Tannenbaum says: DENNIS HICKEY runs draft and ALL personel............ | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannenbaum says: DENNIS HICKEY runs draft and ALL personel............

I think Miami will go out of their way to ensure the league knows they didn't violate the hiring process when they brought Tannenbaum in.

If Hickey has a guy at 14, and Tannenbaum disagrees and has a guy . . . . you honestly think that Hickey says "well I really don't give a **** what you think I'm taking him end of story" . . . . nah . . . Hickey/Philbin are on the short leashes, not Mike. He's taking a guy that is "future proof" not some short term "save a job fill a need" guy. Tannenbaum is Hickey's boss . . . he'll give Hickey rope but don't think for a second that its free rein.

And yea, it is all speculation by everybody . . . but it only makes sense.

And isn't that ironic: the one front office guy going back even before the last regime who looks like he's worth a damn is on a short leash. Yet the bozo who, being kicked to the curb effectively left his successor in such a deep hole so he could only fail, couldn't even secure a lateral GM job offer from his peers, forced to become a sports agent is now actually hired a level above the one he failed at.. seemingly safe and insulated??

Is it only the Fins who dwell in this Parallel Universe?

And isn't that ironic: the one front office guy going back even before the last regime who looks like he's worth a damn is on a short leash. Yet the bozo who, being kicked to the curb effectively left his successor in such a deep hole so he could only fail, couldn't even secure a lateral GM job offer from his peers, forced to become a sports agent is now actually hired a level above the one he failed at.. seemingly safe and insulated??

Is it only the Fins who dwell in this Parallel Universe?

Too damn true. I'm not comfortable with Tannenbaum at all.

I like what Hickey did last year, he played it safe early to fill 2 urgent need and got 2 solid football players . . . hell 2 solid young men . . . and then he gambled later on . . . . which I can respect because guys like Turner, Fede and Aikens could be pivotal in year 2 . . . . 3 guys that needed a year on a NFL bench to season up a bit and even those guys started getting reps late.

Are you fugging kidding?

You mean you can't believe out of the mans mouth? That's insane!!

Hickey was hired to do just that. Why are you not getting? It should have never been in question. Some media idiot didn't see the part where ross said Hickey still runs the draft and all personell and answers only to him and some guys just can't get there head around it and have taken it as fact. And wont let go even when the man says the job is no his!!

What would be the point of Tannenbaum lying about it? Its goofy!!

I swear. ONLY in the miami dolphins can a guy state his job responsibilities and be called a liar!! Un real.

not saying you're wrong but it's not always a good idea to take these guys for their word

Are you fugging kidding?

You mean you can't believe out of the mans mouth? That's insane!!

Hickey was hired to do just that. Why are you not getting? It should have never been in question. Some media idiot didn't see the part where ross said Hickey still runs the draft and all personell and answers only to him and some guys just can't get there head around it and have taken it as fact. And wont let go even when the man says the job is no his!!

What would be the point of Tannenbaum lying about it? Its goofy!!

I swear. ONLY in the miami dolphins can a guy state his job responsibilities and be called a liar!! Un real.

I think phin fans or a lot of people in general automatically assume the worst / or a negative mind frame on whatever the phins do because of our history. (Which I don't agree with times change, and nothing stays the same.) Nothing Tannebaum or Hickey could say would really change it either.

Do you guys know that Mike Tannenbaum was on Coach Belichick's team back in cleaveland. He has some skills, no one is perfect. I rather have Tannenbaum doing my draft or at least injecting his opinioin than Jeff Ireland any day.

I think Miami will go out of their way to ensure the league knows they didn't violate the hiring process when they brought Tannenbaum in.

If Hickey has a guy at 14, and Tannenbaum disagrees and has a guy . . . . you honestly think that Hickey says "well I really don't give a **** what you think I'm taking him end of story" . . . . nah . . . Hickey/Philbin are on the short leashes, not Mike. He's taking a guy that is "future proof" not some short term "save a job fill a need" guy. Tannenbaum is Hickey's boss . . . he'll give Hickey rope but don't think for a second that its free rein.

And yea, it is all speculation by everybody . . . but it only makes sense.

I honestly think Tannenbaum won't even say anything about the draft. it's not his job...

I honestly think Tannenbaum won't even say anything about the draft. it's not his job...

