The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread

GreenMonster said:
Speaking of seats, how are the new Monster seats and the new plaza in RF. I haven't seen either of these 2 additions, can't wait to get up there. The Skybar at Turner Field is one of the best spots to casually check out a game.

Both unbelievable. I sat in the Monster seats in 2004 for an August game vs. the Angels when Schilling pitched. Manny put two balls into the seats. If you can get seats there to watch a game, you better go its a great experience (except during batting practice when Troy Glaus nearly killed 4 people with line drive home runs).

The only negative with the Monster seats is that you can't see a ball hit off the Monster or anything from the warning track to the wall. Other than that great seats.

GreenMonster said:
Speaking of seats, how are the new Monster seats and the new plaza in RF. I haven't seen either of these 2 additions, can't wait to get up there. The Skybar at Turner Field is one of the best spots to casually check out a game.

The Monster seats are a nice experience, but they are overrated. Unless you are lucky enough to sit in the first row (there are 3 rows) then your view is pretty obstructed. You can't see ANY of Leftfield, not just the wall. I've been up there 2 times since their creation and I don't plan on sitting up there again, the view isn't worth the trouble of trying to find the tickets. (And the food is different up on the Monster than it is throughout the rest of the park. No Fenway Franks, they sell some Monster Dog garbage.)

The Right Field Roof seats on the other hand are BEAUTIFUL. Because they are set a good distance behind the right field wall you can see the whole field and you get a pretty unique view of Fenway. Standing room tickets up there are relatively easy to get if you are willing to show up to Fenway about 4-5 hours prior to the ticket office opening. They have their own concession stand that is seperate from all the other sections, which means limited waiting time for food and bathrooms. Not to mention the bar there is nicely equipped with TV's available showing key replays.

Of course both are pricey, you'll drop 30+ bucks for standing room on the Right Field Roof, but for my money, it's alot nicer than sitting on the Monster.

Cleveland apparent wants Marte, Mota, Shoppach AND Manny Delcarmen now. The Sox said no. Good thing. It appears that Crisp might not be coming to Boston.

Jay Payton, who is now available, anyone?

Whats up with the Sox not evening giving Mota a physical when they traded for him. Aren't these things standard, especially for guys with shoulder problems.

FaninPatsyLand said:
The Monster seats are a nice experience, but they are overrated. Unless you are lucky enough to sit in the first row (there are 3 rows) then your view is pretty obstructed. You can't see ANY of Leftfield, not just the wall. I've been up there 2 times since their creation and I don't plan on sitting up there again, the view isn't worth the trouble of trying to find the tickets. (And the food is different up on the Monster than it is throughout the rest of the park. No Fenway Franks, they sell some Monster Dog garbage.)

The Right Field Roof seats on the other hand are BEAUTIFUL. Because they are set a good distance behind the right field wall you can see the whole field and you get a pretty unique view of Fenway. Standing room tickets up there are relatively easy to get if you are willing to show up to Fenway about 4-5 hours prior to the ticket office opening. They have their own concession stand that is seperate from all the other sections, which means limited waiting time for food and bathrooms. Not to mention the bar there is nicely equipped with TV's available showing key replays.

Of course both are pricey, you'll drop 30+ bucks for standing room on the Right Field Roof, but for my money, it's alot nicer than sitting on the Monster.

the .406 club is great. I wouldn't be jumping up and down right now if I was a sox fan, they have alot of holes to fill.

MKeveny said:
I wouldn't be jumping up and down right now if I was a sox fan, they have alot of holes to fill.

Welcome to our thread... Thanks for the thrilling insight....

See, that's the difference between us and you... we jump up and down even when we aren't within 50% of your payroll, holes or otherwise... because we enjoy baseball, Fenway, and the Red Sox...

Do you guys even show up unless you've outspent the league by 40%??

GreenMonster said:
Whats up with the Sox not evening giving Mota a physical when they traded for him. Aren't these things standard, especially for guys with shoulder problems.

Apparently from reports the Sox checked Mota's MRI done at the end of the year and used that instead of their own physical. Strange I agree.

Also for what its worth Mota's agent is claiming that the report of Mota failing is 100% false. So who knows.

MKeveny said:
the .406 club is great. I wouldn't be jumping up and down right now if I was a sox fan, they have alot of holes to fill.

The .406 club sucked, there's a reason why they tore it down this offseason. It was like trying to watch a baseball game in a classy restaurant. Fans didn't feel connected to the game with the huge glass panels in front of them.

As for the rest of your post, we know the Sox have holes to fill, thank you very much captain obvious.

I see yous guys recognized steinbrenner in my sig...

1918, 1918, 1918, 1918. :)

Ray Finkle said:
Cleveland apparent wants Marte, Mota, Shoppach AND Manny Delcarmen now. The Sox said no. Good thing. It appears that Crisp might not be coming to Boston.

Jay Payton, who is now available, anyone?

The ******* Indians are trying to play hardball now. If the Red Sox throw Manny into this deal, I'm gonna be pissed. Apparently, the Sox have turned their attention to the Reds in an attempt to acquire Kearns. I'd throw another prospect into a deal that includes Clement, or just pay part of Matt's remaining deal in order to pry Kearns from Cincinnatti. Then of course, we'd turn around and deal Kearns to Cleveland for Crisp and Riske..

It would be a hell of alot cheaper than a straight up deal between the Red Sox and Indians. And we'd get to keep Marte, I think that would be the best of both worlds.

MKeveny said:
1918, 1918, 1918, 1918. :)

MKeveny did you block 2004 out of your mind?

