Thank God We Didn't End Up With Rosen | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thank God We Didn't End Up With Rosen

Terrible Post, You realize Tannehill actually did worse in his first 4 starts. Got to give the man some time.... Not saying he will be good but 4 games?

Wow so this is exactly what’s wrong with our fan base. We expect our next qb to be a Marino or Manning. We expect our next running back to be Ricky Williams.

Generational talent doesn’t come around every five years and you can’t expext the team to have a chance to draft them.

Hot takes on rookie quarterbacks are pure nonsense. Good or bad.

Environment and landing spot are critical for any rookie quarterback. Coaching, offensive line, scheme, weapons, and defense are all factors - and pretty much in that order. When you're on a team batting 0 for 5 there, things aren't what they appear to be. Jared Goff can testify to this based on his rookie year under Jeff Fisher.

Was wondering if someone would mention Goff, and I agree with your order. Just finished a post highlighting how important coaching and scheme are for any young QB. Despite the rule changes that favor the pass, any OC that doesn't know how to scheme open his receivers is putting his QB and team at a huge disadvantage. It's amazing to me that there are NFL coaches that don't seem to understand where the paint points/point of conflict are for a given defense. While the rules favor the offense, defensive players are just getting bigger and faster, and they're coming out with a higher degree of refinement - I assume this is due to all the extra football they play in high school and the competitive coaching landscape in college football, where there is less room for a good-old-boys network than there is in the NFL.

Was wondering if someone would mention Goff, and I agree with your order. Just finished a post highlighting how important coaching and scheme are for any young QB. Despite the rule changes that favor the pass, any OC that doesn't know how to scheme open his receivers is putting his QB and team at a huge disadvantage. It's amazing to me that there are NFL coaches that don't seem to understand where the paint points/point of conflict are for a given defense. While the rules favor the offense, defensive players are just getting bigger and faster, and they're coming out with a higher degree of refinement - I assume this is due to all the extra football they play in high school and the competitive coaching landscape in college football, where there is less room for a good-old-boys network than there is in the NFL.

Per the last part, it's also because the offensive side of the ball has been losing premium athletes because of how much pressure is put on D with all the rule changes. Offensive line and TE were hurt the most. Those guys are becoming D linemen, pass rushers, and LBs. Just look at how offensive lines have been trending down and getting QBs killed. They just aren't good enough.

Generational talent doesn’t come around every five years and you can’t expext the team to have a chance to draft them.

I don't full agree with this statement.

In 2005 we had a chance to draft Aaron Rodgers
In 2006 we had a chance to get Drew Brees through free agency
In 2008 we had a chance to draft Matt Ryan
In 2012 we had a chance to draft Russell Wilson
In 2017 we could have made the same deal KC did and got Pat Mahomes. They were drafting behind us in first round and gave (2) 1st's and a 3rd.

We have had chances but the people in charge of the Dolphins have made the wrong choices every time.

Per the last part, it's also because the offensive side of the ball has been losing premium athletes because of how much pressure is put on D with all the rule changes. Offensive line and TE were hurt the most. Those guys are becoming D linemen, pass rushers, and LBs. Just look at how offensive lines have been trending down and getting QBs killed. They just aren't good enough.

Absolutely. Though, some freaks sneak through to TE. Pass Rusher - be it 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB - and Cornerback are the two must-have positions after QB. A high-end DT is also valuable, but (without taking the time to count), I doubt there are 10 of them - let alone 32. And, you can have a great D while having DT's who are just solid. Pass Rusher and Cornerback are non-negotiable positions. I think you need a certain amount of quality at LB and S - and particularly need a certain amount of range from those positions - but they don't typically require premium assets. Of course, great players at any position, particularly on D, move the needle, but with regard to investment, they're not in the same class. No surprise that Pass Rusher and Cornerback are the most expensive positions on D (outside of the few elite DT's) - and the most athletic positions in the sport.

OT, OG, and C are also must-have positions, but I think the threshold is lower than Pass Rusher and Cornerback. But, it's always weird to me when teams invest heavily in WR's and RB's when they don't have Pass Rusher, CB, and all of the OL in order. Like, if your coaches are worth anything, WR's are plentiful. Look at the Rams. Cooks is a low-end best WR. Woods is just a solid 2nd-best, and Kupp is just a solid 3rd-best, but if you have a coach that knows what he's doing and a good QB and OL, they can play at a high level. You can't do that with Pass Rushers and Cornerbacks - not to that extent, anyway.

Last edited:
I don't full agree with this statement.

In 2005 we had a chance to draft Aaron Rodgers
In 2006 we had a chance to get Drew Brees through free agency
In 2008 we had a chance to draft Matt Ryan
In 2012 we had a chance to draft Russell Wilson
In 2017 we could have made the same deal KC did and got Pat Mahomes. They were drafting behind us in first round and gave (2) 1st's and a 3rd.

We have had chances but the people in charge of the Dolphins have made the wrong choices every time.
bullshit. that's hindsight. no one knew brady was a once in a lifetime talent. brees wasn't a sure thing and is nothing but a hindsight choice. Aaron rogers? hindsight. the only sure fire pick considered to be a generational talent that I can remember was andrew luck. before him it was manning. So yeah, I don't care what your hindsight tells you. And dont' make me laugh by putting Matt Ryan's name anywhere near the word generational.

I would take Rosen over any QB coming out in the next draft, nobody really stands out except for that Tua cat from Bama and not sure if he can enter the draft, isn't he a sophomore?

I would take Rosen over any QB coming out in the next draft, nobody really stands out except for that Tua cat from Bama and not sure if he can enter the draft, isn't he a sophomore?

Have Rosen and Herbert ranked similarly at this point, but I would probably give Rosen the slight edge - agree. And, yes, 2020 for Tua.

Goff's a great example. I watched a few Rams games his rookie season and I thought Goff looked like a promising quarterback. The problem was obviously Jeff Fisher. Guy almost killed that kid's career before it even started.

You put even a promising kid in position to do nothing but fail, don't be surprised when he fails.

Rosen looks really awful. So did Bradford. I think when it comes down to it that Cardinals staff is just completely inept.

Goff's a great example. I watched a few Rams games his rookie season and I thought Goff looked like a promising quarterback. The problem was obviously Jeff Fisher. Guy almost killed that kid's career before it even started.

You put even a promising kid in position to do nothing but fail, don't be surprised when he fails.

I thought that Goff was a terrible reach at number one and simply drafted that high because that's what teams do. I thought Wentz was a more exciting prospect, though it wasn't surprising a guy with his background wasn't drafted number one. When Goff played bad as a rookie I thought he was just bad, and so did a lot of others. He proved me wrong.

Back
Top Bottom