The argument against trading up in the draft: Surprisingly insightful article from ESPN | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The argument against trading up in the draft: Surprisingly insightful article from ESPN

That's the issue with alternative historical timelines on any subject in general. It easy to say "what if" in the vacuum of the moment, but no one can predict the future falling dominoes with any provable accuracy. It is an exorcize in futility.
?

What if my ex wasn't a collosal pain in the a$$?

Things to ponder........
Ah, yes, the age old question that shall never be answered ( but we both know the answer, am I right @Mach2 ?). I don't care how many Bizzaro World's may be out there, there's not one in the entire MF'ing universe where my ex is not a pain in the keister . Hot as a firecracker and mean as a snake, bad combo for me as well as the five guys she ended up marrying after me. Tells me all the time that I'm the one that got away, I feel very proud of that accomplishment!

Ah, yes, the age old question that shall never be answered ( but we both know the answer, am I right @Mach2 ?). I don't care how many Bizzaro World's may be out there, there's not one in the entire MF'ing universe where my ex is not a pain in the keister . Hot as a firecracker and mean as a snake, bad combo for me as well as the five guys she ended up marrying after me. Tells me all the time that I'm the one that got away, I feel very proud of that accomplishment!
I prescribe to the “3 S’s”

Sexy Sane Smart… you can pick 2.

If by some god given blessing you get all three, marry that woman asap.

Last edited:
The trade back up for Waddle was actually mentioned in that article as an overpay (and was used in the context of what a horrible move it was by the Bills to trade up for Sammy Watkins).

The few times we’ve traded up in recent years have not been great. I like Waddle, but it’s been argued legitimately that moving back to 6 for him was an overpayment all things considered.

True but we earned so much trading down it hides that. We ended up getting Waddle and a future 1st for that #3 pick. As a whole most just wanted a WR so to them it’s a good overall takeaway.

Trade up using our 3rd supposedly we are getting 2 3rds as compensation for the loss if Wilkins and Hunt.
To target a specific player who has fallen slightly.
My guy hopefully to target is Fashanu.
Bowers might also be a target.
Let's get our top pick this draft to be a day 1 starter

True but we earned so much trading down it hides that. We ended up getting Waddle and a future 1st for that #3 pick. As a whole most just wanted a WR so to them it’s a good overall takeaway.
Yeah yeah both arguments could be made,
I didn’t *hate* the move back…

But it’s actually pretty ironic the argument you’re making (“well we had the extra picks”) is notated in that article and exactly one of the justifications used for trade ups that end up being a net net negative.

Probably the best article I’ve ever read on ESPN… and even the posts in this thread explain how it’s more of a human nature thing. We are all the proof.

If by some god given blessing you get all three, marry that woman asap. And if you need an engagement ring, I can help.
I had one that checked all the boxes, turned out I was the one short on the "sane" part, otherwise we woulda been 6 for 6 as a couple under your formula @Atila :chuckle: . I blame the Dolphins and Crown Royal.

If by some god given blessing you get all three, marry that woman asap.
Well, I have found a couple that qualify but, unfortunately, they came with baggage. They were also greedy, dishonest and devious.

I had one that checked all the boxes, turned out I was the one short on the "sane" part, otherwise we woulda been 6 for 6 as a couple under your formula @Atila :chuckle: . I blame the Dolphins and Crown Royal.
My last gf before my wife was easily hotter than 98% of women *anyone* has dated…

But crazier than 99.9%.

God damn though.

Well, I have found a couple that qualify but, unfortunately, they came with baggage. They were also greedy, dishonest and devious.
That does not qualify as achieving the Sane category… baggage is trauma, trauma is a form of insanity… also dishonest and devious are definitely attributes of that as well.

My list is a little more nuanced than what’s on the surface ;)

That does not qualify as achieving the Sane category… baggage is trauma, trauma is a form of insanity… also dishonest and devious are definitely attributes of that as well.

My list is a little more nuanced than what’s on the surface ;)
So you associate your own personal morality with sanity? By that manner of reasoning and definition most ppl are insane.

We will have to agree to disagree. That's fine, though.

In his latest interview, Grier stated that there were fewer than 21 prospects that Miami has listed as 1st round picks.

It's my understanding that it's typically about 15 per year. This is what Gil Brand has said in those days when he participated on Sirius Radio.

So, how does that relate? Well, if one of those slides and is in the Dolphins range, it could make sense to deal up.

If you don't have someone rated as a 1st rounder and the next 30 or so are similar, then trading down for more picks could make sense.

So you associate your own personal morality with sanity? By that manner of reasoning and definition most ppl are insane.

We will have to agree to disagree. That's fine, though.
Most women are insane by any man’s standard, yes.

When you dig into “sexy sane smart” beyond just the surface of the word I suspect you’ll end up agreeing.

Back
Top Bottom