The 2 Players it should come down to that we draft!!!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2 Players it should come down to that we draft!!!!

Originally posted by Danny
This board is starting to get very divided here. It seems like if I don;t agree with some one else then I'm stupid. I think everyone has a right to their opinion but no need for name calling. We're all in the same bnoat here, wanting a superbowl.
Ozzy rules!!

Well said.....

I really hope we can get back to a more civil Board. It started in the off season with alot of bad mouthing the FO and coaches.....now its moving into Dolfans attacking Dolfans.

Originally posted by Graythreat

2. According to all reports, Rivers, Roth, and Eli are in dead heats for the #1 QB in the draft. And besides the point, your saying we should pass on Rivers because he's not the highest rated QB in the draft.....news flash...Andrews isn't the highest rated OL in the draft either buddy.

3. Our problems were with OL AND QB. We have potential at OL, if we get Randall, we'll have 5 starting material OL on our roster, with depth. Something we're sorely lacking at QB. A proven bust, a 3rd string that our FO doesn't want to give a chance, and a 3rd stringer that's started all of 5 games in 3 years. The OL was bad, but the OL didn't over and under throw our receivers last year.

5. Did you just rule that all draft picks have to be an immediate starter on the teams that draft them? History shows it's better to groom players in. FA is used for getting starters buddy, the Draft is a means of getting players for the FUTURE.

6. Any starting OL is better than Andrews or smiley, because they've proven they have what it takes to play in the NFL. Andrews or Smily could end up being a bust, both have questionable talent, and are greatly benefiting in their rankings because this year is shallow in OL. Any other year, Andrews is a low first, early 2nd, Smiley is a mid to late 2nd.

8. It's questionable if the majority agrees with you or not

9. Your right, it's your opinion, but this board doesn't allow personal attacks. You calling people stupid for what they believe in is a personal attack. Your supposed to substanciate your claims with facts. You have OPINIONS. I've read some very good arguments for drafting OL high in this years draft, none of which were made by you. Try doing a little research, and come back with solid ground to stand on rather than weak opinion's, and we might take you seriously.

I always chuckle when I hear people talk about drafting an OL with the thought that its a sure thing starter to draft them. At pick 20 overall, there is No sure thing starter in most drafts, even one as deep as this one. Andrews may not even be on the board, and everyone else after him is considered a reach at 20 overall.

Even if Andrews is there, he is no sure thing. Great prospect, YES.....sure thing...NO.

I hope we draft the best player on the board at 20. If we are set on an OL I think we should trade back and pickup another pick. I want value for our pick. Not a need reach pick.

I also wonder why alot of DOLFANS have no problem handing a QB that has never started our QB job after a season that he didn't even play, yet they don't think we could address our OL needs the same way? Couldnt we Draft Rivers and improve our QB competition and future and address the OL round 3 or in an OGUN trade?

Our QB position has really hurt us, as has our OL and WR. Both have to improve for us to move forward. I want to draft the best player on the board at QB, OL, or WR.

I see that making us better.

Originally posted by DolFinatic718
Rivers is not in a class with Manning dont kid yourself buddy. Rivers and Roth may be closer but thats about it.

Unfortunately QB is a done deal for this team. But Across the Oline the only for sure starter at this very moment seems to be Smith, anyone disagree with that? If rivers was drafted how many think he would start the first game? If Andrews or Smiley was picked how many of you think they would start the first game? Thats what i thought.

While I disagree with your thoughts, I appreciate the post. I think your ideas really reflect how the Dolfans feel that are in the "We have to draft OL" camp.

Whether or not Rivers is better or worse that Roth or Eli will remain to be seen. Most the FO people seem to think it goes Manning, Roth, Rivers from what I've seen. In that order. But Rivers does have some teams (like SD, etc) as being so close to the top two that its worth trading down for him and another player.

Most Dolfans that see QB as a "done deal" feel that the Feeley trade makes drafting Rivers (even at 20) a dumb move. I dont see it that way at all. I hope the best for Feeley. But there are a number of things in my mind that make him far from a sure thing.

- Can he even beat out Jay Fiedler? This time last year not many people would have argued that Feeley was a better QB than Fiedler. What has changed since last year other than we traded fore him? Feeley didn't even play last year. How has he PROVEN anything? I don't understand the reasoning here. I hope he's an upgrade, but I think the QB position is far too important to risk on an unproven player. Like it or not, Feeley is far from a sure thing.

- Is Feeley our best option and is he worth a 2nd rounder next year? I think it can be argued that Rivers is a better choice as our future QB (or immediate) than Feeley. Look over their careers and what the Pro's at evaluation are saying. A very high % of them think Rivers is a Franchise QB. Who is saying that about Feeley?
As for Feeley value, We traded a 3rd round pick (in value) for him. A young, quality backup or potential starter is well worth a 3rd round pick. Even if Feeley doesn't start, but offers us an upgrade at backup QB he is well worth the 3rd round value we lost to get him. How many games have our backup QB's cost us over the last 2-3 seasons? Too many IMO. As many as our OL IMO as well.

