The argument against trading up in the draft: Surprisingly insightful article from ESPN | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The argument against trading up in the draft: Surprisingly insightful article from ESPN

Yeah would like to trade back however Grier has been pretty money in the 1st
2016:Tunsil
2017: Charles Harris
2018: minkah
2019 wilkins
2020: Tua/Jackson/Iggy 🤮
2021: Philips/ waddle

Obviously Harris and Iggy were bust but 7 out of 9 is pretty damn good and yeah I know Tunsil and minkah went on to play for other teams on rookie deals but still he drafted them. Just about all those guys aren’t just starters but pro bowl/all pro level players. 77% hit rate in first round.
That 77% hit rate is very high relative to the NFL average. People who complain about Miami's drafting are out of touch with the realities of drafting. There are always what-ifs. I can point to guys I wanted that turned out to be hits as well and better than the guys they took in their spots, but reality is that there will always be misses. And none of us are managing scouts and coaches in the draft room. Sometimes the best thing is to let a scout or a coach have their guy. It may or may not work out but empowering people to have a say general makes them take more pride and do their job better. And the bottom line is that the Dolphins have drafted way better than average since Grier got final say.

Mach didn’t like my loose generalization of the word “sane”
Not a matter of "like".

What one man considers sane could be another man's lunacy.

As far as women, they're all insane. It then becomes a matter of to what degree.

Yeah would like to trade back however Grier has been pretty money in the 1st
2016:Tunsil
2017: Charles Harris
2018: minkah
2019 wilkins
2020: Tua/Jackson/Iggy 🤮
2021: Philips/ waddle

Obviously Harris and Iggy were bust but 7 out of 9 is pretty damn good and yeah I know Tunsil and minkah went on to play for other teams on rookie deals but still he drafted them. Just about all those guys aren’t just starters but pro bowl/all pro level players. 77% hit rate in first round.
I disagree. If you hit on 77% of your first round picks, there’s no way you don’t win a playoff game. And if it weren’t for Tyreek Hill we’re probably not even making the playoffs.

Well the team traded up great players like Wilkins and needs to find players in the draft that can replace him, start that person in week 1. Develop and utilize him.

I disagree. If you hit on 77% of your first round picks, there’s no way you don’t win a playoff game. And if it weren’t for Tyreek Hill we’re probably not even making the playoffs.

Not his fault. Guys got hurt/underachieved as a unit. Individual players point of view, Miami has had a top 5 talented roster. Even this year on a budget they brought on an underrated tight end, top linebacker, another top 10 corner and a safety who’s a slight upgrade in tackling and coverage as well as a defensive leader.

Gm’s job is to bring in talent and he’s done that through drafts/trades/free agency.

Not a matter of "like".

What one man considers sane could be another man's lunacy.

As far as women, they're all insane. It then becomes a matter of to what degree.
Which is what I said…

Which is why we factor in other things to the “sane” part…. Baggage, trauma, are they honest or devious, loyal or scheming, etc… sane then becomes sort of about “crazy” but also about general personality and attitude temperament

The injury thing just doesn't stand up.

You don't get to draft a bunch of guys with health concerns, makes trades and acquire FAs overlooking their past injuries, retain a bunch of veterans nearing the end of their useless lives as players and then play the injury card.

Like, bro, c'mon. The reason you were able to build this roster in 1.5 years was that you basically overlooked injury as a concern and crossed your fingers.

That does not qualify as achieving the Sane category… baggage is trauma, trauma is a form of insanity… also dishonest and devious are definitely attributes of that as well.

My list is a little more nuanced than what’s on the surface ;)
Wait, wait, wait …

You guys are telling these broads your real names?!?

:bobdole:

Fellahs, fellahs.

Back
Top Bottom