Suitors for Ogunleye according to "Huddle Report" positional needs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Suitors for Ogunleye according to "Huddle Report" positional needs

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
We can't afford to let O-Gun get away now. He's just starting to reach his peak!!!. That would be a big mistake IMO. Who would possibly replace him?? It would have to be a pretty expensive replacement if we want to remain a solid pass rushing defense...

He's the best DLman we have. Yes, IMO better than JT.:eek:

He's younger, and he's stronger than JT. He pushes the pocket backwards with his size and strength. JT, with his lack of strength, always has to run around the pocket in order to get pressure. All JT has is speed, and not much more than that IMO. He gets man handled when matched-up with the bigger OT's.

You guys can talk that "Double Teamed" smoke all you want. I saw JT getting handled by some unknown OT's this year. Guys who were starting for their very first time against him, and still held him without a sack. JT was not doubled nearly as much as some of you say he was IMO. He just didn't play as well as he did in 2002....

I like JT, and he's good at what he does, speed rushing. I like O-Gun more though. O-Gun is more of a tranditional DE, and he'll get even better with more experince. They are a great duo together, you've got speed on one side, and strength on the other. Breaking them up would not be a smart decision....

DRAFT OL!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!!:fire:

Draft OL? With what? Our ONE first rounder and our ONE third rounder? Do you really expect to seriously upgrade our offensive line with those two picks? Who is our quarterback after that? Who is our #2 receiver? Do you really think O-linemen that we draft will be able to step in right away?

I think some of you are thinking with your hearts more than your heads. I WANT Wale back! I want to see that tandem together again. They are DOMINANT! But here's the plain and simple truth, we put that defense on the field last year, and we didn't even make the playoffs. It doesn't matter if you hold your opponents to only 12 points a game. If your offense cannot get it done, you are going to lose (this is especially true in the playoffs). I know some of you think an upgrade on the offensive line would allow Ricky to rush better and make our offense more effective, but teams are STILL going to stack the boss against us with no passing attack to fear.

Spending money on Wale at this point is a waste. Our secondary gets us sacks just as much as our defensive line in the end. Wale is a great player. But this is not the time to be spending on defense. This offseason is about moving money FROM defense to offense. It's unfortunate timing, but Ogunleye seems like the best way to do this. Any money believed to be used to re-sign Wale should be used on the offensive side of the ball. Throw in two picks from the team that signs him, and we have a GREAT opportunity to overhaul our offense (both temporarily and permanently). I'm sorry, but you don't pass that up just to have another pro-bowler on defense.

Originally posted by Frayser

Do you really think O-linemen that we draft will be able to step in right away?

Umm generally first and second round offensive linemen do start from day one.

Basically it's giving along term deal to Chambers or Ogunleye. I would think Chambers is the more important one. Besides letting Ogunleye go gives us room to sign a Chad Clifton and gives us a first rounder to use on OL. With that pick you can trade down for a 2,3,5,.

1-WR
2-OL
3-QB
3-DE
4-CB/S
5-MLB
6-DT
7-C

Note that I am not saying the third round DE will start. David Bowens can start for us opposite J.T., so can J.Williams, but because Bowens is the better pass rusher I see it as Bowens.

Besides it basically means two starting offensive lineman.

Originally posted by Graythreat

And Chambers will be a RFA after next season. There's something called keeping players happy. He is our true #1 receiver, the best on our team, yet he makes almost half of what Thomson makes, and less than a third of what McKnight makes. You have to treat your stars right, he's our star and his contract is due up. We have to resign him, to do otherwise would be rediculous.

IMO, it would be extremely smart to re-sign Chambers this year. He is NOT a RFA next year, he would have played FOUR years, making him unrestricted. I'd expect a lot more than 64 catches and 963 yards next year, which will shoot up his value.

Remember when Cincy extended Chad Johnson's contract in mid-season? Yeah, well that was smart.

We can't afford to let O-Gun get away now. He's just starting to reach his peak!!!. That would be a big mistake IMO. Who would possibly replace him?? It would have to be a pretty expensive replacement if we want to remain a solid pass rushing defense...

He's younger, and he's stronger than JT. He pushes the pocket backwards with his size and strength. JT, with his lack of strength, always has to run around the pocket in order to get pressure. All JT has is speed, and not much more than that IMO. He gets man handled when matched-up with the bigger OT's.

