Tannehill on a shorter leash for 2014 | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill on a shorter leash for 2014

Same old argument...and he isn't done just because the Jets gave up....The Patriots gave up on Plunkett...won two super bowls with the raiders.

Question...how good was the o-line and team around Sanchez versus what we had last year?

Well, there are far more average or bad QBs than elite QBs, so that should answer any such question. But the reason people bring up Brees is that he's just a convenient example. There are a lot of Pro Bowl / All-Pro / Hall of Fame QBs over the years who have been cruddy early in their careers and then improved dramatically.

Examples? Steve Young, Bob Griese, Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner, Troy Aikman, John Elway, Dan Fouts.

That's off the top of my head, and not including guys like Eli Manning and Joe Flacco, who have recently won Super Bowls. That's not including great players like Rodgers and Sonny Jurgensen who sat for years on the bench improving their craft. That's not including Peyton Manning who had a brutal rookie season.

Depending on where you draw the line at what constitutes a successful QB, you could also bring up guys like Kerry Collins or Terry Bradshaw.

We can play the what if game all off season long, but I do not see the elite qb so many on here claim. I hope I am wrong, but I don't see it I see a qb who could be good, but not elite.

Well we aren't comparing teams, we are comparing QBs.

But, Miami is like, super talented, with all pro WR's, and a stud RB....don't forget that defense that was super god on 3rd and longs

I hope I am wrong, but I don't see it I see a qb who could be good, but not elite.

Well every elite QB had to become good before he became elite. Its progress and potential that we are trying to measure here, we already know what he is right now.

Same old argument...and he isn't done just because the Jets gave up....The Patriots gave up on Plunkett...won two super bowls with the raiders.

Question...how good was the o-line and team around buttfumble versus what we had last year?

OL better obviously(though it wasn't nearly as good in 2010 when Mark had his best year), weapons were pretty even.

I don't think the OL was why Ryan failed. Obviously when another unit isn't strong it has an effect but he had more than enough to get that team to the playoffs.

We can play the what if game all off season long, but I do not see the elite qb so many on here claim. I hope I am wrong, but I don't see it I see a qb who could be good, but not elite.

The good news is you don't need elite QBs to win SBs. Since 2000 how many elite QBs have won?

Brady wasn't yet elite in 2001 so that year doesn't count:

Brady '03
Brady '04
Peyton '06
Ben '08
Brees '09
Rodgers '10

in 14 years only 6 have been won w/ elite QBs and even that is debatable.

his best season(2010) was better than Ryan's best(2013). it is proven a team can win big w/ Mark, that ahs yet to be proven w/ Ryan as the team failed in a pretty easy spot to close the season and make the playoffs.

How was it better? I agree Sanchez had a great game against the Pats in the division round, and did bring the Jets back against Pit in the conference championship you guys just buried yourselves early. That said how was Sanchez better in the regular season? He didn't play the final game and the week before against Chicago he had a very pedestrian game in a loss.

How was it better? I agree Sanchez had a great game against the Pats in the division round, and did bring the Jets back against Pit in the conference championship you guys just buried yourselves early. That said how was Sanchez better in the regular season? He didn't play the final game and the week before against Chicago he had a very pedestrian game in a loss.

he led the Jets to 27 pts at Chicago, he even gave the D a double digit lead. we didn't lose that game b/c of him.

he was MUCH better than the #s, he came through more often than not all year leading great late game comebacks numerous times. He had a bad 3 game stretch(vs. Cin, at NE, vs. Mia) but before and after that he was really god. he was a top 10 QB in the league that year. In postseason led a GW drive at the gun on the road at Indy, 3 TDs and 0 INts in the big upset at NE then brought us back from 24-0 down in the title game and gave us a shot but the D couldn't get a late stop to give him and the O a chance to win it.

also, keep in mind all the injuries/suspensions/distractions.