Anyway good luck this year with your team. Hopefully we won't hate each other by June. No promises though ;)

Ray Finkle said:
Apparently from reports the Sox checked Mota's MRI done at the end of the year and used that instead of their own physical. Strange I agree.

Also for what its worth Mota's agent is claiming that the report of Mota failing is 100% false. So who knows.

Mota and his agent now say that he passed the Indians physical but the Indians had enough questions to turn down the deal as currently constructed, meaning the greedy Shapiro would like Delcarmen also. As far I am I concerned they can have Marte and Shoppach for Crisp straight up, nothing more... I would love to pawn some Clement on the Reds in any deal that brings us back the pieces to get Crisp..

Ray Finkle said:
With February 18th (Pitchers & Catchers report) exactly 27 days away I think it's about time we start up the annual and official 2006 Boston Red Sox thread. So from now on all Red Sox news/rumors/game discussions will be here for everyone and anyone wanting to chat.

(Cue Harry Doyle from the Major League movies)

Welcome back Red Sox Nation, the team has tons of new faces since we last saw them in October. No more Cowboy Uping, Kevin Millar or endless nights of seeing Edgar Renteria boot balls. Yes Manny Ramirez is still on the team (surprise surprise).....for now. MVP-Runner up David Ortiz aka Big Papi, not to be confused with the Poppy Seed Bagel at your local Dunkin' Donuts shop, is looking to put up another MVP season. Curt Schilling's ankle pain as well as his beer gut are also gone and he's looking to rebound. Speaking of rebounding, Keith Foulke hopefully has his knees and personal life back in shape. Theo is back, but he never left so we'll just move on.

Some of the new faces on this years team: 25 year old stud pitcher and former 2003 World Series MVP Josh Beckett is here in Boston and hopefully left his blisters behind in Miami. Mike Lowell will be your 2006 Comeback Player of the Year, you heard it hear first and he'll be the first player since 2004 to win the award in the AL who wasn't found taking steriods. Mark Loretta is another new addition and your starting 2nd basemen. Another new addition to the team and Boston Anger Management meetings, Juilian Tarveras who's making his first trip back to Boston since he gave up the game winning home run to Mark Bellhorn (remember him Sox fans?) in the 2004 World Series. But give Tarveras credit at least he didn't punch anything or anyone after that pitch.

Of course any day now the Red Sox could have a new CFer: Covelli Loyce Crisp, nickname Coco. Coco replaces popular Johnny Damon in CF. Coco is not only younger and cheaper than Damon but the new ownership is happy because since Crisp is bald he won't cost Henry and company extra money on electricity for using a hair dryer. Alex Gonzalez, SS, could also be on the team. The most common answer from Sox fans after hearing that is: hey at least he's not Edgar Renteria.

Important dates to remember:
February 23rd- First Full-squad workout
April 3rd- Season opener at Texas
April 11th- Home opener vs. Toronto

Projected Line Up:
CF- Crisp
2B- Loretta
DH- Ortiz
LF- Manny
3B-Lowell
C- Varitek
RF- Nixon
1B- J.T. Snow/Kevin Youkilis
SS- Cora/Gonzalez/Tony Graffinano

Projected Rotation and Pen:
SP:
Schilling
Wakefield
Beckett
Wells
Clement
Arroyo (Pen likely)
Papelbon (Pen likely)

RP:
Tarveras
Timlin
Mota (or Riske depending on what happens)
Saenez
Foulke

Personally I think this team is pretty good up and down, especially if the Crisp deal goes through. Their rotation and pen (if healthy) is very good and deep. If Schilling and Beckett can make 30 starts each and Foulke is back to 2004 form I don't see any reason why the team won't make the playoffs or even win the AL East.

27 days.... 27 days.... thank god it's almost here.

I think the BoSox need to improve there pitching staff. I don't know much about the situation but does Wells still want out? Josh Beckett can be a huge pickup for the BoSox, if he can avoid getting blisters pitching. The BoSox have alot of question marks, but if Schilling comes back healthy and Beckett is not on IR half the year with a blister they can contend. I'm a ChiSox fan, but after watching McCarthy in September, he would be the BoSox number 3, IMO, and he might be out of the rotation in Chicago, unless they go with a 6 man.

djfresh47 said:
I think the BoSox need to improve there pitching staff. I don't know much about the situation but does Wells still want out? Josh Beckett can be a huge pickup for the BoSox, if he can avoid getting blisters pitching. The BoSox have alot of question marks, but if Schilling comes back healthy and Beckett is not on IR half the year with a blister they can contend. I'm a ChiSox fan, but after watching McCarthy in September, he would be the BoSox number 3, IMO, and he might be out of the rotation in Chicago, unless they go with a 6 man.

If the Red Sox pitching staff can stay healthy I think they will be tough to beat. With or without Wells. Last I heard he said he'd stay however his agent came out later in the day that he still wanted out so who knows.

About contending think of it this way the Sox made the playoffs and had over 90 wins without Foulke and Schilling healthy or good the whole year. Yes their pitching was terrible last year but they still made the playoffs. This off season the Sox, IMO, added a lot of pen depth and the Beckett move helped out the rotation big time. Papelbon will be the Sox x-factor this year. Whether he's in the rotation or in the pen I think the kid is going to have a huge year.

P.S. After seeing McCarthy pitch last year I think the kid has a big future too. Last I read he's going to pitch middle relief for the ChiSox unless one of their starters gets hurt.

i was wondering what anyone predicts if Papelbon, lester or hansen will do anythign this year? are they worth taking flyer on in a deep fantasy keeper draft?

Back
Top Bottom