Suitors for Ogunleye according to "Huddle Report" positional needs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Suitors for Ogunleye according to "Huddle Report" positional needs

No i dont want him on any team we have to play. Regardless of wether Taylor was double teamed Ogun was awesome this year and should continue to get better. Next year they wont be able to just double team JT because you have to worry about Ogun and his 15 sacks. Who would you double team? Its a case of pick your poison your either gonna let Ogun sack you or Taylor is gonna sack you its your choice. Besides that with no pressure coming from the DT position we desperately need two great ends to ensure we get to the quarterback.

Originally posted by Dbergan
Danny has a really good point. Who would we replace O-Gun with? Remember the years w/ Marino and no matter how many points he scored we still lost becuase of defense. Lets not sell the farm on Defense just for a few more points and the same (or worse) record.

DB

well, keep an eye on a kid named David Griggs. and if they could restructure David Bowens contract, Bowens can still play, just got injured. But that is more reason to suspect that Ogun goes nowhere. But if a team like Jax wants ogun for a 1st and a 3rd. i think we are going to let them have him. that would bring Big Ben.

Originally posted by Graythreat
Outplayed JT? JT had more sacks AND was double teamed all season. I like OG, I really do, he's a great DE, but we CAN NOT PAY FOR ANOTHER TOP TIER DEFENSIVE PLAYER ON THIS TEAM.

What do people not understand about this?

THIS off season he's an RFA. We're allready 11+ million over the cap. And we STILL have to resign Chambers. WHERE WILL THE MONEY FOR WALLY COME FROM? We can tag him and hope no one takes him right!

WRONG. We CAN do that, but then next year he's an UFA. What good would that do?! He's leave and we'd get NOTHING. We might as well take the picks for Wally and wish him the best. Great player, too bad we can't afford to have him on our team.

We could if Madison, Zach, Surtain, JT, Knight, and Seau restructure their deals and maybe cut Marion. then it would be like breaking even.

Well on the very off chance we got a 1st/3rd (I could see a first but not both) then we could spend that third on a DE and then sign a veteran DE. This team has had a great history of sticking guys opposite J.T. and rolling up the sacks and then having them leave and do nothing. So we sign a veteran guy to replace Ogun and draft someone in the 3rd to replace Rob Burnett. Then pray that Bowens stays healthy this year and can contribute.

David Bowens will never be able to hold up against the run as a starting defensive end.

David Griggs played for Miami a long time ago. If I'm not mistaken, he was killed in a car wreck around 8-10 years ago.

We do have a young guy named Otis Grigsby on the team though.

The only player that could start at Ogun's DE spot is Jay Williams, and there would simply be a big dropoff in production if that happened.

All of you that are claiming Ogun's success is due to JT, go watch the games again! Ogun saw his share of double teams as well, and if JT is so great at making the opposite defensive end better, then what was Kenny Mixon's problem and why did he never have double digit sack totals?

Dont buy it. trace armstrong had similar stats to Ogun in 2000 and what did he do after?
I think the JTY effect is at work again. I dont think Ogun will drop off as abdly but in my mind it is no doubt JT plays a huge role in the production of the other DE.
Take the 1st and 3rd and run.

Agreed. I think O-gun is better than the other guys we have stuck opposite JT, I just don't think he is as good as we have seen him over the past couple of years. He can often times, disappear from a game which is concerning. I like him, I just figure if we can get heavily compensated for him, I would like that better. Especially if it netted us a big time qb or wr.

As far as him going to the Bills. I don't think I would mind. Sure their defense would remain strong but they would sacrifice quite a bit of picks that would go towards helping their offense. I doubt the Bills really want to do that.

Originally posted by Dbergan
Danny has a really good point. Who would we replace O-Gun with? Remember the years w/ Marino and no matter how many points he scored we still lost becuase of defense. Lets not sell the farm on Defense just for a few more points and the same (or worse) record.

DB

Not that I want to see Ogun go anywhere but isn't D. Bowens still on the team? He was the starter before he got hurt.

Originally posted by KBISBACK

All of you that are claiming Ogun's success is due to JT, go watch the games again! Ogun saw his share of double teams as well, and if JT is so great at making the opposite defensive end better, then what was Kenny Mixon's problem and why did he never have double digit sack totals?

We're not saying his success is due to JT, we're just saying it helped. O-gun is a giffted athlete, but he wasn't under constant double team. JT was and put up comprable numbers. That combined with the fact that it would take an act of god to be able to sing him long term makes it rediculous to even think about signing, especially when our defense is and has been solid for years, yet our offense struggles. We have to make cuts some where to add to our offense, getting 2 picks in the first 3 rounds is a good start at adding punch to our offense.

Well, if you think about giving O-Gun to the Bills-- it actually hurts THEM. They gain a great DE, yes, but they also lose potential future star with their 1st and another good player with their 3rd. Those both go to Miami which will hurt Buffalo in the long run harder.

If I'm not mistaken, Ogunleye led the AFC in sacks last year. He's going to demand (and will deserve) big bucks. At the same time, our offense needs a lot of work. Do you really think Wale is THAT integral a part of our defense that we need to tie up a lot more money on the defensive side of the ball to retain him? The painful fact is . . . our offense goes NOWHERE with one first round pick, none in the second, and even more money tied up on defense. Wale is great. Believe me, I want him on our team. But this is not baseball, and we're not the New York Yankees. Just getting under the cap and freeing up some room for draft picks and free agents (Brunell, please) is going to take some work (restructuring and what not). We cannot afford to sign a huge deal on defense at this point. We are best off taking the picks and adding a few extra playmakers in the draft.

Not to contradict the talent that JT and Ogun have shown throughout the years. But I did noticed and after watching some tape reviews, JT for the most part had sacks and pressures comming from a LB position, as well as stunts, this year.

I guess it was stunts, used because for the most part his speed rush would take him passed the QB. The QBs would have a shallow pocket due to less pressure up the middle. Ogun had at times as much double teaming as JT had in numerous games.

It seemed that both DE played their best when the Finz put pressure up the middle and the QB had a deeper pocket.

Back to the post, I would let Ogun go for another first round pick, but not to any of our rivals, and to replace I would use David Bowens, Burnett, or draft DE in later rounds.

You have to remember that JT is a DE in a LBs body. He weighs what 245-250 lbs? He is not a bull rusher cause of his weight, he uses stunts and speed, I believe sometime in the future he will be a LB for us or any other team.

Just my 2 cents.....

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

Originally posted by Frayser
If I'm not mistaken, Ogunleye led the AFC in sacks last year. He's going to demand (and will deserve) big bucks. At the same time, our offense needs a lot of work. Do you really think Wale is THAT integral a part of our defense that we need to tie up a lot more money on the defensive side of the ball to retain him? The painful fact is . . . our offense goes NOWHERE with one first round pick, none in the second, and even more money tied up on defense. Wale is great. Believe me, I want him on our team. But this is not baseball, and we're not the New York Yankees. Just getting under the cap and freeing up some room for draft picks and free agents (Brunell, please) is going to take some work (restructuring and what not). We cannot afford to sign a huge deal on defense at this point. We are best off taking the picks and adding a few extra playmakers in the draft.

And not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but this is where I think Dan's first impacts will be seen, whether the organization publicizes it or not. He will have a very positive impact on bringing in offensive talent, just because of who he is and his motivation for the team.

I'm sure we'd ALL like Wale back and its like you said...we're not the Yanks with a blank check. A 1st and 3rd pick would be great imo. Whether we use them at their spot or use them to trade for a big-name prospect or whatever....it opens up alot of doors.

We can't afford to let O-Gun get away now. He's just starting to reach his peak!!!. That would be a big mistake IMO. Who would possibly replace him?? It would have to be a pretty expensive replacement if we want to remain a solid pass rushing defense...

He's the best DLman we have. Yes, IMO better than JT.:eek:

He's younger, and he's stronger than JT. He pushes the pocket backwards with his size and strength. JT, with his lack of strength, always has to run around the pocket in order to get pressure. All JT has is speed, and not much more than that IMO. He gets man handled when matched-up with the bigger OT's.

You guys can talk that "Double Teamed" smoke all you want. I saw JT getting handled by some unknown OT's this year. Guys who were starting for their very first time against him, and still held him without a sack. JT was not doubled nearly as much as some of you say he was IMO. He just didn't play as well as he did in 2002....

I like JT, and he's good at what he does, speed rushing. I like O-Gun more though. O-Gun is more of a tranditional DE, and he'll get even better with more experince. They are a great duo together, you've got speed on one side, and strength on the other. Breaking them up would not be a smart decision....

DRAFT OL!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!!:fire:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom