The All-Purpose Free Agency thread... | Page 197 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-Purpose Free Agency thread...

Yeah, it's great that Tyreek has found time to squeeze in a workout in between slapping around hoes and baby mamas, while that bastard Tua has the audacity to play golf during his free time.
His posts about this are stale now.

It's not that simple. We can't afford him.
You’re both right and wrong.

As presently constituted, we can’t afford him. But if we want to compete with teams going all in, we need to go all in, too.

For example, the reason the Jets can afford Reddick is because they have reworked Aaron Rodgers’s contract such that 43-year old Aaron Rodgers is going to count $35 million in dead money against their cap after he retires. (If he isn’t retired by then, he’d count $63 million against the cap.)

The Eagles have done the same types of things to load up on talent and maximize the “now.”

We have done a few deals with void years, but we’re nowhere near as leveraged with bad future money as a number of other contenders are.

Actually, I think we agree. I just think you read too much into that first post an inferred that somebody claimed Grier was the only one involved in the decision-making. I don't think anybody else inferred that.

Maybe I'm in denial, but it seems consistent comments paint a picture. here are a few I found in a quick search. But, I think you're right - we agree more than disagree
Maybe Grier is targeting a DT in the 1st, or trade down
the offensive line still needs help. But, does Grier feel that way?
Dolphins have been at least good at the draft and stellar at FA since Grier got final say.
The offensive line is in better shape, but I'd be disappointed if Grier didn't add a potential starter there.
Iggy just didn't pan out, but I don't fault Grier for drafting one of the premier positions

Eich isn't going anywhere in 2024, regardless of whether we sign Risner. Cotton has a spatula with his name on it at the nearest Waffle Hut.
Lol, i totally agree with you about Cotton, but all the Dolphins activity so far is telling me they are trying to get rid of Eich as well. Currently Eichenberg's only reason to still be on the roster is that he is our backup center. All of the guard signings have eliminated him from a starting guard spot, and most likely a backup guard spot as well. I also strongly suspect that we will draft an OT that can play guard as well. We have also been sniffing around quite a few center/guard types.

You may end up being right that Eich finds a way to be on the roster for his final year, but it won't be as a starter, and they are clearly trying to replace him. I'm sure they also wouldn't mind getting his ridiculous $4m salary off our cap, which they could do the instant they cut him.

Maybe I'm in denial, but it seems consistent comments paint a picture. here are a few I found in a quick search. But, I think you're right - we agree more than disagree
Maybe Grier is targeting a DT in the 1st, or trade down
the offensive line still needs help. But, does Grier feel that way?
Dolphins have been at least good at the draft and stellar at FA since Grier got final say.
The offensive line is in better shape, but I'd be disappointed if Grier didn't add a potential starter there.
Iggy just didn't pan out, but I don't fault Grier for drafting one of the premier positions
For better or worse, Grier has not made a significant draft day trade in his time as GM. The biggest one I can think of was giving up our 2nd round pick for Josh Rosen in 2019. In 2020 and 2021 we had a ton of assets and we stuck to our spots (outside of the trade up for Eichenberg) and took who was available.

As much as I would like to add picks by trading down, history suggests that probably won’t happen. Based on our needs and the talent available, I believe we will go OL in the 1st and WR/DT in the 2nd. It is a deep class for all 3 positions and we cannot afford to miss out on capable starters.

I get the panic reaction of fans to immediately “replace” Wilkins, but I don’t think Newton or Murphy will slide to 21. No reason to draft any of the less polished DTs that high; there will definitely be talented guys at 55. However, at 21 guys like Barton, JPJ, Fautanu or Latham could be there and should not be passed on.

It's funny how these non-specific tweets generate such a firestorm of opinion... strong opinions based upon nothing but rumours generated by an agent trying to stir up demand for his client, or a media person begging for clicks.

Supposedly... the Dolphins were staying in contact with a vet Guard. No one ever said which vet... but now we have dozens of posts by posters who are just POSITIVE who it is... AND HE FIRED HIS AGENT TOOOO!

AND OBJ IS GONNA SIGN!!!

And everybody hates the Center we want!!@@

SQUEEEEEEE!

God I hate smokescreen season.
Smoke Weed GIF by GloRilla

I hope this is the kind of Smokescreen we talkin bout? 😂😂😂

I think we are going to be quiet in Free Agency until after the draft and then again post June 1 when we will have the X money freed up.

You’re both right and wrong.

As presently constituted, we can’t afford him. But if we want to compete with teams going all in, we need to go all in, too.

For example, the reason the Jets can afford Reddick is because they have reworked Aaron Rodgers’s contract such that 43-year old Aaron Rodgers is going to count $35 million in dead money against their cap after he retires. (If he isn’t retired by then, he’d count $63 million against the cap.)

The Eagles have done the same types of things to load up on talent and maximize the “now.”

We have done a few deals with void years, but we’re nowhere near as leveraged with bad future money as a number of other contenders are.

Ya the Eagles have loaded up on the void years. Most of the Eagles fans I know don't have a clue about that either. I laugh when I talk to them about it.

Ya the Eagles have loaded up on the void years. Most of the Eagles fans I know don't have a clue about that either. I laugh when I talk to them about it.
I get why you laugh, but honestly, the joke is on everyone else. They’ve been to two Super Bowls and have made the playoffs six times in the last seven years.

The idea that they’ll have to pay the piper eventually isn’t even true. They can keep pushing money into the future literally forever, until they eventually decide to bottom out — at which point they can take all of their medicine at once and tank (the same way we had to) and start over with a fresh cap situation. Every team has to bottom out and tank eventually anyway, so may as well let that happen organically with 10 years’ worth of overspending all coming due at once.

I am very much in favor of us doing that. Being financially responsible is just dumb in the modern NFL. You never have to lose a player you don’t want to lose, and you don’t actually have to pay the piper on bad cap money until you choose to do so.

Are you willing to pay a guard $25-30m aav in 5 years? If the answer is no then you don’t take a guard in the first round. Premiere positions are QB, DE, CB, OT and WR. That’s what I think we should target (aside from QB because we have Tua but included in the list for completeness).

I think we are going to be quiet in Free Agency until after the draft and then again post June 1 when we will have the X money freed up.

There isn't that much more room on the roster for veteran free agents anyway. Outside of a RG, WR3 and DT, you're unlikely to commit much to anyone else, this offseason.

I get why you laugh, but honestly, the joke is on everyone else. They’ve been to two Super Bowls and have made the playoffs six times in the last seven years.

The idea that they’ll have to pay the piper eventually isn’t even true. They can keep pushing money into the future literally forever, until they eventually decide to bottom out — at which point they can take all of their medicine at once and tank (the same way we had to) and start over with a fresh cap situation. Every team has to bottom out and tank eventually anyway, so may as well let that happen organically with 10 years’ worth of overspending all coming due at once.

I am very much in favor of us doing that. Being financially responsible is just dumb in the modern NFL. You never have to lose a player you don’t want to lose, and you don’t actually have to pay the piper on bad cap money until you choose to do so.

Well they're paying for it now. They had to let Hargrave go a year ago and now traded Reddick because they didn't want to pay him what he's actually worth, which is substantially more than $14M.

Howie is going to find it really difficult to navigate the cap now that Hurts is off that rookie contract. They had like $50M in dead cap space I believe two years ago, you can't keep that up.

I am glad Howie struggles in prospect evaluations. He's done an excellent job in the trades department but I wouldn't let that guy run my teams draft.

We'll see how his team holds it together now that they've lost the Andy Reid core of leaders.

Additionally, they might have a Lane Johnson problem. I've never seen anyone abuse Johnson the way Jaelen Phillips did last year, after Lane returned from his injury. Maybe he'll go into the season back to full strength but Jaelen Phillips was eating him alive, too bad the refs decided to keep those whistles quiet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom