Take our money and come to Miami | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Take our money and come to Miami

It’s not an opinion, you don’t win with giving RBs huge paychecks. If you know anything about the NFL and you obviously don’t, you would know the money is spent on your QB, edge rushers, WRs and DBs. RBs and good ones can be found in the second, third, and a lot of times in the fourth rounds. You need a quality running game you just don’t need to overpay for it like you recommend haha
Irrevelent? Dude you need to wake up because that comment I made is exactly correct. And how is not part of the discussion???? Everything here is about winning the SB when talking about personnel
Good God hahahaha
View attachment 89698

You missed my entire point.

The reasoning in the post was invalid. I never said let's pay a HB big money.

You can come to a good conclusion in the wrong way, which makes the opinion not hold weight even if it's correct, because the person stating it doesn't understand why it's right or not.

It’s not an opinion, you don’t win with giving RBs huge paychecks. If you know anything about the NFL and you obviously don’t, you would know the money is spent on your QB, edge rushers, WRs and DBs. RBs and good ones can be found in the second, third, and a lot of times in the fourth rounds. You need a quality running game you just don’t need to overpay for it like you recommend haha
Irrevelent? Dude you need to wake up because that comment I made is exactly correct. And how is not part of the discussion???? Everything here is about winning the SB when talking about personnel
Good God hahahaha

There's no point in trying to make overarching generalizations about anything in the NFL. The Pats realized they sucked at drafting skill position players and ended up winning super bowls with Antowain Smith and Dillon and Blount. For years they would let DBs and linemen go with the confidence that they could draft and develop the newcomers.

Its all about identifying the strengths and weaknesses of the staff and either addressing them or owning up to the failings. With Tua on his rookie deal they have room to maneuver, and if overspending on a running back is the only way they're going to be able take some pressure off of the passing game then they should do it.

There's no point in trying to make overarching generalizations about anything in the NFL. The Pats realized they sucked at drafting skill position players and ended up winning super bowls with Antowain Smith and Dillon and Blount. For years they would let DBs and linemen go with the confidence that they could draft and develop the newcomers.

Its all about identifying the strengths and weaknesses of the staff and either addressing them or owning up to the failings. With Tua on his rookie deal they have room to maneuver, and if overspending on a running back is the only way they're going to be able take some pressure off of the passing game then they should do it.
You’re not winning by overpaying a RB
That much has been proven. That is not a generalization

After being a fan for over 36 years, I'm finally going to Miami. I'm coming down from Tennessee with three friends and curious if we can jump in on a tailgate for the Jets game on the 19th; maybe the18th. We'll gladly bring some "refreshments." We'll also have two days to check out some sights and food if anyone has suggestions.

Talk to me when he brings you a SB
Peterson, Elliot, Barkley, Henry??? How many SBs between them.
RB's don't win SB's ... I get what you're saying but are you also saying that no matter the talent level we should never go after a RB FA?

I would have to disagree with that mindset ... I am a team first guy and if we can upgrade a position we should do it. The draft is where you WANT to find your RB with FA as an option. ... BUT I have seen plenty of "studs" crash and burn after changing teams in FA so getting a FA doesn't mean ignore the position in the draft either ....

Point is Build the team .... ... turn over every rock .... success will follow ....

A guy like Conner would be a good complimentary back IMO ... would love a real threat back there to take some pressure off of Tua.

RB's don't win SB's ... I get what you're saying but are you also saying that no matter the talent level we should never go after a RB FA?

I would have to disagree with that mindset ... I am a team first guy and if we can upgrade a position we should do it. The draft is where you WANT to find your RB with FA as an option. ... BUT I have seen plenty of "studs" crash and burn after changing teams in FA so getting a FA doesn't mean ignore the position in the draft either ....

Point is Build the team .... ... turn over every rock .... success will follow ....

A guy like Conner would be a good complimentary back IMO ... would love a real threat back there to take some pressure off of Tua.
Sure but still not paying a free agent RB
Draft em every three years, a couple of them and run them till they’re legs fall off
Wash rinse and repeat

You’re not winning by overpaying a RB
That much has been proven. That is not a generalization

The Rams overpaid Gurley and made it to the super bowl. Stewart with the Panthers, Freeman with the Falcons, Lynch won it with the Seahawks, Rice with the Ravens. All overpaid if you're looking strictly at the backend of the deal. All were heavily relied on as their team went on the super bowl run, often times while their QB was stinking up the joint.

