The 2 Players it should come down to that we draft!!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2 Players it should come down to that we draft!!!!

DolFinatic718

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
2. Justin Smiley OG 6-3 298 Alabama
The best pure guard in the draft. Justin is a very, very good athlete who has a lot of power. He's got great feet and very good strength in his thigh and hip area. He is the best pulling guard in this draft, and his strength allows him to hold his own against bull rushers in pass protection. He's got terrific read and react skills and just needs to polish up a couple of aspects in his game. He is very quick and explosive when coming off the ball, but there are times when he will let his pad level got too high. He will lose leverage when this happens, but he is reactive enough to recover when he is beat initially. This guy is one of the best guard prospects I have evaluated. I believe he will be a Pro Bowl guard within his first three seasons in the NFL.

3. Shawn Andrews OT 6-4 343 Arkansas
Shawn is easily the most dominating run blocker in the draft. When he gets his hands on a defender, it is over. That defender is going nowhere. Shawn is also a very large man. At times too large. He has let his weight get up to 400 lbs before, but since January, he has worked hard and with a nutritionist to get his weight back down. When he is playing in the 330-340 lbs area, he is a very dominant blocker with extremely quick feet. He has good enough feet that he can hold his own as a pass blocker on the edge. He is better at blocking defensive linemen than he his at getting out into the second level to block. He is a little slow when coming off the ball. This is a player that may project to guard eventually in the NFL. I think he has enough footspeed that he could pull out and lead block on a sweep from the guard position. He also has the size and strength to manhandle the big defensive tackles that will line up on his nose. Shawn is a definite first round prospect that has some question marks about his weight. He should be able to start in the NFL right away as either a right tackle or a right guard though.

NO WR. NO QB. NO DT.

LETS GO WITH THE SURE THING AND WHATS NEEDED TO SURE UP THIS OLINE. THATS WHAT IS GOING TO GET US TO THE PROMISE LAND, THE GUYS IN THE TRENCHES!!!

I couldn't agree with you anymore 718, u took the words right out of my mouth. It is vital that we make this happen, not only for this year but for years to come. We are acquiring alot of young talent, rick is making some great moves, lets hope it continues, i am confident it will.

Man, I'm loving Smiley more and more. Sorry, but Andrews reminds me of Aaron Gibson. Couple that with the fact that Kenyatta Walker was rated way higher than Andrews when he came out, and Walker has not come close to his hype. Andrews scares me, and that fact that we are an A-Gap running team, makes me lean toward Smiley even more...
23 Quicktrap, here we come :rocker:

Philip Rivers!!!! :tongue: j/k

I agree with you Dolfinatic we have to seriously consider these 2 guys. Either one of them will be perfect. also there IS a difference between Aaron Gibson and Shawn Andrews...Andrews has a passion for the game and loves playing it, Gibson does not. I was on another board and one of the members is a student at UF, he said Max Starks came in to visit his girlfriend and said that the Phins were interested in picking him in the 3rd round to play Guard...just wanted to let you guys know.

Originally posted by TheBostonBomber
I couldn't agree with you anymore 718, u took the words right out of my mouth. It is vital that we make this happen, not only for this year but for years to come. We are acquiring alot of young talent, rick is making some great moves, lets hope it continues, i am confident it will.

Hey thanks BostonBomber

"Two NFL personnel men from the AFC recently said Miami's work along the offensive line is commendable for its intentions but unlikely to yield great change unless further additions are made.

The Dolphins know more work must be done, but Spielman points out the offseason isn't over while still defending his acquisition of St. Clair and McIntosh."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiheral...hotmail.com&KRD_RM=1iqpimnmnlophhhhhhhhihjmkn|j|Y&is_rd=Y

I think Smiley or Andrews is that addiational piece we need to make all of these offseason aqcuisitions stick. I mean to be able to look at the OL across the board and be able to say "Wow this O Line is much improved over last years" we must sign one of these two players. Hands down.

Adding another FA O linemen for depth or inusrance like Solomon or Randal is still cool with me but that still doesnt change the fact we need a young "stud" O lineman out the draft.

