The 4th Round selection should be a lock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 4th Round selection should be a lock

Jorser

Insider
Reaction score
to make the team. I don't see us "wasting" this all important, and only other selection thus far on any type of project player, or one at a position where there is significant other competition and the possibility he would be cut or put on the PS. Throw that out on the other picks, you can take projects and more risk with 5-7. There are good players available at any position of need. Breaking it down:

DB - Any player selected will be competing with Bell and Wooden, for 2 0f 3 spots, so one of those three would not make it. This is assuming that they sign only one other CB (T. Buck), not two. If they signed two CB's then either Bell or Wooden will get cut.

WR - I really want us to add a player here, personally. However, if they only carry 5 you are cutting two of Wilkins, Tolver, or Minnis. If they carry 6, then you are still cutting 1 of those 3. Losing Minnis would not be the end of the world, but I am not sure they would entertain carrying 6.

DT - When the FO made the comments pre draft about Whitley/Jerman being ready to compete, I thought it was a smokescreen and now obviously was not. They have made similar comments regarding the DL, with Romero, Tony Brown, and Nate Bolling. Adding a DT (I really think they should draft Matthias Askew) would mean one of these prospects including Romero is gone.

OL - One of the two spots I feel this selection will be. There is still not enough depth. If St. Clair loses the RT battle he becomes the swing 6th man. He would back up all spots. It leaves them thin at tackle and guard though, and especially center where DW was quoted yesterday the Billy Yates is the back up center " for now", which I thought was telling. Ruddy is the likely addition and would be fine by me. But adding one more lineman with the 4th pick would also make a lot of sense for depth purposes.

LB - This is my selection for today and Demorrio Williams is one of the two players I feel that they want. He may be gone by their selection. There is no one of significance on the roster to compete for the 6th LB spot. They may carry 7. Ayanbadejo is no more than a ST and would get killed if pressed in to a starting role due to injury. Brendan Givan? In NFLE and likely destined to the PS. They need to add another reserve here and hopeful someone who can step in case of injury and be ready to compete next year when Seau likely moves on or is in a reserve role.

I go LB at 4 and WR or OL at 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex Stepanovich

Big, mean thug in the middle of the line that controls the situation. Nasty, looks to destroy defenders and usually does.

Heads into his senior year regarded as one of the top centers in college football … has been named to several preseason All-America teams and is the No. 1 college center in the nation according to The Sporting News, which ranks Ohio State’s offensive line as the best in the nation...

Positives: Has a thick frame with very good muscle tone, large hands and long arms ... Well-respected by coaches and teammates for his tough, aggressive nature (comes from his prep wrestling background) ... Puts in the extra effort in practices and in the weight room ... Has a defensive mentality (plays with a search and destroy approach) ... Shows good explosion upon contact and works hard to sustain blocks ... Has adequate flexibility, working well with the other guard and center in combo blocks ... Snaps out of his stance with his hands getting quickly into the defender's chest ... Has the foot speed to be effective on traps and shows decent agility working in space ... Has strong hands to deliver a forceful punch and shows proper technique to hold on to his opponent without the refs noticing ... Displays quick hand snap at the center position, keeping his head on a swivel to locate secondary targets after the initial block ... Smart enough to wall out and seal off in pass protection ... Has no problems dealing with a defender lining up over him and has the ability to shotgun snap ... Best when working in the short area, as he utilizes his strength to sustain.

Negatives: May be better suited for center, as he struggles to get out front when asked to pull (sloppy footwork working in space) ... Has a nasty nature, but sometimes lets his emotions get the better of him, resulting in costly penalties ... His wrestling mentality forces him to try and out-muscle the defender (this results in him locking on to the opponent for long periods, rather than chip off to find another target to locate) ... Not a great athlete, but relies a lot on his highly competitive nature ... Even with his power and aggressive attitude, he does not consistently knock guys around on his own (seemed to lack the hip snap in 2003 that he displayed the previous season, but that could be due to injury problems) ... Does not get proper leverage on running plays, falling behind the plays when asked to move to the second level (better working in the box) ... His struggles pulling and playing in space at guard is another reason why center may be his pro position.

I'd like to see Isaac Sopoaga. The DTs are getting long in the tooth, and this guy is phenomenal value.

DT | (6'2", 314, 4.97) | HAWAII | COLLEGE STATS
Data from Scouts, Inc.
Grade: 81
Comments: Sopoaga is big, well-proportioned, powerful interior lineman. Good leverage. Excellent lower-body strength. Best when anchoring vs. run. Plays with wide base, can take on two blockers. Tough to generate a surge against in run game. Good quickness, can penetrate when giving maximum effort. Durability is a minor concern after medial cruciate ligament injury in 2003, but he never had a major injury before. A bit raw. Does not use hands well and gets locked up too much. Effort inconsistent. Good quickness as pass rusher, but must improve variety of moves. Lacks speed, closing burst as pass rusher. Stiff, lacks agility in pursuit. Sopoaga is best suited to play nose tackle or in a gap-control scheme on a traditional four-man front. He has good size and is a powerful player who can occupy blockers and anchor vs. the run. He has enough quickness and power to collapse the pocket as a pass rusher, but is much more effective vs. the run. Sopoaga has a lot of room to improve. His recognition and instincts are questionable, his technique inconsistent, and he must give a more consistent effort. Sapoaga has the potential to develop into a two-down starter. At the least, he should be an excellent wave player who can contribute as a run-stopper. He grades out as a late-Day 1 prospect.

I thinking P.K. Sam would be the best pick. This guy is a first round talent that is available in the 4th round. Had he stayed at Florida State, he would have likely been one of the top receivers available for the 2005 draft. He's probably a year away from making a major impact, but anytime you can get a guy of first round talent this late, you should take it.

Nat Dorsey would be an interesting pick. Despite the fact that he hasn't improved any since his freshman season, he is a guy who has a lot of upside. Had he improved at the pace he should have, he probably would have been drafted in the early part of the first round. He's stagnated though. He's a year or two away from starting, but there is a definite upside there.

Jason Shivers is a safety who is a big hitter and a ball hawk.

I also like DeMorrio Williams.

I like Everage, Will Allen, Will Poole and PK Sam.

I would love Sam, but it would be great to get Will Poole, we need a dime CB, and he is a really talented guy, that was talked about as a first round pick.

I agree guys. Stepanovich, Sapoage ( why has he dropped?), and LB Williams would all be good candidates for the 4th. What do we need more? I can hear the pundits now if we drafted a center though :cry: ............why???, we need WR, what? .... are we giving up on McKinney???? RS has no idea what he is doing etc., etc. ..... He would be excellent depth and push McKinney. The 4th seems high to me for a back up center though. I think the back up center has to be able to play LG, and I am not sure Stepanovich can do that.

I couls see us going after Nat Dorsey T from GT he is a Junior and likely would be a mid to late first rounder had he stayed for his senior year.

I don't think Poole fills a need, but that's incredible value. I wouldn't criticize the FO for taking him. Maybe we could turn him into a safety, or use him as a return man.

That said, I'd be shocked if he's not one of the first couple guys off the day 2 board.

Jorser said:
I agree guys. Stepanovich, Sapoage ( why has he dropped?), and LB Williams would all be good candidates for the 4th. What do we need more? I can hear the pundits now if we drafted a center though :cry: ............why???, we need WR, what are we giving up on McKinney???? He would be excellent depth and push McKinney. The 4th seems high to me for a back up center though. I think the back up center has to be able to play LG, and I am not sure Stepanovich can do that.

I have no idea why some of these guys have dropped. Happens every year though. Sometimes, there's a snowball effect; a player starts dropping, and teams think there's something they don't know about, so they pass on him too.
It's not exactly the same, but I remember in the NBA draft (2001?) when Loren Woods of Arizona had been projected as a late lottery-mid first round pick, and he plummeted all the way to the late second round. Teams in the top 15 went elsewhere, and teams outside that had never scouted him in the first place, so they figured there was a problem that they didn't know about, and ignored him. (Of course, in Woods' case, there was just such a problem: he sucked as a pro)

Anyway, back to Stepanovich, we could take him and let him compete with McKinney for the C job and if Stepanovich wins the training camp battle, move McKinney to RG. Seth can play C and the two guard spots.

I think that the NYG will pick DT or LB, SD will pivk a T, OaK a WR, ARZ a CB, and ATL a T.

I say we will pick a DT.

KBISBACK said:
I thinking P.K. Sam would be the best pick. This guy is a first round talent that is available in the 4th round. Had he stayed at Florida State, he would have likely been one of the top receivers available for the 2005 draft. He's probably a year away from making a major impact, but anytime you can get a guy of first round talent this late, you should take it.

Nat Dorsey would be an interesting pick. Despite the fact that he hasn't improved any since his freshman season, he is a guy who has a lot of upside. Had he improved at the pace he should have, he probably would have been drafted in the early part of the first round. He's stagnated though. He's a year or two away from starting, but there is a definite upside there.

Jason Shivers is a safety who is a big hitter and a ball hawk.

I also like DeMorrio Williams.

I don't understand the infactuation with PK Sam by so many. He is raw, undisciplined, and lacks toughness, three aspects of a WR that I see as mandatory for what we need.

Here are the players from Gil Brandt's top 100 that are still available:

Shaun Phillips DE Purdue
Bo Schobel DE TCU
Matthias Askew DT Michigan State
Isaac Sopoaga DT Hawaii
Will Poole CB Southern California
Jerricho Cotchery WR N.C. State
P.K. Sam WR Florida State
Mewelde Moore RB Tulane
Stacy Andrews OT Ole Miss
Kelly Butler OT Purdue
Trey Darleik OG Texas-El Paso
Nat Dorsey OT Georgia Tech
Adrian Jones OT Kansas
Alex Stepanovich C Ohio State

It's interesting that Brandt doesn't have Williams or Shivers in his top 100.

Back
Top Bottom