Tannenbaum's title pretty much makes him in charge of everything, including Hickey, and what he does with the draft.

Hickey proved competent enough last year with how he managed the draft, and I'm sure Mike, being a boss, will allow him to focus his talents on this all important draft next week. Mike is not out there scouting talent from Marist college to be picked in round 7.

But if you don't think when he comes to that first round pick that Mike Tannenbaum doesn't have his connections and have his scouts whispering in his ear on what guy to be on the look out for . . . and that his opinion "matters" in round 1 in what Miami ultimately does . . . . then thats fine, we'll just continue to disagree on that aspect.

We just had this same situation with Parcells/Ireland. Ireland was GM, notorious scout and in charge of the draft/roster . . . . . Parcells was the VP, hell Parcells was given that title so that he could fire a GM . . . and snatch a guy like Ireland from a team and make him a GM w/o having to jump through too many hoops of taking a guy off of one team and giving him the same position. Parcells was VERY influential in the entire draft process.

We were able to bring in Mike Tannenbaum, circumventing the Rooney Rule, because we recreated that exact same position. He's the head dog and his #1 job is to protect the interest of the Miami Dolphins, now and in the future. That includes the draft. He'll have more than enough to say about it . . . they may ultimately decide what Hickey does is the right way to lean . . . . but this is Mike Tannenbaum's team. Essentially, he got hired to be Jerry Jones . . . . except Ross has the money and he has the power.

Again, it's all speculation, but there is a past record here that is hard to ignore.

It makes all the sense in the world but it's good to say -baum say it. First of all, who would be so dumb as to bring in -baum as GM. Second of all, Hickey's contract said he had control over the 53. The team could get in trouble not just with the league, but with Hickey himself from a legal standpoint.

Of course the situation forces Hickey to make some concessions. What they are in particular, who knows.

About the comparisons with Parcells/Ireland there is one huge difference. Parcells brought Ireland in, Ireland knew exactly what he was getting into: a supposed GM who was really Parcells assistant. In this case it's the other way around and it's not workable. Suppose Ireland had been the GM, how would he have reacted if they suddenly brought Parcells in and told him, "by the way, you're fired but we're going to keep you on the payroll as GM. Now be a good boy and go play in the yard".

As an owner, you'd need some big, big balls to try something like that and more than a little luck to actually get away with it.

I am so tired of arguing this...Tannenbaum can only say this and if not the team is in a hot mess.

Do your really, really, really think Thursday that if Hickey wants a player different than Tannenbaum, Hickey will run the card up anyway? Give me a break.

I love the work Tannenbaum has done and think Hickey did fine last year. However, it is obvious to anyone that follows this team that Mike Tannenbaum runs this team.

So.....Then why is Hickey here? Tannebaum is probably in charge of trades/contracts/free agents. But Tannebaum is an average talent evaluator. But I honestly think Hickey is here to manage the draft, if nothing else, that's Hickey's job. I believe Hickey is the one who is speaking with most of the prospects one on one and meeting with them.

About the comparisons with Parcells/Ireland there is one huge difference. Parcells brought Ireland in, Ireland knew exactly what he was getting into: a supposed GM who was really Parcells assistant. In this case it's the other way around and it's not workable. Suppose Ireland had been the GM, how would he have reacted if they suddenly brought Parcells in and told him, "by the way, you're fired but we're going to keep you on the payroll as GM. Now be a good boy and go play in the yard".

As an owner, you'd need some big, big balls to try something like that and more than a little luck to actually get away with it.

You all really think Hickey has all this power don't ya? Last time I checked, he's on year 2 of a 2 year deal. He's as good as gone unless there is a lot of success in 2015 and Hickey isn't offered a better job with another team. You don't think Tannenbaum has the intention to A. Hire his "own" guy . . . . or B. Just lose his fall guy and take over everything w/o replacing the GM?

Or did we give him some kind of extension to ensure his value to the Miami Dolphins?

I get being positive about your football team, but you have to call it how it is. This all sets up perfectly for Mike Tannenbaum and Hickey is essentially keeping a well paying job as a lead guy of a well respected organization.

You don't think Hickey says "ok Mike, I'll play ball" . . . the same Hickey who was like option 7 on our GM list? Come on man . . . I like what he did in year 1 but this pedastool that some of you have him on is just unbelievably high . . . or maybe the previous GM set the bar so low?