Again, I want the highest rated player on offense on the board. If its a WR that slides, grab him. If It's Rivers, grab him, If it's Andrews, grab him. If they all slide, then the FO has to make the call. But I think Dolfans are misguided to think our QB situation is settled and that we will hand our starting job to an QB that didn't play last year if a potential franchise QB is sitting at pick 20 overall. We can always address the OL with other picks or trades.

If we can hand the starting QB job to an unproven player that didn't play last year then why not do the same with an RT and Draft a Franchise QB? We never have the opportunity (and may not this year as well) to draft a potential Franchise QB where we tend to draft. If one falls to us at 20 overall, thats too rare to pass on for any position IMO.

To me it's all about value....not need....because we need both positions upgraded. There's nothing stupid about drafting either way. As long as we get value for our pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Page is signed, that changes things in my mind....With Page, you have a starting caliber G or T. That fills in the holes in the OL....Smith needs to improve, yes, but only time will tell with that....when McI comes back, he can then either be the b/u for the rest of the year, provided Smith and St. Clair are doing ok, or he can assume one of those spots...Now for the draft....
Assuming we sign Page. we probably won't go OL in the first....not at all....Now all bets are off...

Originally posted by LarryFinFan
If Page is signed, that changes things in my mind....With Page, you have a starting caliber G or T. That fills in the holes in the OL....Smith needs to improve, yes, but only time will tell with that....when McI comes back, he can then either be the b/u for the rest of the year, provided Smith and St. Clair are doing ok, or he can assume one of those spots...Now for the draft....
Assuming we sign Page. we probably won't go OL in the first....not at all....Now all bets are off...

All of the attention our FO is paying to signing FA OL sends the signal that we have other plans for our first rounder IMO. Andrews would be great at 20 but I doubt he'll last that long. It could be argued that every team that picks between 6 and 19 could use an OL like Andrews at OG or OT. Someone will likely grab him in 11-19 range.

The Boston trade makes WR less of an urgent need as well. I feel great about the fact that we can take the best player available in round 1. I just hope its WR, QB, or OL.

Originally posted by DolFinatic718

Since it seems this reply is directed towards me i will respond. Having a different opinion is not stupid at all, but saying this team should address an area with a certain player who most likely will not even be available is not exactly the brightest thing to do. Thats all i'm saying. We need a safety but you dont see people going crazy and writing threads and band waggons for Sean Taylor now do you? Not to mention he wont even be available for us to draft, but lets say he was, should we pick him up?

I think that is the case with Rivers, but only different. Rivers is not even the highest rated QB in the draft, may not even be the 2nd best QB in the draft. From mock drafts he is slated to be picked 3rd among QB's

Yet on the other hand we have the chance to take the 2nd best OL in all of the draft. How can you argue that with the way last season went?

almost all of our loses with the exception of 1 or 2 losses were because of our O line, how do you not address it to the point that you can't address it no more?

If Rivers is selected it will be a wasted first round pick for this years roster because he will not start. Same pretty much goes for if we pick a WR. Yes that WR may be our starting 3rd string reciever, but with this team running 2 WR set formations that WR will rarely see the playing field. Thats another wasted pick this year. But the only position in the draft where we can select a stud that can come in and from day one start is OL.

Why is that so hard to see? Who will be cut that will be better then Andrews or Smiley? If they are they will be alot older!! And like Rick said if we are going to spend money on any players they will be younger and faster!! READ THE ARTICLE YOURSELF IF YOU THINK I'M LYING.

This all points to drafting a stud OL in the draft, why will some of you still argue with me and those with the opinion to draft a OL with our 20th pick?

Yes your opinion may not be stupid but the smartest thing this team can do is draft a OL and in my opinion anything other then that is stupid!!

I know everyone will not agree with me, but if the majority do then thats all i need.
It wasn't directed at you at all. I agree with you that we should draft o-line with our first pick.I want Smiley or Andrews or even Snee so as you can see, it wasn't directed at you at all.

Ozzy rules!!

Two NFL personnel men from the AFC recently said Miami's work along the offensive line is commendable for its intentions but unlikely to yield great change unless further additions are made.

From the Herald today.....

Could it also mean that we could tade down, get more picks, and get my man Grove. Cause if it does i am all for it! Dolfanreal69

Originally posted by Danny

It wasn't directed at you at all. I agree with you that we should draft o-line with our first pick.I want Smiley or Andrews or even Snee so as you can see, it wasn't directed at you at all.

Ozzy rules!!

I like this idea if Rivers, Andrews, and the top WR's are gone. But I hope if we do it that we trade back and pick up a pick, then draft one of them. Grabbing one of them at 20 is a reach IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by inFINSible
Quote:
Two NFL personnel men from the AFC recently said Miami's work along the offensive line is commendable for its intentions but unlikely to yield great change unless further additions are made.

From the Herald today.....

I think the same could be said about our QB situation

I think we will trade out of the 20th spot. I think we will draft a guard in the 2nd round. One of these will be available if we don't move down too far:

- Andrews (I think Miami would play him at guard)
- Smiley
- Snee
- Carey
- Grove (and move McKinney to RG)

I think Miami wants to draft a LB this year. If they can get 3 day one picks, I believe they will use one on a guard, one on a LB, and one on a WR. DT is another strong possibility.

Back
Top Bottom