Tampa writer says Hickey hire will produce a 10-12 year downward spiral for Miami | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tampa writer says Hickey hire will produce a 10-12 year downward spiral for Miami

Not really. No GM or coachg can set a team back for 10-12 years. Bad hiring afterwards will do it: Muller, Spielman, Ireland and Saban, Cameron, Sparano... That will do any franchise in. If the coach is halfway decent and the GM has a little clue you can turn a franchise around within a couple years.

Chicago? Dick Jauron? Please. Ask the Bills about that guy.

As much as I was not fond of Wannstedt but to set a franchise back a decade you need a string of bad GMing and coaching.

I know you hate Wannstedt with a passion but the cap was screwed up from Shula's last year. It followed JJ through his years and into the Wannstedt era. Wannstedt was simply bad at picking players and coaching. The cap person was always the same back then: Bryan Wiedmeier

Well it's my understanding that the dead cap money we had under the Trifecta's first couple of years was from Wanny era contracts.

But you don't think that 5 years of Wanny running the show continued to hurt us even through the Ireland era? I certainly do. There was absolutely nothing on the roster that Wannstedt drafted. Except, uhm, Vernon Carey? One player.

Randy Mueller left more for Parcells and Ireland to work with in two years on the job than WannSpiel did in the six that preceded him. That's just ridiculous. Six whole years of completely wasted drafts, terrible free agent signings and trades, and bad contracts. In fact, Jimmy Johnson left the Trifecta more to work with than Dave did. Again, that's just nuts.

Perhaps we are placing too much blame on people who came before, but do you agree that if Wanny had drafted even 3-4 solid long-term starters in his five years with the team that we'd be in better shape? If he had drafted even one Pro Bowler who remained with the team?

Why? To have 18 years of player evaluation in the NFL, suggest that he probably has some skill. If he was as hopeless as suggested, he would not have lasted. Nobody survives for 18 years at one team under different coaches and GM's just by being lucky or a nice guy. His skill is apparently in methodical evaluation.
I'd be more inclined to listen to Tony Dungy's comments than sources...

Not according to CK and Nicholas

Lmao, a '10-12 year downward spiral'. What does this asshole think the last 10-12 year period has been, a ****ing party?

:lol: Look, I am not really a fan of this hire and I realize we struck out big time in this search with other candidates, but this interview with Big O is a joke. The guy admits he doesn't really know Hickey and only really had one interview with him prior to a draft where his answers were very generic and didn't give away anything. Apparently the beat writers asked Tampa Bay never to give them Hickey again to interview because he didn't give much insight into their plans or printable quotes. Sounds to me like Bucs writers didn't really know him because he pretty much tried to stay out of the public light.

This Bucs guy talks about a decade of suffering because of this hire, that is just stupid headline grabbing garbage. If Hickey sucks he is probably out within the next 1-2 years, hardly a decade. After Cam Cameron's 1-15 year I am sure there were some that said Miami was so bad they wouldn't make the playoffs for the next decade and then the team came out the next year and won the division title.

I am not trying to defend this hire, and while criticism is very much warranted, the dooms day talk once again is going overboard. This team was one win away from the playoffs last year and in my opinion finally has a quality quarterback to build around that is still developing. You would think the Dolphins would be on track for an 0-16 season, I think it is safe to say Miami is closer to being a playoff team than a #1 overall pick contender.

As someone who listens to Tampa sports talk radio daily. They are all bafoons. Every single one of them. Never heard more uniformed, hometown biased drivel in my life.

Most of them were predicting Bucs to the Super Bowl the beginning of this year.

Not a surprise to me. I listen to D.C. sports talk a lot and these guys all think Griffin III is already in the Hall of Fame. I also would say that up until this year the Redskins are apparently playoff bound every year according to the hosts and writers that come on to speak.

My friend, this is a very strange question to come from a Dolphins fan. When has a GM ever laid such a ****ty footprint to affect a team 10-12 years down the road? The one and only Dave Wannstedt has done just that at two different stops.

Once in Chicago -- the Bears took YEARS to recover -- and once right here in Miami. This horrible trainwreck of a football team we have endured for the last decade plus has been primarily the fault of just one man: the Wannstache. The man who drafted garbage, traded away future picks for garbage, and signed garbage to horrible contracts. The man who was responsible for Dan Marino quitting out front office after just a month -- and as a result leaving a pair of clueless owners in charge of trying to fix a situation that just somehow seems to keep getting worse.

Do you realize that when the Tuna took over, we were still eating dead cap money from Wannspiel contracts? Not only was the cupboard completely bare (remember starting safety CAMERON WORRELL?) but the team didn't even have the full resources it needed to play catchup.

you don't think any of that has to do with the ineptitude of who came after him? Rick Spielman, Randy Mueller, and Ireland? I think it has a lot more to do with the combination of all of them, than just one head coach/personel guy from 2000-2003.

and last i checked, miami won the division when Tuna took over.

