well he is Belichick's right hand guy). It sounds like he was insistent on absolute and total control and this was not raised in the first interview - only raised after an offer was made. There was speculation that he would have wanted his buddy Josh McDaniels to take over the coaching as well.
Hickey has a lot more experience in player evaluation than any of them and appears to be working well with Philbin.

We don't know all the details but i think the last two posters are correct. Regardless lets judge him on what he does going forward.
So far so good.

Keep making GM & Coach changes every year and w're going to keep getting the same results.

Continue to keep around incompetent fools like Jeff Ireland and you will continue to go 7-9. Sometimes you have to make a change.

We don't know all the details but i think the last two posters are correct. Regardless lets judge him on what he does going forward.
So far so good.

Also agree with those 2 posters, and also with what you're saying!

Back
Top Bottom