The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 66 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread

Ray Finkle said:
As Clark Kent said congrats to Curt Schilling on win number 200!

Now a question to Red Sox fans: obviously he isn't going anywhere this year but does Papelbon stay on as Sox closer in 2007 and beyond or do you move him back into the rotation?

My answer would be to see what Hansen brings as a starter and then decide from there.

I would keep him as a closer...he has already said he would be perfectly happy being the permanent closer for his career. It's not like he's going Armondo Benitez on the field either...the kid is doing great.

Rocky Raccoon said:
I would keep him as a closer...he has already said he would be perfectly happy being the permanent closer for his career. It's not like he's going Armondo Benitez on the field either...the kid is doing great.

Very true however does he have more value to bring as a starter? After all I think it's harder to find good starting pitchers, especially young proven ones.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good problem to have.

Update on Coco, he could back as early as tomorrow but he'll be back Monday at the latest! Get news can't wait to see him back.

Ray Finkle said:
Very true however does he have more value to bring as a starter? After all I think it's harder to find good starting pitchers, especially young proven ones.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good problem to have.

true...maybe he does bring more value as a starter. But he may also bring less. I am a firm believer in staying with what works. Boston could have themsleves a Mariano Riveria for the next 10 years. Everything else is just a question mark. Solid closers don't come easy these days.

Rocky Raccoon said:
true...maybe he does bring more value as a starter. But he may also bring less. I am a firm believer in staying with what works. Boston could have themsleves a Mariano Riveria for the next 10 years. Everything else is just a question mark. Solid closers don't come easy these days.

Very true and as long as Papelbon is happy with the role I guess you stick with him. Hopefully Hansen will be pretty good MLB starter then.

Ray Finkle said:
Very true and as long as Papelbon is happy with the role I guess you stick with him. Hopefully Hansen will be pretty good MLB starter then.

is Hansen in their system just to become a closer? Because that is where everyone seems to think he will end up.

Rocky Raccoon said:
is Hansen in their system just to become a closer? Because that is where everyone seems to think he will end up.

Hansen was drafted last year out of St. John's where he was a dominating closer. He has great stuff and was pretty good for the Sox in his brief call up last year. Everyone just expected/assumed him to be the closer because he was one in college (much like Papelbon was at Mississippi State).

The reason why the Sox made him a starter this year was because they believe that to be a good closer you have to be a starter first so you learn to throw all your pitches.

Ray Finkle said:
Hansen was drafted last year out of St. John's where he was a dominating closer. He has great stuff and was pretty good for the Sox in his brief call up last year. Everyone just expected/assumed him to be the closer because he was one in college (much like Papelbon was at Mississippi State).

The reason why the Sox made him a starter this year was because they believe that to be a good closer you have to be a starter first so you learn to throw all your pitches.

ahh I see

thanks for the info bro :wink:

Rocky Raccoon said:
ahh I see

thanks for the info bro :wink:

Not a problem. I know you want to join Red Sox Nation, so why don't you just make it official and buy a Beckett, Ortiz, Ramirez, Schilling or Papelbon jeresy?

We'll let you in with open arms.

Ray Finkle said:
Not a problem. I know you want to join Red Sox Nation, so why don't you just make it official and buy a Beckett, Ortiz, Ramirez, Schilling or Papelbon jeresy?

We'll let you in with open arms.
:lol:

if baseball jerseys weren't so damn expensive I would

I told my mom to try and get me tickets to make my first trip to Fenway on August 12th when the play Baltimore :wink:

Rocky Raccoon said:
:lol:

if baseball jerseys weren't so damn expensive I would

I told my mom to try and get me tickets to make my first trip to Fenway on August 12th when the play Baltimore :wink:

Very true, ok how about a t-shirt then?

Good luck with getting tickets man. I actually just got tickets off of stubhub for July 16th vs. Oakland. I'm praying to God for a Beckett/Harden match up.

Ray Finkle said:
Very true, ok how about a t-shirt then?

Good luck with getting tickets man. I actually just got tickets off of stubhub for July 16th vs. Oakland. I'm praying to God for a Beckett/Harden match up.

that would be sweet...2 young studs

Ray Finkle said:
Update on Coco, he could back as early as tomorrow but he'll be back Monday at the latest! Get news can't wait to see him back.

He is gonna play for the Paw Sox again today and will be back with the team monday. He has gone 2-6 so far with a HR, in his rehab play.. With him at the top of the order our 1-8 hitters are gonna be sick.. We now have some nice options off the bench also..

GreenMonster said:
He is gonna play for the Paw Sox again today and will be back with the team monday. He has gone 2-6 so far with a HR, in his rehab play.. With him at the top of the order our 1-8 hitters are gonna be sick.. We now have some nice options off the bench also..

According to the Sox official website he's going to play today!

Here's a link:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Back
Top Bottom