Its a myth that's mostly based on Brady and the Pats and all their success the last decade without a big time running back. It is true that there are diminishing returns after a certain age which tends to be less than the average nfl star player and a lot of these deals do end up looking bad after the first couple seasons. However its patentably false that a star RB overpaid on his second contract can't lead his team to success.

Sure but still not paying a free agent RB
Draft em every three years, a couple of them and run them till they’re legs fall off
Wash rinse and repeat
Draft them every 3 years
Trade them in their fourth year so there’s an overlap, and get something for them. Houston will always over pay but they will give us some dross in return at some point

The Rams overpaid Gurley and made it to the super bowl. Stewart with the Panthers, Freeman with the Falcons, Lynch won it with the Seahawks, Rice with the Ravens. All overpaid if you're looking strictly at the backend of the deal. All were heavily relied on as their team went on the super bowl run, often times while their QB was stinking up the joint.

Its a myth that's mostly based on Brady and the Pats and all their success the last decade without a big time running back. It is true that there are diminishing returns after a certain age which tends to be less than the average nfl star player and a lot of these deals do end up looking bad after the first couple seasons. However its patentably false that a star RB overpaid on his second contract can't lead his team to success.
Did they win?????

Sometimes you have to overpay or do without ... I look for a game changer at every skill position ... I'd much rather draft a guy and he ends up retiring 8-10 yrs later headed to the HOF than rinse and repeat ... turn over every rock

A threat @ RB gives Tua a lot less pressure. Those of you ok with a sub-par rushing avg will not see many throws downfield without a semblance of a rushing attack. Sure, we can continue the RPO using the short passing game as a run game replacement, but I would much rather use the RPO with the defense playing up to stop the run than sitting back in their zones knowing we run up the middle for 3-4 yds. ... bit of an exaggeration I know but I am a strong believer in a stout run game and know it opens up our pass game.

Seeing what Tua has been able to do without a real run game makes me wonder what he would accomplish with one.

How is Harris helping take pressure off of Ben with that terrible line in Pittsburgh? They give him 20+ totes a game and he’s averaging what 3.6 ypa? Throwing money out the window at a Rb isn’t going to take pressure of Tua when the Dolphin line stinks.

How many SBs have Peterson, Henry, Barkley and Elliot won???
I mean, I see your point but you can't disagree that a RB of that caliber IF paired with a good defense and adequate passing game you'd sure get closer with than without. The problem is when a team realizes they hit on a RB that good they often stop being inventive in the other areas.

Conner is fun to watch at the goal line. And he does some good things in the passing game.

But let’s not forget that with a dynamic passing game around him, he’s averaging 3.7 yards a carry.

We can find that in the draft

Conner is definitely a guy I'd consider bringing in. That doesn't mean break the bank or any of the other stupid assumptions thrown about. There will always be a cost/benefit analysis. But the reality is that we have an offense that uses the RPO 20% of the time and should arguably use it more than that. We have a QB that may be the best RPO passer in the game. We have a #1 WR that excels at getting quick separation. What we don't have is a running back that threatens the defense. That is a key component of the offense we want to run. You can spout all of the canned, trite nonsense about RBs, but reality is that if we'd taken say Jonathan Taylor instead of Igbo in the draft a couple of years ago we'd probably be a much better team. Anybody who has watched the Cardinals this season knows that Conner is a huge part of why they came into last night's game with the best record in the league. And we'd also most likely be a much better team if we'd signed Conner as a FA this off-season.

People get so caught up in position value that they miss the point of player acquisition. It's about getting good players. Obviously you have to fit those players in your salary structure, but at the end of the day it's still about fielding a complete team. You can say, find it in the draft, but you better have a back-up plan. The last two drafts we did a poor of filling that need in the draft or having a good back-up plan.

James Conner is not the guy. He's injured prone. Does anyone not remember his Steeler days? He's a good fit in Arizona but there are better RBs. We just need to address RB in the draft with a somewhat early pick. We've passed on too many good RBs.

Effective young running backs grow on trees, but you need to actually pick them. I would take a 2nd or 3rd round rookie RB over any free agent vet, and I’d take a 4th or 5th round rookie RB over most free agent vets.

I would not take a 7th round running back (Gaskin, Doaks) or an undrafted running back (Lindsay, Brown, Ahmed, Laird) over most free agent vets.

This off-season we need to draft at least one RB in the top four rounds and if we don’t draft two, we need to sign a decent veteran, too. Enough of these completely untalented scatbacks. What other team has a position group of 6 players, none of whom were drafted before the 7th round?

Back
Top Bottom