Stop Believing in Nonsense..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stop Believing in Nonsense.....

juicifer1269

Starter
Reaction score
I keep hearing that if the Bengals prefer Justin Herbert to Joe Burrow, that it would be easier for the Dolphins to trade up to pick #1 to draft Burrow. There is a flaw to that thinking.
After the combine, team workouts and all of the interviews that the Bengals conduct, if they have Herbert rated higher that Burrow, there is no way that they don’t take him at 1. It’s not anywhere near out of the realm of possibility that some teams will have Herbert rated higher. Herbert has a stronger arm, is more mobile, is taller, which some NFL teams look for in a QB, and started a majority of all 4 years. Burrow has a much better single season than Herbert but it’s not a stretch to say that Herbert has had a better individual career than Burrow. We saw as recently in 2017 that Sam Darnold was believed by most to be the 1st pick in the draft to Cleveland but they ended up selecting Baker Mayfield. Mayfield’s and Darnold’s stats and starting record are very similar. If you know which player you want, you take them and don’t get cute by trying to trade down and get more pics. Let’s just say that Cincinnati values Herbert over Burrow, the next 3 teams that are likely in the early round QB market are Miami, Las Angeles, and Carolina which pick 5, 6, and 7 respectively. After trading down, the Bengals would still be at risk of one of the others trading up in front of them, likely to pick 3 or 4, and selecting Herbert in front of them. Plus, they run the risk of the team trading up to #1 selecting Herbert. The Bengals best bet would be if Detroit values Chase Young over all others and wants to jump Washington to select him. But even then, the Bengals risk another QB drafting team trading up to #2.
My point is that if a team has a player they rank higher and prefer, you draft them when you have the chance and don’t risk trading back even two spots and losing said player.
Assuming the Dolphins draft a QB with their earliest pick, I honestly don’t care who it is so long as they are successful. I know who I prefer but really what all of us want as fans is the QB to be successful and win. I don’t care if it’s Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, Tua, Love, Easton, Fromm, etc. If we become Super Bowls champs, it could be Josh Rosen for all I care. Once the games are being played and if the Dolphins are winning, nobody should care who the QB is.

The way the board is set sort of reminds me of 2004. Team at 1 and 4 both in the market for QB's. Sort of similar to 1 & 5 this year.

1 SD
2 Oak
3 AZ
4 NYG

The way that year worked out was pretty crazy with a lot of guessing and hoping. This article talks about that day. Not sure we will ever see a trade like this again but what if?

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/eli-manning-philip-rivers-trade-giants-chargers

I could almost guarantee you that there are teams that have Herbert ranked higher just because of size, 4 years as a starter and upside.

All I know is that die hard Skins fans will not trade the #2, and they're ridiculously animate about it. Chase Young or bust.

They have faith Haskins will continue to improve, and that's good enough for them.

If Herbert goes #1, well, then I just don't know what I'm doing with my life...

no chance, man. i've read here that tua is the second coming and herbert is a reach in the top 10. not gonna happen.
QBs get drafted early every year why would it be any different this year?

I would not start one college QB from this class - all FOs do is ruin them and their shaky confidence

No offense to the OP, but really, I didn’t think that needed to be said

Bengals = Bungles

Anything is possible at #1, including them drafting Tua.

but it's probably going to be Burrow...

Most things on these boards don't NEED to be said, just like your post or my post.

So... :shrug:. Let's both of us let people discuss what they want and leave the forum policing to the mods.

Overreact definition, to react or respond more strongly than is necessary or appropriate.

They may be in a worse position than us, not really because I would love to have the 1 but... the dilemma is that they can trade out for the mother load, maybe record setting if Burrow lights up at the Combine or they can pick him at 1. Tough call for a GM who still has the red rider in the wings and they could probably wait another year with a boat load of picks this and next year. It's a tough call imo

Burrow and Cincinnati just feels like the perfect fit. Local boy, one of the best quarterback seasons ever. Sure, he only put it together for one season. But, man did he put it together! In as sense, even as a four year starter, there are still questions about Herbert.

Burrow and Cincinnati just feels like the perfect fit. Local boy, one of the best quarterback seasons ever. Sure, he only put it together for one season. But, man did he put it together! In as sense, even as a four year starter, there are still questions about Herbert.

I agree, every QB has questions. Hardest position in sports to scout and project, no such thing as a slam dunk. But the fit can be a slam dunk and this fit like you mentioned is a total slam dunk. Ohio kid who went to Ohio State rode the pine played it out then went on to have the greatest season ever now can come "back home" and play for a down and out franchise. Hard for a numbskull like Brown to screw this up.

Back
Top Bottom