SuperBowl officiating was Horrible/Game was fixed/Steelers Stole it... | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SuperBowl officiating was Horrible/Game was fixed/Steelers Stole it...

What was the worst moment broadcast-wise of the game?

• John Madden

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • The viewres missing Bill Cowher's Gatorade moment

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Mike Holmgren's play calling from 8 minutes left til the final gun

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • The postgame analysis of the 3 stooges(Berman,Irvin,Young)

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
flintsilver7 said:
The Steelers played close to their worst game of the season and still won. This should tell you who the better team is.

the better team won that day but the best team was already eliminated. The Colts should have been there but they choked!

flintsilver7 said:
No, it wasn't. He had one foot in bounds. It doesn't matter where you are on the field - you need two feet in bounds to establish possession. Jackson didn't do that. End of story. The pylon would've been fine if he had been in bounds and already established posession of the ball.

Check your rules, son.

I guess they should have told that to Vick, which I might add was almost the same. He scored.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
You are correct...

8. A forward pass is complete when a receiver clearly possesses the pass and touches the ground with both feet inbounds while in possession of the ball. If a receiver would have landed inbounds with both feet but is carried or pushed out of bounds while maintaining possession of the ball, pass is complete at the out-of-bounds spot.

Sidelines and end lines are out of bounds. The goal line is actually in the end zone. A player with the ball in his possession scores a touchdown when the ball is on, above, or over the goal line.

Put those both together and it was NOT a TD.

The plane of the goal line extends "around the world" theoretically. This means that a player in possession of the ball who hits the pylon on the goal line inside his opponent's end zone with any part of his body has scored a touchdown, even though the ball is in his outside hand and is across the sideline. Because the goal line extends beyond the sideline, it is a touchdown, even though the ball is not inside the pylon.

It was a TD but we all know what happened. I just hope that if the fins ever get to the superbowl that (Officiating) will never be an issue. If that were to happen we will all be screaming!!!!!!

LOL

DoLpHiNz34 said:
1-He did quite a few drops but he did catch a TD and a 1st down at the 1yd line that got called back on what I think was the worst call of the game. After that BS call, Hasselbeck trying to make a play the team had aready made tries to thread the needle and instead throws a pick. Hines Ward had a few drops to. Difference was they didn't screw him on the ones that really counted.

2- If you look at that play again, his left is in bounds he makes the catch and touches the pylon with his right foot before stepping out of bounds. Another missed call IMO that wasn't even reviewed. Don't worry about it refs, it's only the SB.

3-Can't argue that one. Jackson pushes off and got called. It was a weak call but it was the right one.

4-Their gameplan was solid going into the game. They beating the crap out of the Steelers D and they were doing it without Alexander and had them on their heels. I attribute the breakdown in the play calling on the BS Burger TD. I was upset at how the game was being called...I can only imagine what kind of distraction this was for Holmgren and his team.

5-Alexander had 20 carries for 95yds on a team that was behind 3 qtrs. WTF did you want them to do? And like I stated earlier, the Seahawks had the superior gameplan at the beginning of the game whether or not they under used Alexander or not what they were doing was working.

6&7-There is no denying that the Steelers made some plays. The Burger on 3 and 28 was a great play that'll we'll see for as long as we watch football. I'm not arguing they didn't make plays. I just wish the refs would have let the game play out the way it should have. It would have been a much better game.

8-They turned one of them into 7 points.

9-I already told what I think happend. Holmgren was furious going into halftime. I think that Burger TD and challenge really affected his decision making...he lost his cool. Again, the refs really had a big part in shaping the outcome of this game. We can go back and forth all day. All I'm saying is the refs F'ed the game up big time. It could have gone either way, and I'm not sure the Steelers don't win it anyway but you can't sit there and tell me the refs didn't wig out.

About #2: There is absoluteluy NO question at all that he was out of bounds on that catch. Noone even questioned it. The announcers, Jackson, Holmgrem, Hasselbeck, the guys upstairs, the Seahawks crew upstairs. It was obvious to me and everyone else - out of bounds. You have to have both feet in bounds. Jackson did not. One foot is good for college, but this is the NFL.

AquaAssasin said:
The plane of the goal line extends "around the world" theoretically. This means that a player in possession of the ball who hits the pylon on the goal line inside his opponent's end zone with any part of his body has scored a touchdown, even though the ball is in his outside hand and is across the sideline. Because the goal line extends beyond the sideline, it is a touchdown, even though the ball is not inside the pylon.

It was a TD but we all know what happened. I just hope that if the fins ever get to the superbowl that (Officiating) will never be an issue. If that were to happen we will all be screaming!!!!!!

LOL

Again, Jackson did not establish possession. You need to have two feet in bounds to establish possession. The pylon is not good for establishing possession, while it IS good for determining if a player was in the endzone or not. Possession rules make no exemption for a pylon, as if that were the case there would be a 3-inch section of the field where you can make a catch with one foot in bounds. You still need to have two feet in bounds. According to the rules, it doens't matter if Jackson kicked the pylon into the stands with his right foot, if he doesn't get that foot in bounds it doesn't matter. Nobody questioned that call, and it seems that everybody questioning it now doesn't understand the rule.

flintsilver7 said:
Vick had possession of the ball while Jackson did not.

well i guess thats up for debate. The NFL has gotten calls wrong before.

my issue is not that pitt won, The fact that they needed to make big plys and did gives them credit.

My issue is only about officiating. It was blantantly bad and eveyone knows it. What makes you think this wont happen again! What if that was Miami playing and the refs called the game against them like that.

Im pretty sure in every finheaven fan would be screaming foul by the third team.

AquaAssasin said:

Exactly, every SuperBowl has some kind of storyline and though the media is trying to make this about Bettis and Cowher and Roethlisberger, the unofficial storyline and how its going to be remembered by the fans is - this is the SuperBowl that was decided by the refs. :shakeno: It was a sad day for the NFL

adamprez2003 said:
Exactly, every SuperBowl has some kind of storyline and though the media is trying to make this about Bettis and Cowher and Roethlisberger, the unofficial storyline and how its going to be remembered by the fans is - this is the SuperBowl that was decided by the refs. :shakeno: It was a sad day for the NFL

Exactly, as much as I hate to say it, its true.

calphin said:
The only way the Refs could have ruined this game,is if your were a Seahawks fan.that being said,the Seahawks just didnt make enough plays to win the game PERIOD. woulda,coulda,shoulda.

Ya hit it on the head :up:

AquaAssasin said:
well i guess thats up for debate. The NFL has gotten calls wrong before.

If it's up for debate then you don't understand the rule. Vick was a ball carrier, not a receiver. Jackson didn't have possession because you cannot establish possession unless you have two feet in bounds.

Back
Top Bottom