Streaks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Streaks

And Aaron Rodgers wouldn’t have missed the postseason this year.

Some people just like to bitch and complain w/o having the first damned clue what they’re talking about. It’s par for the course around here.

Also, the 49ers lost several QB‘s during the season yet are in the conference championship.

Maybe having a much better, more consistent defense is the answer. Because it surely hasn’t mattered who is under center for them.
Exactly, play consistent defense, run the ball and you will always compete.
Trent dilfer, brad Johnson, Doug williams, Jim McMahon, Jeff jostetler, mark rypien all won because of defense and run game.
Marino never had either

Exactly, play consistent defense, run the ball and you will always compete.
Trent dilfer, brad Johnson, Doug williams, Jim McMahon, Jeff jostetler, mark rypien all won because of defense and run game.
Marino never had either
It’s amazing to me that this fan base and particularly this board which saw Marino play for 17 years and saw him miss the playoffs 41% of his career and saw him fail to win a superbowl is still under the assumption that 1 guy is responsible for all the winning and all the losing.

It’s amazing to me that this fan base and particularly this board which saw Marino play for 17 years and saw him miss the playoffs 41% of his career and saw him fail to win a superbowl is still under the assumption that 1 guy is responsible for all the winning and all the losing.

Many people have fallen for the media narrative that the QB is the apex position in all sports.

I'm still hoping and praying for Tua. I know if we can just keep him upright we are in the Super Bowl 🐻

Agreed.

When your defense gives up more PPG then your offense scores.

AND

You were a top 7 offense.

That's when you should realize it's not all on 1 player

I think it's as simple as not having a QB who can stay on the field.

Actually it's having a good enough O-line to give our starting QBs a chance to stay on the field.

Did you not find it weird that the end of the Bengals 1st quarter, Tua gets hurt, Teddy takes over until he gets hurt in the beginning of the next vs Jets, followed by losing Skyler starting but not finishing against the Viking?

We get better protection, injuries to the QB position will stop (At least in Tua's case), and beating Miami with Tua becomes far tougher then anyone expects.

Last edited:
We are all thinking about who to draft, who to sign as a FA, etc.
But how do we avoid streaks?
Win 3, lose 3, win 5, lose 5, win 1 lose 1.
Is that as simple as the schedule having us play softer teams then harder teams?
Coaching?
Player leaders?
IMO it was mostly coaching. I thought McD stuck with his over-aggressive tendencies and became predictable. His scheme is a good one and has answers when defenses take certain things away, but he (and Tua) didn't use those alternatives enough. In contrast I thought Burrow and Zach Taylor did a great job of relying on the run game and check downs when Buffalo used their athletic LBs to take away the deeper routes. That's encouraging b/c two seasons ago I felt Taylor was a joke as a HC. He was much better the next season during their SB run, but still had many time management issues (similar to McD in year 1). So the improvement in the game plan was encouraging. Burrow also was so much more patient. He has always had fast processing, but even last year tended to wait too long for his big WRs to break open and took too many hits. But in the third year of the same system you saw him get rid of the ball quicker. Actually it really wasn't until the end of the third season. He started of the year still holding the ball too long, but during this last third of the season he's been phenomenal.

On defense, I felt Boyer failed to adapt to all the injuries he had. I don't think he's a bad DC, but he does have some limitations. We simply didn't have players capable of running his preferred scheme with all those key injuries, but he tended to fall back to those tendencies in critical situations, like third and long. You can get away with more high risk plays when you have better players, but when you're relying on 5th and 6th CBs you have to protect them more.

Our personnel switched to having more DL pressure players than man coverage guys. IMO Boyer should have adjusted to more zones to take away the quick pass and let our safeties play deeper to protect the boundary corners. Our DL was getting pressure and hurries, but most QBs just got the ball out quicker with easy reads. Flooding the quick zones would have helped more of those hurries become sacks.

While I don't believe our talent was as good as Cincy or KC, I do believe that our talent was at that 10-11 win level. I think that's where we should have ended up if the coaching had been a little better. Now I do have a ton of faith in McD. People focus on the time management issues, but that's actually very common in young coaches. Heck I even see it in veteran coaches. It's also something that's learned with experience. Anybody who wants to can him for those mistakes in year 1 is an idiot. More importantly, I saw the best offense we've had since the early Marino years. McD and his schemes was a big part of that. That's something special that should be developed. On defense, I don't believe Boyer is terrible as a DC, but I also don't think he's a guy you could go forward with given the talent allocations on the roster. IMO a switch to a DC who uses more cover 6, cover 8 zone based schemes should be the direction.

And some people will defend Tua until their last breath. It's par for the course around here.

Your opinions on Tua have been streakier than the Dolphins results over the last two seasons.

You hated him last summer because of the spiral on a training camp TD he threw on a social media montage. After the Baltimore game you were ready to anoint him the undisputed best QB of all time. Now you’re back on the bad train again because he got concussed this year.

Some people need to stop being so emotionally reactive. He isn’t the best. He’s far from the worst. I can’t wait to watch him next season.

Back to the OP. The same thing has occurred to me. I think it’s a coincidence but both the last two years have been wildly streaky.

Your opinions on Tua have been streakier than the Dolphins results over the last two seasons.

You hated him last summer because of the spiral on a training camp TD he threw on a social media montage. After the Baltimore game you were ready to anoint him the undisputed best QB of all time. Now you’re back on the bad train again because he got concussed this year.

Some people need to stop being so emotionally reactive. He isn’t the best. He’s far from the worst. I can’t wait to watch him next season.

Back to the OP. The same thing has occurred to me. I think it’s a coincidence but both the last two years have been wildly streaky.
Never said Tua was bad. I said Tua can't stay healthy. There is a very big difference. Tua proved hes efficient and can win in the league.... he also proves time and time again he can't stay healthy.

Never said Tua was bad. I said Tua can't stay healthy. There is a very big difference. Tua proved hes efficient and can win in the league.... he also proves time and time again he can't stay healthy.
Yes. Unfortunately.
And hurt enough that some even wonder if he should keep playing.

We are all thinking about who to draft, who to sign as a FA, etc.
But how do we avoid streaks?
Win 3, lose 3, win 5, lose 5, win 1 lose 1.
Is that as simple as the schedule having us play softer teams then harder teams?
Coaching?
Player leaders?

Not all streaks are bad, take "winning streaks" as an example.

If we can avoid losing streaks, then that would be a good thing, especially if those "singleton" losses were separated by winning streaks!

Do the math for the worst-case record using the above as a methodology. - LOL

Back
Top Bottom