The All-Purpose Free Agency thread... | Page 186 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-Purpose Free Agency thread...

The videos they showed had examples where the tackler didn't twist. I don't expect that it will only be applied when there's a twist. I suspect that it will be called whenever the tackler's body weight falls on the ball carrier's lower body.
I hope that's it...just when the weight falls on the lower body. Anything else is just too subjective

🤷‍♂️

I don't know bro...39 seconds in against the Jets I saw 2 I'd flag with this rule before I stopped watching. Tough debate and I guess we'll see how they 'tackle' it during implementation.

Edit: went back because I love watching Zach smash 😂 so at about 1:25 against Faulk he does the weight drop and slight twist...these refs are going to get wild 😂 then again...then again....they allowed Dbs to mug Hill and Waddle downfield past the bump-n-run allowance because.... according to one announcer who I forgot who it was... that mentioned how you can't cover them any other way so it needs to be allowed 😂
I see what you mean on that play. I don’t think they will call that (hopefully) - if they call that then I would change my tune on the rule change.

The officials suck no matter what the rules are I just want less injuries. Tyreek Achane and Waddle are prime candidates for the these types of what I look at as somewhat dirty tackles.

Also ZT is an absolute destroyer in that video so sick. Love that guy

Last edited:
The videos they showed had examples where the tackler didn't twist. I don't expect that it will only be applied when there's a twist. I suspect that it will be called whenever the tackler's body weight falls on the ball carrier's lower body.
If that's the case then I would agree the rule would make things extremely difficult and cause major problems for the game, but again, that is what the rule specifically stipulates would be a penalty. The twist has to happen for it to be a penalty.

But I'm certainly not going to get all upset about something that a) hasn't happened yet and b) hasn't been misinterpreted yet.

🤷‍♂️

I don't know bro...39 seconds in against the Jets I saw 2 I'd flag with this rule before I stopped watching. Tough debate and I guess we'll see how they 'tackle' it during implementation.

Edit: went back because I love watching Zach smash 😂 so at about 1:25 against Faulk he does the weight drop and slight twist...these refs are going to get wild 😂 then again...then again....they allowed Dbs to mug Hill and Waddle downfield past the bump-n-run allowance because.... according to one announcer who I forgot who it was... that mentioned how you can't cover them any other way so it needs to be allowed 😂

Again it proves my point, and I think you have been saying it to.

Video that was used to call BS on my statement, looks diferrent to someone else watching the same thing.

Of course, my post was made in jest really to Zack Thomas. But the video shown is exactly why this is going to be a problem officiating.

Martel doesn't throw a flag
The Mage may throw a flag.

Both saw the same video.

Now, again, imagine these refs having to make these decisions in real time without the luxury of analyzing video like we are

This is why they say an eye witness is sometimes the least reliable witness lol

Again it proves my point, and I think you have been saying it to.

Video that was used to call BS on my statement, looks diferrent to someone else watching the same thing.

Of course, my post was made in jest really to Zack Thomas. But the video shown is exactly why this is going to be a problem officiating.

Martel doesn't throw a flag
The Mage may throw a flag.

Both saw the same video.

Now, again, imagine these refs having to make these decisions in real time without the luxury of analyzing video like we are

This is why they say an eye witness is sometimes the least reliable witness lol

The issue is that if the flag isn't reviewable then the power lies with the ref and the angle he perceived the infraction...here's the key...at that specific moment in time (because again the flag is thrown and most likely will not be picked up unless a ref comes running from outer space and says i had the better angle and saw blah blah)... and the refs judgment call...whether accurate or not...

your right...I wouldn't stress ....yet... <insert evil skeletor laugh> 😂
Giggle Smile GIF

I see what you mean on that play. I don’t they will call that (hopefully) - if they call that then I would change my tune on the rule change.

The officials suck no matter what the rules are I just want less injuries. Tyreek Achane and Waddle are prime candidates for the these types of what I look at as somewhat dirty tackles.

Also ZT is an absolute destroyer in that video so sick. Love that guy

Bro I named my oldest son after him 😂...it was awesome when they met and Zach called (my) Zach by name and treated him like fam 👍

So how is the defensive player supposed to protect himself. You want a 190 pound CB to take on a 250 TE head on. That has concussion written all over it. Another thing the NFL is desperately trying to avoid. Concussions are the greatest threat legally and perception wise to long term viability of the league.

No. I didn’t say head on. Proper tackling technique is with the shoulder pad and wrapping up. It’s the spearing below knee that is the problem. It’s the exact same kind of play the NFL has outlawed with QBs.

He doesn’t have to make himself a head first missile to tackle him. He can hit him with the shoulder pad in the thigh or above the knee and/or wrap him up. A fundamental form tackle wrapping up the legs will bring anyone down. There have been many good DBs and safeties who have used that fundamental technique. It was partly segments like ESPN‘s “Jacked Up!” in the 90s and early 2000s that exacerbated the way defensive backs attacked receivers. It became something akin to the slam dunk in the NBA. And, like the NBA, which lost the art of the short range jumper, partly in favor of posterizing another player, players saw their ability to intimidate and also to gain popularity through massive hits. It took me a while to come around to this today, because I absolutely loved players like Jack Tatum and Gene Atkinson, who destroyed receivers over the middle. Particularly with the clothes line tackle. They were arguably the greatest ever at that tackle too the NFL correctly outlawed it.

The Darryl Stingley hit was a game changer for me. And for the league.

In my view, the game can still be tackle football and still involve hitting in the proper way in which a player doesn’t have to hit with the helmet, but can still make a good fundamental tackle. But the popularity of the modern game is hindered when star players get knocked out of it because of certain types of tackles and that’s why the league is seeking to address those and talking about those kinds of tackles. the bottom line is it’s a sport that is grounded in entertainment. No one wants to see Blake Bell in place of Travis Kelce or Cedric Wilson Jr instead of Tyreek Hill. And fans certainly don’t want to see Blaine Gabbert in place of Patrick Mahomes.

Personally, I’d much rather have had Devon Achane all season instead of Salvon Ahmed, or Brooks.

Will he have the same impact now since they're changing the kick off rule

Speedy defenders might need to take some lessons from Tyreek Hill about avoiding the jam on kick offs and being able to get past a blocker. But it’s not too different than the outside gunners on punt returns. We will need to have 3-4 really good ones.

The issue is that if the flag isn't reviewable then the power lies with the ref and the angle he perceived the infraction...here's the key...at that specific moment in time (because again the flag is thrown and most likely will not be picked up unless a ref comes running from outer space and says i had the better angle and saw blah blah)... and the refs judgment call...whether accurate or not...

Exactly.

It's the perfect ammunition, for conspiracy theorists like myself, to keep crying about conspiracies lol.

Leave me alone fever haha

Back
Top Bottom