You guys can talk that "Double Teamed" smoke all you want. I saw JT getting handled by some unknown OT's this year. Guys who were starting for their very first time against him, and still held him without a sack. JT was not doubled nearly as much as some of you say he was IMO. He just didn't play as well as he did in 2002....

I like JT, and he's good at what he does, speed rushing. I like O-Gun more though. O-Gun is more of a tranditional DE, and he'll get even better with more experince. They are a great duo together, you've got speed on one side, and strength on the other. Breaking them up would not be a smart decision....

DRAFT OL!!!!

Ok, so in your opinion, let's Draft an OL and have no QB for him to proctect.

THEN we have to resign O-gun to a huge contract that he will demand putting our team further over the cap.

And since he's the best DE, we should cut our over paid DE that's not as good and take a near 8 million dollar cap hit?

Dude, that would be team suicide. We do NOT HAVE THE MONEY FOR O-GUN. End of story, take what we can get and hope it doesn't come back to haunt us.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Umm generally first and second round offensive linemen do start from day one.

Generally, they start. That says nothing about how effective they will be. We could also be in a similar situation to last year where the quality guys are off the board before our late picks anyway. Plus, we don't have a second rounder.

DRAFT OL!!!!

Good to see you see the same thing I see. Btw, good to see a Maiden fan here. Dance of Death is great.

up the irons!!

Originally posted by Danny

Good to see you see the same thing I see. Btw, good to see a Maiden fan here. Dance of Death is great.

up the irons!!

I just have to ask, where is the sense in drafting an OL? I mean honestly?

Do we need an OL? Yes, do we have young starters who will get better? Yes. Do we stil need to add player to the OL? Of course we do.

Now for a big dose of common sense. It takes 2-3 years to groom a QB in. We have waited too long to draft a QB high! We need one now to have a franchise Qb in 2-3 years. In the MEANTIME we can patch up the OL. It make sesne, OL can start from day 1, a QB can't. That means we have to continue to develope our players that we have, while getting a QB. In the meantime we can patch up the line with high Drafft picks NEXT year. It WOULD set us back to pass up a QB in round 1, while it won't set us back to wait until nextyear to draft OL, in the meantime Smith will continue to develope, and we can patch up the line in the FA.

Why draft a line when they have no one to protect?

I am in the small camp of drafting receiver, because with Fitz. entry into the draft and Kellen Winslow there there is a big chance Reggie Williams may slip to pick 20 and at that point it would be stupid to not draft him.

Originally posted by Jaj
I am in the small camp of drafting receiver, because with Fitz. entry into the draft and Kellen Winslow there there is a big chance Reggie Williams may slip to pick 20 and at that point it would be stupid to not draft him.

No doubt. That would be an obvious pick for us imo.

I agree. We've gone too long without drafting a QB. Now we're in a situation where we need a QB, and we don't have a guy in the waiting ready to step in. Its time to either make a big trade for a guy like Bulger or Brooks, or finally draft a QB as HIGH AS WE CAN. You don't go into this sort of thing half-@ssed. This is the future of your franchise you're talking about. If there's questions about Rivers and Losman, as there are, you do your damnedest to see if its possible to get Manning or Roethlisberger.

You go into somethin like this half-@ssed and you're asking to get McNowned cuz you're reaching for a need instead of noticing a talent and targeting him, going after him.

Originally posted by Jaj

Fitzgerald's entry is very nice. If we get an extra 1st for Ogunleye, we could trade down and still count on a lot of depth at WR later in the round . . . or even in the second or third rounds. Personally, I put WR at less of a priority. We need a solid #2 guy. Chambers and McMichael can put up big numbers, but we need a QB and a line to give them the chance. I don't think we need another star receiver. QB and O-line are more important right now.

Why not offer the Raiders.

OGUN, #20 Pick, Jay Fielder & Next Years 4th that could turn into a 1st.

It gives The Radiers.
Jay a QB that shows at times he has the tools.
OGUN a stud DE.
#20 Pick...(Rivers, WR, OL, CB,)
Next Years Pick....Chances are at best a 2nd.

Miami gets:
Larry or Eli

Back
Top Bottom