Either way there is a great chance that Dennis Hickey is not on this team after the season, whether it's because of poor performance or because he does so well that he can go to another team and not have a Mike Tannenbaum over him.

It's right there, you can choose to see it or not.

Finally!!!!!!! He says it.

Its about half way into the article. I have a finz app that let's you see all the sentinels articles. If you can't see the whole article download the free app from play store. Its very cool and info is put up quick!!! Its called MIAMI FOOTBALL presented by sunsentinel.com .

This is a GOOD thing all the way around. We won't have jet killer driving us off the cliff and we will now know who is responsible for the picks, good or bad on draft day.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-draft-0425-20150424-story.html

Tannenbaum lies... The moves this offseason have his hand prints all over them...

You all really think Hickey has all this power don't ya? Last time I checked, he's on year 2 of a 2 year deal. He's as good as gone unless there is a lot of success in 2015 and Hickey isn't offered a better job with another team. You don't think Tannenbaum has the intention to A. Hire his "own" guy . . . . or B. Just lose his fall guy and take over everything w/o replacing the GM?

Or did we give him some kind of extension to ensure his value to the Miami Dolphins?

I get being positive about your football team, but you have to call it how it is. This all sets up perfectly for Mike Tannenbaum and Hickey is essentially keeping a well paying job as a lead guy of a well respected organization.

You don't think Hickey says "ok Mike, I'll play ball" . . . the same Hickey who was like option 7 on our GM list? Come on man . . . I like what he did in year 1 but this pedastool that some of you have him on is just unbelievably high . . . or maybe the previous GM set the bar so low?

Either way there is a great chance that Dennis Hickey is not on this team after the season, whether it's because of poor performance or because he does so well that he can go to another team and not have a Mike Tannenbaum over him.

It's right there, you can choose to see it or not.

Ya know, I've been one of the most forgiving Ross supporters, rationalizing or explaining away his boneheaded moves as being a well-meaning, free-spending novice, on a steep learning curve who will grow more savvy. (although extending The Meatball did make me waver some). However, the ponderous hiring of a failed GM who no one else wanted even at a lateral level, let alone an elevated position now which he enjoys has caused me to reconsider my defense of Steve.

Sure, we've all been clamoring for a real football man to come in and make the decisions Ross stumbles over, but sorry, IMHO, Tannenbaum, a recycled bean counter who left his successor in such a hole to dig out from that he couldn't succeed, is not the real deal and judging from his track record, certainly shows no signs of being able to shepherd this team's success going forward - only to mortgage its future for a possible, not probably present.

Ya know, I've been one of the most forgiving Ross supporters, rationalizing or explaining away his boneheaded moves as being a well-meaning, free-spending novice, on a steep learning curve who will grow more savvy. (although extending The Meatball did make me waver some). However, the ponderous hiring of a failed GM who no one else wanted even at a lateral level, let alone an elevated position now which he enjoys has caused me to reconsider my defense of Steve.

Sure, we've all been clamoring for a real football man to come in and make the decisions Ross stumbles over, but sorry, IMHO, Tannenbaum, a recycled bean counter who left his successor in such a hole to dig out from that he couldn't succeed, is not the real deal and judging from his track record, certainly shows no signs of being able to shepherd this team's success going forward - only to mortgage its future for a possible, not probably present.

It's just an unfortunate truth and really sets up nicely for Mike Tannenbaum on paper. Hickey is a lame duck and the probable intention is for Mike Tannenbaum to not renew his contract and take over all player operations in 2016. No questions asked, nobody is fired, the contract lapses and Tannenbaum slides right in there. The fact that's he's Hickey's boss right now and this outcome is pretty much inevitable means he'll have his say on what goes on in this draft and definitely has the stones to "make the call" if he chooses too.

Ross didn't have to do this, but he stills treats this as a business first and foremost. He needs a high profile guy who can grab the big fish to sell his high profile stadium renovation in 2016.

I guess I should put the caveat of "I am speculating" in there, since everybody wants to feel this is going in another direction.

Like I said, I was perfectly fine with rolling with Hickey into 2015, but when we signed Tannenbaum, everything changed.

Why would Tannenbaum take a step down from President of football operations to GM. Makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom