TE in the 1st Round | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TE in the 1st Round

SmokyFin

Starter
Reaction score
I've mentioned in a couple of random posts that I think it would still be worth considering drafting OJ Howard if he falls to Miami at 22 even after signing Thomas. Now recently, I've seen Daniel Jeremiah projecting Miami taking Njoku with their 1st rounder.

Like everyone, I know all about the defensive needs the team has. However, if we could get Howard and have a dynamic duo of him and Thomas at TE to go along with our strong WR core and Ajayi that offense could be unstoppable. And an offense that scores a ton of points will help make up for a lot of deficiencies on the defensive side. Then outside of drafting a Guard we could use the rest of our picks all on defense. Does this not make sense?

I wouldnt be opposed to drafting Howard if we can somehow (Trade maybe??) come up with at least one more staring (maybe even middle of the road) OG. As we stand right now we really have needs at OG, DE,DT, LB, FS, and slot CB. I dont know if we can affort to take Howard with pick #22 as things stand right now.....

I think if OJ Howard falls to 22, you have to at least consider it. You absolutely have to CONSIDER it. Weighing him against what else is there at 22.

But I think it's about a 1 in 100,000,000 chance we draft a TE in round one with this roster.

more likely if Julius Thomas fails Miami is gonna be looking at mark Andrews next year

You guys and your shiny objects.... We do not need a tight end nearly as much as we need LBs, DEs, and even OGs. There is no way that he is so much better than the talent at a need especially at the LB and DE position that you can justify this.

I saw his mock. He had Reddick going the very next pick iirc.

Stopped reading any further.

If Gase feels one of these first round TEs will be a freak mismatch for the next decade, and he'll be available at our pick, take him. I'd respect the ballsy selection.

Conventional wisdom says LB, DE, or DB in round 1 though

Hell no. Even if we dodnt have Thomas we desperately need talent on d

We have lots of Defensive needs. We have Offensive line needs. Njoku is nice to have, but he's not a need. I respect Daniel Jeremiah but after trading for Julius Thomas, I'm pretty sure that he's totally wrong.

If you do select Njoku or Howard you could trade Thomas for a linebacker or de. Maybe to a team like Philly for Kendricks.

You guys and your shiny objects.... We do not need a tight end nearly as much as we need LBs, DEs, and even OGs. There is no way that he is so much better than the talent at a need especially at the LB and DE position that you can justify this.

:lol:

I do like shiny objects.

I just think that if Howard is there at 22, it should be discussed and considered. That's the case where I think the team should strongly consider just taking him and then firing everything in the chamber to move back up into the top 40 again for defensive help.

I'd do it in a heartbeat. It could easily become one of the scariest offenses in the league. Look at what NE always does with two TEs.

There's also the chance that Thomas doesn't pan out for whatever reason or is on the bench with his usual nagging injuries and Howard could step in and become the man at TE right away.

The defense should be greatly improved already with Timmons, Hayes and the return of Jones. Maybe they'll even add Poe? Then use all of the rest of the picks, other than Howard and a G at some point, on defense.

If you do select Njoku or Howard you could trade Thomas for a linebacker or de. Maybe to a team like Philly for Kendricks or a team rich in linebacker depth. I like THomas, but if you were really high on Njoku or Howard you could use Thomas as tight end insurance and then make a move accordingly. Another option would be drafting a te sending Thoand mas to Baltimore for Crockett Gilmore who is a big young te who can block and catch. Miami would have Njoku and Gillmore and Baltimore would have Thomas and Maxx Williams... a win/win deal.

I'm sure Miami goes defense or guard early in the draft, but if tight end is a desire I wouldn't let Thomas change that.

Back
Top Bottom