Hard Knocks
Holmes suspended 4 games
Braylon DUI(led us to 14-0 lead at Miami w/o Holmes and Braylon)
Alosi stuff
foot fetish stuff

was great vs. NE in week 2 in 28-14 win
was great at Miami when Miami was 2-0 entering that game and had the Braylon DUI distraction and the Jets held out his best WR for a qtr.
played in a monsoon vs. Minnesota and didn't turn it over
great play to escape and give Holmes a chance on deep pass at den that set up GW TD
down 10 w/ 4 ins left at Det led us to 10 pts then GW FG on 1st drive in OT
check out the GW drive vs. Houston, down 4 w/ :49 secs left, NO timeouts at NYJ 28. throws most beautiful pass down the sideline to Braylon that you will ever see then a perfect ball for the GW TD to Holmes.
after 2 bad games at NE and vs. Mia w/ the Alosi stuff coming out after Miami played great at Pitt in game that really saved their season.

keep in mind the D blew a lead at Miami, vs. Minny, at Denver, at Cle, vs. Hou and he led us to wins in all of those games.

he led the Jets to 27 pts at Chicago, he even gave the D a double digit lead. we didn't lose that game b/c of him.

he was MUCH better than the #s, he came through more often than not all year leading great late game comebacks numerous times. He had a bad 3 game stretch(vs. Cin, at NE, vs. Mia) but before and after that he was really god. he was a top 10 QB in the league that year. In postseason led a GW drive at the gun on the road at Indy, 3 TDs and 0 INts in the big upset at NE then brought us back from 24-0 down in the title game and gave us a shot but the D couldn't get a late stop to give him and the O a chance to win it.

also, keep in mind all the injuries/suspensions/distractions.

Hard Knocks
Holmes suspended 4 games
Braylon DUI(led us to 14-0 lead at Miami w/o Holmes and Braylon)
Alosi stuff
foot fetish stuff

was great vs. NE in week 2 in 28-14 win
was great at Miami when Miami was 2-0 entering that game and had the Braylon DUI distraction and the Jets held out his best WR for a qtr.
played in a monsoon vs. Minnesota and didn't turn it over
great play to escape and give Holmes a chance on deep pass at den that set up GW TD
down 10 w/ 4 ins left at Det led us to 10 pts then GW FG on 1st drive in OT
check out the GW drive vs. Houston, down 4 w/ :49 secs left, NO timeouts at NYJ 28. throws most beautiful pass down the sideline to Braylon that you will ever see then a perfect ball for the GW TD to Holmes.
after 2 bad games at NE and vs. Mia w/ the Alosi stuff coming out after Miami played great at Pitt in game that really saved their season.

keep in mind the D blew a lead at Miami, vs. Minny, at Denver, at Cle, vs. Hou and he led us to wins in all of those games.

You make a convincing argument.

come on man...don't you know drew brees came out of the womb a franchise qb...oh wait...he didn't???
And what are the odds that Tannehill is a Drew Brees, versus being like the vastly greater percentage of QBs who did nothing spectacular in their first two years and then never did later in their careers, either?

Or are we comfortable believing Tannehill will be the exception to the rule because we're Dolphins fans?

The thing is Ryan doesn't have to be a Drew Brees, those types are extremely rare. he just needs to keep developing into a good QB and prove Miami can win with him. Whether he's considered the 5th best, 10th best, 15th best is irrelevant. as long as they can win w/ him.

The thing is Ryan doesn't have to be a Drew Brees, those types are extremely rare. he just needs to keep developing into a good QB and prove Miami can win with him. Whether he's considered the 5th best, 10th best, 15th best is irrelevant. as long as they can win w/ him.

The thing that separates the elite QBs Marino, Elway, Montana, Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Favre, etc how they handle a loss. You won't see them on the sideline laughing and joking, they are ****ing pissed! I laugh at people on here that slam Brady for being pissed after a loss, yet forget how Marino would act! Those guys are true professionals and that mentality is what separates them as elite and better then the rest.

The thing that separates the elite QBs Marino, Elway, Montana, Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Favre, etc how they handle a loss. You won't see them on the sideline laughing and joking, they are ****ing pissed! I laugh at people on here that slam Brady for being pissed after a loss, yet forget how Marino would act! Those guys are true professionals and that mentality is what separates them as elite and better then the rest.

was Ryan laughing on the sidelines late in losses? how many QBs are doing that?

That is big news, but there were some smart posters on here who could clearly see Matt Moore and Pat Devlin would have gotten this team into the playoffs, certainly during our last 2 games of the season, against inferior competition.

I received an email from a friend, that a certain long time poster was banned for his critical opinions about Tannehill. Not sure if this is true, but to ban a poster for having an opinion about the team is a bit silly.

Maybe Ireland forced Philbin to go with Tannehill all along?

I hope something good comes out of this.

Back
Top Bottom