Hope you are reading this Rick!!!!

ps. After viewing the results from the poll on this site about who the fins should select i see alot of you are still on the Rivers band waggon. That is sad and shows that you are not intuned with the goals and direction this team is headed.

Well here is your wake up call...WAKE UP...even if he is available he will not be drafted (thank goodness for that) and quite frankly you just wasted your vote on him.

Originally posted by DolFinatic718

Hey thanks BostonBomber

"Two NFL personnel men from the AFC recently said Miami's work along the offensive line is commendable for its intentions but unlikely to yield great change unless further additions are made.

The Dolphins know more work must be done, but Spielman points out the offseason isn't over while still defending his acquisition of St. Clair and McIntosh."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiheral...ail.com&KRD_RM=1iqpimnmnlophhhhhhhhihjmkn|j|Y&is_rd=Y

I think Smiley or Andrews is that addiational piece we need to make all of these offseason aqcuisitions stick. I mean to be able to look at the OL across the board and be able to say "Wow this O Line is much improved over last years" we must sign one of these two players. Hands down.

Adding another FA O linemen for depth or inusrance like Solomon or Randal is still cool with me but that still doesnt change the fact we need a young "stud" O lineman out the draft.

Hope you are reading this Rick!!!!

ps. After viewing the results from the poll on this site about who the fins should select i see alot of you are still on the Rivers band waggon. That is sad and shows that you are not intuned with the goals and direction this team is headed.

Well here is your wake up call...WAKE UP...even if he is available he will not be drafted (thank goodness for that) and quite frankly you just wasted your vote on him.

What's with the arrogance? YOU may think we need to pick up OL in this draft, when the fact is it's just your opinion. Your not any more in tune with this team than Me or any other poster on this board (outside of boomer, he's sick with that ****).

You say we "wasted" our vote on Rivers? You say we need OL, yet not QB?.....hmm....OPINIONS. What have we done at OL that we haven't done at QB htis offseason? We brought in young talent, while purging known failures. Yet you think we're set at QB?

Tell me, what is the direction of this team since your so in tune with it? I was under the impression that we were building young budding football team here. Well, we have a young WR, a young RB, a young TE, a young Tackle...hmm...we're missing a young QB that we know can compete consistenly at the pro level........

And what makes you think andrews will be a stud? He could be a flop, we already brought in young "potential" at the OL position, and guess what? IT DIDN'T COST US ANY DRAFT PICKS. If we pick up Randall, we have FIVE former starters on the OL, at the QB situation we have ONE.

I'm glad you have so much faith in yourself that you think your above all others that don't approve of going OL in the first. And I'm glad you known looking across the table that you know Grove or Andrews is the answer to our OL prayers :rolleyes:. Funny though, you've never been at a table across from Grove and Andrews, nor will you ever be in the position to make that kind of decision.

I accept that you want to take OL in the first, and have your reasons. But when it boils down to it, your just another pretender GM like the rest of us. The difference is your telling other people their flat out wrong with absolutely NO basis for your stance. Oh well, if youc an live with it, i can too.

The bottom line is, some of us still aren't satisfied with our current crop of QBs. We'd feel a little more comfortable with another arm in the mix.

Our chances of finding another arm outside of the first round are slim to none, so if you're okay with what we've got at the QB spot then you're not going to agree with those of us that are not satisfied yet.

Believe it or not, the reality is that we won't have another chance to get a legitimate quality arm outside of the draft. Teams just don't release good QB's. They horde them because there is a scarcity. Economics 101. The same cannot be said for Olinemen, of which there will be a plethora of following June 1 and several solid candidates outside of round 1 (Grove, Dorsey, Pape, Snee etc.).

Just looking at percentages and what we're likely to fill, we should look hard at QB. We're not saying you have to take one, but should a good one like Rivers drop you need to look long and hard at it. Losman is also a consideration.

We've settled the safety position, so at least grant us that QB is indeed a need and one of three giant needs on the team - starting right guard and tackle being the other two.

How can u say finatic has no basis for his stance??? What more basis do u need then last year! If u think Randall will make our o-line in to what it NEEDS to be ur mistaken. Remember, this team lives and dies with its running game.

Don't try calling me a pretender GM either, I am debating about the team I love on the best website to do it at. Thers nothing wrong with healthy heated debates. Its part of what this site is all about. Anyone disagree??

I respect everyones opinion on this board, if I disagree with you im going to let u know and we can go back and forth.

Also, if I agree with u, I will let u know.

I think your stance is way off base graythreat, and if rick goes ur way(he won't imo) were in for a flash back of last season.

Originally posted by Graythreat

What's with the arrogance? YOU may think we need to pick up OL in this draft, when the fact is it's just your opinion. Your not any more in tune with this team than Me or any other poster on this board (outside of boomer, he's sick with that ****).

You say we "wasted" our vote on Rivers? You say we need OL, yet not QB?.....hmm....OPINIONS. What have we done at OL that we haven't done at QB htis offseason? We brought in young talent, while purging known failures. Yet you think we're set at QB?

Tell me, what is the direction of this team since your so in tune with it? I was under the impression that we were building young budding football team here. Well, we have a young WR, a young RB, a young TE, a young Tackle...hmm...we're missing a young QB that we know can compete consistenly at the pro level........

And what makes you think andrews will be a stud? He could be a flop, we already brought in young "potential" at the OL position, and guess what? IT DIDN'T COST US ANY DRAFT PICKS. If we pick up Randall, we have FIVE former starters on the OL, at the QB situation we have ONE.

I'm glad you have so much faith in yourself that you think your above all others that don't approve of going OL in the first. And I'm glad you known looking across the table that you know Grove or Andrews is the answer to our OL prayers :rolleyes:. Funny though, you've never been at a table across from Grove and Andrews, nor will you ever be in the position to make that kind of decision.

I accept that you want to take OL in the first, and have your reasons. But when it boils down to it, your just another pretender GM like the rest of us. The difference is your telling other people their flat out wrong with absolutely NO basis for your stance. Oh well, if youc an live with it, i can too.

I see I offended someone and quite frankly I'm glad because that was my intentions!

Now I am not saying that I am more intuned then anybody on this board when it comes to this team, but how stupid must you be to still be wanting to select Rivers with our 20th pick?

There were only about what, 1,2,3,4, o I dont know maybe 5 articles written stating how we will not address a qb in the early rounds!!!!! How much more info do you need that a Qb is not a top priority no more? Whether you feel it is or isnt it is not your position just like its not mines to say we should select Rivers. But unlike you, I have the real GM on my side because he himself stated they would not select a QB in the early rounds.

So go ahead and vote Rivers all you like, like i said all you did was waste a vote.

Now you said alot of things and all you did quite frankly was put your foot in your mouth.

1."You say we need OL, yet not QB?.....hmm....OPINIONS." Opinions? check out the latest articles about the fins not one is about selecting a QB in the draft. Yea I guess i'm the only one with the opinion we will go OL in the draft.

2."Yet you think we're set at QB?" Once again whether i think we are set at QB or not, the direction that the team is going is that we will not select a QB in the early rounds. I quite frankly dont think we have to either. (Not to mention Rivers will most likely be gone)

3."Tell me, what is the direction of this team since your so in tune with it?" Easiest question i've been asked all day!!!

The team is trying to fix a offensive line that had our pass offense ranked 26th in the league. A offensive line that had Ricky williams who a year earlier almost racked up 2000 yrds barely get over 1000 yards.

The team feels set with the current Wr's we have though a WR at the 20th pick may happen, though i doubt it.

The team has already spent a 2nd rounder on its QB so dont look for that in the first round either.

does that answer your question fella?

4."we're missing a young QB that we know can compete consistenly at the pro level........" Ok feeley is young and yes he may be unproven, but so is Rivers. Rivers is not a sure shot starter in the NFL. Look around even sure shot 1st round 1 pick QB's ride the pine for a year or 2. ATleast feeley has already did this and has played in NFL games already.

5."And I'm glad you known looking across the table that you know Grove or Andrews is the answer to our OL prayers :rolleyes:. Funny though, you've never been at a table across from Grove and Andrews, nor will you ever be in the position to make that kind of decision." Ok I said if you want to look at our OL from last year and the one that will be starting this yr and if you want to be able to say we improved we need to select Andrews or Smiley, not grove. Quite frankly i dont want to sit at any table with Andrews and gove, Smiley too for that matter.

6."The difference is your telling other people their flat out wrong with absolutely NO basis for your stance" And this is the 6th and last thing that came out your mouth that you were wrong about. With the direction that this team is going if you think we will select a QB by the name of Rivers if he is available with our 20th pick you are wrong. And the basis i am claiming that on is our very own FO and the actions they have performed. Rick himself said so, Wayne himself has backed feeley.

I'm not the smartest guy on this site, not by a long shot, i'm not the most informed about this team on this board either, but i'm not stupid either. And everything is pointing to us selecting either a OL or a Wr with our 20th pick. I'm sorry if you disagree but look around, all the evidence is already there.

We will all see come draft day, and you can comeback and kiss my feet after all is said and done.

Again, we have made our decision regarding qb(feeley), if we do pick a rookie he won't start.(We are still trying to win the SB this season right?) How are we going to win the SB, not by taking a qb, rather an o-linemen. Im getting tired of talkin about qbs u guys must really have it in for feeley, damn. By almost all accounts he will be a solid qb, and thats just what we need. We also need a solid line wich we don't have! By waiting till june 1st to fill the gapes ur takin a huge risk(kinda like how we got burned last year right?) Why don't u go look at the post I started a couple min. ago. It will break it down for u RW.

Sorry RW but if we pass on o-line @ 20 we dont have a pick in the 2nd! There will be no one who can come in and possibly start and be solid wich is what we need!

718, gotta give u props man. Nice post, think were on the same page,i think rick is to, can't wait till draft day!

Bomber,

I read your post. I just disagree. That's it. I don't think Feely will be a bust and you're right the chances are that the rookie will not start. The point is, we get him in the system now in case something happens to Feely or Feely doesn't play well. You need two good QBs on the roster. Period. Of course you could luck your way through the year with one good QB (read New England and Tom Brady), but come on, how lucky have we been the last three years?

As far as the Oline situation, we're not in horrible shape and we will sign two, maybe three more players who can start. If we draft one of the top tackles in the third round (Dorsey or Pape) sign a solid tackle who can back up until McIntosh comes back (Randall or Page) and then bring in Jamie Nails we'll be in good shape. If we can't get that plan to work, then there will be about a dozen quality linemen on the wire, maybe more.

What happens if Smiley and ANdrews are off the board? Then your only starting caliber linemen are gone. DOes that mean we're screwed for next year and we can't make the superbowl? Of course not.

I see your point I just disagree. Only time will tell who was right on this one.

This board is starting to get very divided here. It seems like if I don;t agree with some one else then I'm stupid. I think everyone has a right to their opinion but no need for name calling. We're all in the same bnoat here, wanting a superbowl.

Ozzy rules!!

nice post rw, but we will have a very solid BackUP not Starter but backup in fiedler. I will give him credited, hes one of those players that can come off the bench and give a spark, but hes not solid and consistent, wich imo feeley will be. ImO and i think alot of people will agree we will have one of the better backups in the league with fiedler.

sorry rw but we will not be in a position to draft one of the top tackles in the third "Dorsey or Pape", please. Im mainly intrested in Andrews or Smiley then carey,snee or grove. I believe these players will have a positive impact on our o-line this season, especially andrews or smiley.
Again, we are trying to win a superbowl, not rebuild by drafting a rookie qb with our 1st pick. If u want to groom a qb, lets pick up harris or one of the others(imo harris) in the later rounds. Risks, but have huge potential and we will only be giving up a mid to late pick. Remember, feeley is only 26 he is young and has good upside, its not like we have an aging banged up qb, this kid is ready to prove himself.
I dont have a problem going after more o-line depth in fa, I hope we do. Doesn't mean we have to pass up andrews or smiley. Those are the only two I would pick with 20th, maybe carey. I would want to trade down if they are gone and pick o-line wr/dt?/de?/lb? all depends whos available.

Bye the way, are o-line is in pretty bad shape, u know that as well as I do.

Back
Top Bottom