Yeah, thats a good source. Dungy will never send a negative message about anyone, let alone someone he worked with.

The guy talks about Caldwell like he's the second coming of Chuck Noll. I've never seen a more lifeless head coach in my life than Jim Caldwell.

you don't think any of that has to do with the ineptitude of who came after him? Rick Spielman, Randy Mueller, and Ireland? I think it has a lot more to do with the combination of all of them, than just one head coach/personel guy from 2000-2003.

and last i checked, miami won the division when Tuna took over.

Wannstedt didn't draft a single great player. He didn't draft a single ten year starter. He didn't draft a single thing that the regimes after him inherited. They essentially started from nothing. That doesn't have an impact on them?

That said, I agree with you that Jeff Ireland sucks and that Dave Wannstedt is not responsible for Jeff Ireland being bad at his job. However, Randy Mueller... it's worth pointing out that in 2007, the one year Randy Mueller actually had personnel control, he drafted a Pro Bowler and an All Pro who are still on the team. In six years (two with and four without the Tuna), Jeff Ireland has drafted a whopping... ONE Pro Bowler who is still on the team.

And yes, I do think Jeff's awful drafts will continue to hurt this team in the year 2020.

Well it's my understanding that the dead cap money we had under the Trifecta's first couple of years was from Wanny era contracts.

But you don't think that 5 years of Wanny running the show continued to hurt us even through the Ireland era? I certainly do. There was absolutely nothing on the roster that Wannstedt drafted. Except, uhm, Vernon Carey? One player.

Randy Mueller left more for Parcells and Ireland to work with in two years on the job than WannSpiel did in the six that preceded him. That's just ridiculous. Six whole years of completely wasted drafts, terrible free agent signings and trades, and bad contracts. In fact, Jimmy Johnson left the Trifecta more to work with than Dave did. Again, that's just nuts.

Perhaps we are placing too much blame on people who came before, but do you agree that if Wanny had drafted even 3-4 solid long-term starters in his five years with the team that we'd be in better shape? If he had drafted even one Pro Bowler who remained with the team?

I hate that son of a bitch. I hate it even worse we share the same first name.

Wannstedt didn't draft a single great player. He didn't draft a single ten year starter. He didn't draft a single thing that the regimes after him inherited. They essentially started from nothing. That doesn't have an impact on them?

That said, I agree with you that Jeff Ireland sucks and that Dave Wannstedt is not responsible for Jeff Ireland being bad at his job. However, Randy Mueller... it's worth pointing out that in 2007, the one year Randy Mueller actually had personnel control, he drafted a Pro Bowler and an All Pro who are still on the team. In six years (two with and four without the Tuna), Jeff Ireland has drafted a whopping... ONE Pro Bowler who is still on the team.

And yes, I do think Jeff's awful drafts will continue to hurt this team in the year 2020.

yes, that may have an impact after 2 or 3 years, but if it's still an impact after 3 years, I think it's more the inability of the new regime to make the team better, then it is wanny from 4 years ago, let alone 10-12. you can change a lot of players and instill a whole new offensive and defensive concept in 4 years...if the regime knew what it was doing.

sounds like tampas version of ARMONDO.

tamapas coaching after dungy and chuckie was the reason for there recent problems. NOT the talent as they have more than we do. they beat us EVERY time!!

and everyone is acting [at least the haters anyway] is hickey WAS NOT THE GM!! he didnt make the final decisions, in the draft or f/a or what play was called!!

and throw in a tank job on what appeared to be a an up and coming star in JOSH FREEMAN [something no one saw coming] coupled with BAD coaching [hickey didnt hire coaches] and there you have it.

since when, has a gm ever laid such a ****ty footprint, to affect a team 10-12 years down the road? Unless the tampa beat writers expect ross to keep hickey for 7-9 years.

for the love of God people, hickey was not the gm in tampa!! Mark dominic was!! and john mccay and bruce allen were gm's before dominic!!

For 18 years, hickey had no final say, was never gm, he didnt hire coaches or draw up plays. he scouted and then advised on personnel. Thats it!!!!

for the love of God people, hickey was not the gm in tampa!! Mark dominic was!! and john mccay and bruce allen were gm's before dominic!!

For 18 years, hickey had no final say, was never gm, he didnt hire coaches or draw up plays. he scouted and then advised on personnel. Thats it!!!!

I think you are lost. I wasn't talking about hickey as a gm for tampa, I was talking about hickey being a gm for Miami...or maybe i'm lost. lol

Hickey more old balls losing.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Ireland hired anywhere yet? Don't think so? How about Sherman? Nope.

Back
Top Bottom