Sun Sentinel Poll results | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sun Sentinel Poll results

if fans knew everything we'd all be head coaches, and general managers..

again griese is only a name... hes not BOB GRIESE! he's a hero and hasn't played a down.

gee.....Fiedler now has closer to 90 votes......wonder how i made that happen in a span of 3 minutes....

can we say someone spent 30 minutes voting Griese's number up some?

Griese is slower then Fiedler and doesn't know the system as well....he does have a stronger arm but he'll be sacked before he has the chance to throw it long.....plus it doesn't matter who is QB with the way the O-line is playing right now......Fiedler/Griese can hand the ball off to Ricky probably as well as one or another....however, considering the O-line only allows so much time I'd rather have Fiedler making a lot quicker decisions or being able to actually move out of the pocket more....

Its the old saying that the backup QB is the most popular player on the team, until he has to play and prove himself.

i'd like to see Sage myself..... :)

he's got the best arm out of the 3, isn't banged up like Griese is (he will never be 100% after hurting his arm and everything else he is prone to do, dogs, cats, etc.)...and he knows the system pretty well....only reason he isn't #2 is because he has never been able to "start" full-time and lacks the 'real' experience although I think he can hold his own if given the chance.....just as long as he doesn't keep rolling over people's legs like against the Saints... :)

Originally posted by HofCityFan
Its the old saying that the backup QB is the most popular player on the team, until he has to play and prove himself.

Old saying?? Com'on and fess up.....you just made that up now didn't ya??

Originally posted by Agua

Heheh... No. If you're that interested, go read a text on scientific sampling.

i saw a domo about that. From what I remember, it had as much to do with odds and numbers as anything. Regardless, "sciectific" or not, 1325 to 22 are pretty powerful numbers either way you want to slice it...........or deny it !!

You caught me DeDolfan I did just make that up, just trying to pass on a little of my wisdom to the uninformed:lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by DeDolfan

i saw a domo about that. From what I remember, it had as much to do with odds and numbers as anything. Regardless, "sciectific" or not, 1325 to 22 are pretty powerful numbers either way you want to slice it...........or deny it !!

Well, as pointed out in a post in this thread, Jay just gained 90 votes in 3 minutes because someone sat there and voted over and over and over. That's just one reason results from interent voting polls can't be relied upon to represent actual opinion. But hey, I have nothing to say that it DOESN'T accurately represent opinion, other than the odds of it doing so are astronomically high.

And whoever starts, I just want the win. If Brian's the man, then great. I couldn't care less. I simply get annoyed at people using knee-jerk reaction as a basis for hollering for a new QB.

Originally posted by HofCityFan
You caught me DeDolfan I did just make that up, just trying to pass on a little of my wisdom to the uninformed:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I get lucky erevy once in awhile!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Originally posted by Agua

Well, as pointed out in a post in this thread, Jay just gained 90 votes in 3 minutes because someone sat there and voted over and over and over. That's just one reason results from interent voting polls can't be relied upon to represent actual opinion. But hey, I have nothing to say that it DOESN'T accurately represent opinion, other than the odds of it doing so are astronomically high.

And whoever starts, I just want the win. If Brian's the man, then great. I couldn't care less. I simply get annoyed at people using knee-jerk reaction as a basis for hollering for a new QB.

It doesn't make alot of difference to me either, i'm still votin' fer Ross !! :lol:
But most times when i vote online, if I try it again, it tells that I already voted. But not that it couldn't happen tho and besides, if someone could do that, i'd be the first to tell them to get a life somewhere!! :D

Originally posted by jbond
gee.....Fiedler now has closer to 90 votes......wonder how i made that happen in a span of 3 minutes....

Griese is slower then Fiedler and doesn't know the system as well....he does have a stronger arm but he'll be sacked before he has the chance to throw it long.....plus it doesn't matter who is QB with the way the O-line is playing right now......Fiedler/Griese can hand the ball off to Ricky probably as well as one or another....however, considering the O-line only allows so much time I'd rather have Fiedler making a lot quicker decisions or being able to actually move out of the pocket more....

bah i say! how in the world do you know if he won't succeed...there is no telling whatsoever until he drops back to pass.......

Originally posted by FinFan84
I just wanted to help ilustrate the point most of the real world knows Greise is better.

With an internet poll to prove your point? ouch.

Originally posted by xiidaen

With an internet poll to prove your point? ouch.

Granted, but what about these other so called scientific polls like Gallup and such? I think that polls can be "made" to say whatever you want. "Random" samplings can be easily fixed, ie if you want to show favorable #s on conservative issues, take your poll outside the GOP convention! :lol: phone polls are another that crack me up. Obviously they have to do them but I have never or ever heard of anyone personally being polled by phone, other than a local thing done during election times. Polls are made to sway the fence sitters anyway. :goof:

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Granted, but what about these other so called scientific polls like Gallup and such? I think that polls can be "made" to say whatever you want. "Random" samplings can be easily fixed, ie if you want to show favorable #s on conservative issues, take your poll outside the GOP convention! :lol:

But, that's a flawed sample and wouldn't be scientific. At least two reasons: (1) "random", within the context of statistical sampling does not mean, standing outside some place and asking whoever you happen to see; (2) even if it were conducted in a scientific sampling, if the context of the response is not placed in terms of "x% of republicans state that they would y", then it's a deceptive poll, and not scientific because of the bias.

[/B][/QUOTE] phone polls are another that crack me up. Obviously they have to do them but I have never or ever heard of anyone personally being polled by phone, other than a local thing done during election times. Polls are made to sway the fence sitters anyway. :goof: [/B][/QUOTE]

As far as "sampling" goes, a survey taken by telephone may be more likely to provide an accurate result than the example you just provided conccerning GOP convention. However, you can't even just say: "I need 1400 people, there are 140,000 listings in the telephone book, so I'll just take ever 100th name, call them and ask them. There are flaws that will skew even that approach to sampling - it's not truly random. To be random, each person in the population that is being studied must have an exactly equal chance of being selected as anyone else. Thus, an internet "poll" is going to get multiple votes from people with an ax to grind, is only going to sample people who feel motivated enough to "vote", has absolutely NO way of determining what the population is that it is sampling (is it Dolphin fans? Any NFL fans? Anyone on the internet? No way of knowing). Scientific surveys with carefully crafted questions can be accurate and with a relatively small number of participants, can provide be extrapolated to the focus population (the group of people that you want to be able to extrapolate to - not everyone in general).

The goal of a true scientific survey is to eliminate bias in the sampling and in the question. If it's trying to push an agenda, then it's not "science", but manipulation.

With the Sun-sentinel question - it asks "Do you think Brian Griese should start Monday night?". Even if the sampling was legitimate, even if there was a definied population, the question itself does not tell you whether the people who vote yes are voting so because they believe Fiedler is too injured to play, because Fiedler could play but his lack of mobility would hurt his game, because they think BG is a better choice for all games, regardless of "Monday night" .... see? There are dozens of flaws in these internet polls, probably many more than that even, but do you see why these things can't even be generalized to represent the opinion of 1700 people who voted? (there's not even any control over someone voting multiple times, so you can't even say that the results reflect what 1700 people think, much less generalize it out to Dolphin fans, NFL fans, k-mart shoppers or whatever undefined population is being sampled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by fairbanksb
When a coach starts running the team based on public opinion we are all doomed. Might as well just disband the league and play Madden football instead.

Just like Bilicheck (sp) did with Brady and Bledsoe??

Back
Top Bottom