TE in the 1st Round | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TE in the 1st Round

I've seen Howard referred to as the best tight end prospect in the last 10 years. I seriously doubt he will last that deep into the first round.

Atlanta was ALREADY in FG position. Running it three more times would have gotten them at least somewhat closer and they would have kicked the FG and won the game. End of story,game over.

The story of that game was Atlanta's pathetic playcalling and New England's offense with Brady throwing the ball 62 times. Just like Seattle's pathetic playcall at the goal line gave NE that Super Bowl.

You don't pass on an incredible talent like Howard to pick an underwhelming LB one round earlier. Gase wouldn't either.

New England was opportunistic. Nothing more. They took advantage of GIGANTIC errors on both Seattle's and Atlanta's part. There is no excuse for Atlanta running their plays with 15 to 20 seconds left on the play clock while holding a lead in the 4th quarter. They handed them the game and anyone that doesn't see that is either a Pats fan or an idiot. (or both as is usually the case)

New England was opportunistic. Nothing more. They took advantage of GIGANTIC errors on both Seattle's and Atlanta's part. There is no excuse for Atlanta running their plays with 15 to 20 seconds left on the play clock while holding a lead in the 4th quarter. They handed them the game and anyone that doesn't see that is either a Pats fan or an idiot. (or both as is usually the case)

:up:

Howard won't be there for Miami at #22. I have him as a top 5 overall talent in this draft. After being tragically under utilized at Alabama in the passing game his entire career, he's aced every single aspect of the pre-draft process. All he did was go out there every single week and block his butt off for Kiffin's offense and never uttered a word. Just did whatever was asked of him, and patiently waited for his one game a year where he was featured in the passing game...always in the biggest game of the year. He showed what an incredible talent he really was.

Howard is the most under used talented weapon and best kept secret to come out of Tuscaloosa since Julio Jones. Physically he is to the TE position what Julio was to the receiver position. Furthermore, they're the same type of exceptional people. Dimitroff stressed time and time again that it was the person+talent that they traded up for when they traded up for Julio. It's the same thing in regards to O.J. Howard. Somebody is going to try to trade up for him. Somebody who has ties to Saban and Alabama that gets a little more insight into the more personal off field aspects. Maybe it's Dimitroff again. Or Ozzie Newsome. Or maybe it's Adam Gase.

Much like Julio, Howard came to Alabama the best at his position, wasn't featured enough, and will leave the best at his position. Make no mistake, O.J. Howard will explode in the NFL. It's a no brainier for a team like Miami to take him if he was there at #22. But he won't be. There's no gas mask video this time around. I'm a firm believer Gase and Miami are smitten with him. They certainly have defensive needs, but not at the expense of turning their nose up at such an elite talent at a key position for the coach where he has nothing but 1 and 2 year contracts. That's two roster spots and two contracts just to try and accomplish what O.J. Howard can do for your offense in terms of receiving and blocking. A prospect like Howard makes your offensive line, receiving group, RB's, and quarterback all better.

Which is the point. The point is to get better. Not to fill needs. Filling needs doesn't necessarily make you better. Which is why it doesn't always make sense to do it just to say you filled a need.

Slim, it's entirely possible that you might have forgotten more football than I know now but I feel compelled to highight some things that you brought up.

1. As you put it: after being tragically under utilized at Alabama in the passing game his entire career, ... All he did was go out there every single week and block his butt off for Kiffin's offense and never uttered a word. Just did whatever was asked of him, and patiently waited for his one game a year where he was featured in the passing game...always in the biggest game of the year.

Not his fault but he really has not demonstrated on a game-to-game basis that he can perform as a receiver at a high level.

2. One of the main reasons for his very high ranking has to do with "he's aced every single aspect of the pre-draft process."

Now, you may be right that he becomes as good in the NFL as you say. But history is littered with players who were freakish athletes in college that didn't translate into the NFL. Until this summer I lived in Alabama and I saw my share of the team play with him. I guess my point is, I can't see that he is as sure a bet as you say. Again, you are pretty good and I have a lot of respect for you but if this were a player from a less known school would you have the same conviction?

I don't think this is a simple BPA vs. need choice. We shouldn't be in a position of picking the best of a not very talented group of DEs, LBs, etc.

EXACTLY. Pathetic coaching cost Atlanta the SB title.

I'd say Howard is gone by 22 and I wouldn't trade up for him right now. Don't sleep on the Ravens. I'm going to guess Ozzie is going to be on him like white on rice. Love the player but I don't see it.

Njoku at 22? No way. I'd be severely disappointed.

I just don't see it anymore with Thomas and Fasano being brought here. Not unless Howard is there, but he'll be long gone by then.

I wouldn't rule out a TE. It just depends on who is on the board and how they have them rated. They have set up the team pretty well through FA so they can take the Bpa. If that's a TE, then fine. I'd prefer a LB or DE but if the best ones are off the board so be it.

It depends on who is off the board. If my favorite DE and LB are gone, I would think about it but I think we would get a lot more use out of Forest Lamp. Starting left guard for the next 5 years to grow with Tunsil.

Howard I wouldn't have a problem with. However, as freakish as Njoku is, he's also raw and doesn't have great hands.
I don't believe you spend a 1st rd pick on potential. Guy has to be ready to make an impact from day 1. In that scenario I take the best defensive player on the board.
Excellent point.

I really like Njoku too, but he reminds me of Jared Cook. I'd rather wait until the 2nd or possibly 3rd and take Bucky Hodges if I were going for a great specimen that is a work in progress.

Both have phenomenal physical traits, explosion, raw tools to block and phenomenal upside. But both are still learning the position. Neither has great hands.

Don't get me wrong, those two guys are both in an elite top tier with Howard, but they are more raw and less of a sure thing. Kinda like how Jimmy Graham was.

Personally, I'm looking for an edge rusher with scheme flexibility if I can get a top one at 22. This draft is so wonderfully deep that I think we can get it. IMHO, TJ Watt may be the steal of this draft in 10 years time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom