The 2019 Plan | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2019 Plan

Harris can go. He hasn't even shown a spark let alone a fire. No way does he suddenly become a solid player for another team. 2 seasons is enough for me.
Don’t agree. Harris is not a fit as a 4-3 DE, but a good fit as a 3-4 OLB which he played productively in college. He’s young so he will be given another chance. The dead wood, older players and big contracts will all be gone IMO. If that’s tanking I’m all for it. Here’s the new philosophy as far as I can tell. Trade away as much as you can for picks this yr to rebuild both lines, find young FA gems, then draft your franchise QB next year.

Is tanking even a serious option? Is a new coaching team gonna be prepared to do that? Are players gonna be happy writing off one of the few seasons they get to play in the NFL? Isn't there a chance that good young players like X, minkah, tunsil could regress and have a negative effect on them in the long run?
I don't think the coaches look at it like that. That perspective is one of a fan, and perhaps the sales department.

When new management comes into a floundering corporation, they do so with their eyes open to reality. They assess the situation, formulate a course of action, then implement that plan.

They already realize there are low expectations for immediate results. They also realize that, following next year, quick progress will be expected. Next season is about laying groundwork for future success.

As far as the players, no player wants to be on a losing team. Being part of the solution can, in the long run, be more rewarding. They are well paid professionals. I expect them to prepare well, and play hard. No bio hoos AFAIC.

I think Sitton and James are contract decisions. Unless Sitton has too much dead cap to be expendable, I expect him to be let go. James is unlikely to be resigned. But who knows, there are always some surprises.
Sitton carries $2 million in dead money, I would keep him anyway. He's on the last year of his deal and while he is expensive for a guard($7 million), on a team that can cut $40 million without touching playmakers he won't hurt the cap. Also, with probable rookies starting at center and RG he can mentor both.
The only way I cut him is due to health/injury

Sitton carries $2 million in dead money, I would keep him anyway. He's on the last year of his deal and while he is expensive for a guard($7 million), on a team that can cut $40 million without touching playmakers he won't hurt the cap. Also, with probable rookies starting at center and RG he can mentor both.
That makes sense then, I wasn't sure what his cap numbers looked like. One year rental who can mentor, then re-assess depending upon his health and production.

I said this before; he's one guy I have a hard time cutting. He does save $5mm if cut for 2019, but I'm not sure that's relevant. If he can still provide excellent guard play in 2019, let's see what the kids have at QB.

I’m actually all for tanking. Rip it down and rebuild. It’s gonna take a QB and a lot of other draft picks to turn it around. It’s gonna suck for 3 years..... But...... Hopefully by 2022 we’re good again.

Might as well skip 2019 if this is the plan. Watch more as an aside than anything else.

Think I’ll watch any QB but Brock. Id rather watch somebody I know nothing about than Os. Of the guys we have on our roster Luke Falk I believe has the best college career, I’m rooting for him.

1. Released Ryan Tannehill
    (Saved: $13,188,332)
  2. Released Reshad Jones
    (Saved: $5,012,500)
  3. Released Robert Quinn
    (Saved: $12,932,332)
  4. Released DeVante Parker
    (Saved: $9,387,000)
  5. Released Andre Branch
    (Saved: $7,000,000)
  6. Released Kiko Alonso
    (Saved: $4,772,500)
  7. Released Josh Sitton
    (Saved: $5,000,000)
  8. Released Danny Amendola
    (Saved: $6,000,000)
  9. Released Akeem Spence
    (Saved: $2,500,000)
  10. Released Daniel Kilgore
    (Saved: $2,400,000)
  11. Released Ted Larsen
    (Saved: $1,875,000)
If their plan is to dump aging players that make too much money, this could be their way of starting over....

It won't be too hard to tank as you try to fill these spots with cheaper and younger players. This leaves us with $81M in cap space. Invest in sub-28 year old players in FA. Draft for value (highest paid positions first) in 2019.

Back
Top Bottom