The All-Purpose Free Agency thread... | Page 187 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-Purpose Free Agency thread...

No one wants to see Blake Bell in place of Travis Kelce or Cedric Wilson Jr instead of Tyreek Hill. And fans certainly don’t want to see Blaine Gabbert in place of Patrick Mahomes.

Personally, I’d much rather have had Devon Achane all season instead of Salvon Ahmed, or Brooks.

Jackpot... and I feel you....but consider...you change the game one redrawing of the line at a time until you look back and the game is as far away from what we grew up with as Miami is from LA....

The video games story of players' rising salaries, outcry over injuries etc. is pretty close to what is actually been going on for awhile now in changing the sport permanently over time....the football we see today is different from the one played with leather helmets and it'll change even more as time passes (for better or worse - depending on each individuals opinions on said changes)...it's inevitable it seems...

Last edited:
Exactly.

It's the perfect ammunition, for conspiracy theorists like myself, to keep crying about conspiracies lol.

Leave me alone fever haha

😂 😂

Fever is a man of many emotions and he's clearly let it be known if you even indulge for but a moment in something wacky...

You are this guy 😂

1711506677304.png

Would you give up a future 7th for a new backup? I'd think about it. Surely theres more untapped potential there than Mike White or Skylar Thompson

2 comments:

1. Woody Johnsons "if we don't trade him, we will keep him sounds utterly moronic."
2. Yes, I would trade a 7th for Z. Wilson. He has much more potential then any of our backups.

A good example for Zach Wilson would be Drew Lock. Drew Lock managed to turn one good start into 2/10m. Zach should stay in NY, backup Rodgers and when he gets hurt put up one good performance and he’ll get something next offseason.

No. I didn’t say head on. Proper tackling technique is with the shoulder pad and wrapping up. It’s the spearing below knee that is the problem. It’s the exact same kind of play the NFL has outlawed with QBs.

He doesn’t have to make himself a head first missile to tackle him. He can hit him with the shoulder pad in the thigh or above the knee and/or wrap him up. A fundamental form tackle wrapping up the legs will bring anyone down. There have been many good DBs and safeties who have used that fundamental technique. It was partly segments like ESPN‘s “Jacked Up!” in the 90s and early 2000s that exacerbated the way defensive backs attacked receivers. It became something akin to the slam dunk in the NBA. And, like the NBA, which lost the art of the short range jumper, partly in favor of posterizing another player, players saw their ability to intimidate and also to gain popularity through massive hits. It took me a while to come around to this today, because I absolutely loved players like Jack Tatum and Gene Atkinson, who destroyed receivers over the middle. Particularly with the clothes line tackle. They were arguably the greatest ever at that tackle too the NFL correctly outlawed it.

The Darryl Stingley hit was a game changer for me. And for the league.

In my view, the game can still be tackle football and still involve hitting in the proper way in which a player doesn’t have to hit with the helmet, but can still make a good fundamental tackle. But the popularity of the modern game is hindered when star players get knocked out of it because of certain types of tackles and that’s why the league is seeking to address those and talking about those kinds of tackles. the bottom line is it’s a sport that is grounded in entertainment. No one wants to see Blake Bell in place of Travis Kelce or Cedric Wilson Jr instead of Tyreek Hill. And fans certainly don’t want to see Blaine Gabbert in place of Patrick Mahomes.

Personally, I’d much rather have had Devon Achane all season instead of Salvon Ahmed, or Brooks.
You are presenting the perfect scenario. Now, what should a safety or CB do when Rob Gronkowski is coming at them full speed he and lowers his shoulder to protect himself? Where can the defender hit him other than below the knees in order to keep from getting run over or injured himself?

2 comments:

1. Woody Johnsons "if we don't trade him, we will keep him sounds utterly moronic."
2. Yes, I would trade a 7th for Z. Wilson. He has much more potential then any of our backups.
agree, he needs a guy like Tua and McD to mentor him and get some faith back into his head. The Jets were a complete **** show, maybe worse than the Fins when Tua arrived. I would take him as back up over our guys in a minute.

You are presenting the perfect scenario. Now, what should a safety or CB do when Rob Gronkowski is coming at them full speed he and lowers his shoulder to protect himself? Where can the defender hit him other than below the knees in order to keep from getting run over or injured himself?
Realistically in that scenario, I'm going to try and go lower than his lowered head and shoulders. Ideally I'd be aiming for his thighs, but at full speed, I suspect that most of the time I'd hit the knees or lower.

If that's the case then I would agree the rule would make things extremely difficult and cause major problems for the game, but again, that is what the rule specifically stipulates would be a penalty. The twist has to happen for it to be a penalty.

But I'm certainly not going to get all upset about something that a) hasn't happened yet and b) hasn't been misinterpreted yet.
I'm actually not upset at all. I understand why they're doing it. But I do believe that there will be implementation issues. And I believe that it will often put defenders in positions where they have no legal options. I also expect that tackling the knees will be the most obvious defensive adaptation. I'm sure there will be other issues and effects that I'm not smart enough to calculate.

Back
Top Bottom