The Athletic Comes To Miami... Hires Chris Perkins And Big O | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Athletic Comes To Miami... Hires Chris Perkins And Big O

uk_dolfan

Proud Tua Cultist
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The Athletic they have hired a lot of top class writers across the US to cover various teams. Its an interesting subscription based platform.

They have now arrived in Miami and have hired Big O from WQAM and Chris Perkins from the SS to cover the fins.

Perkin's camp coverage has been better this year, but Big O? lets just say im going to pass on signing up to the Athletic for the time being

I've no problem with Perkins but my issues with The Bloated One overcompensates for that. So thanks for the heads-up cautionary warning about crapping any of my hard-earned $ away on them.

https://footballmaven.io/dolphins

Dolphins Maven has

Antwan Staley
Craig Davis
Andy Kent
Harvey Fialkov

All of them have massive experience as beat writers and they're already populating the site with THE SAME STUFF you've come to expect from any place, be it the Miami Herald, Palm Beach Post, or Sun Sentinel.

And I do mean the same information. ALL the information from the beat...from guys who have worked the beat.

The biggest difference between Dolphins Maven and the Herald or Sun Sentinel is, and I mean this...there's no overwhelming PERSONALITY type going on twitter and telling everyone how stupid they are, pretending that you need to pay them if you want them to notice you, and otherwise having a stuck-up attitude.

The Athletic has Big O.

Dolphin Maven has...well, us.

It has 3 Yards Per Carry...with Chris Kouffman (ckparrot), Simon Clancy (Boomer), and Alf Arteaga (Section126).
It has The Fish Tank...with O.J. McDuffie and Seth Levitt.

Oh...and NO PAYWALL.

https://footballmaven.io/dolphins

Dolphins Maven has

Antwan Staley
Craig Davis
Andy Kent
Harvey Fialkov

All of them have massive experience as beat writers and they're already populating the site with THE SAME STUFF you've come to expect from any place, be it the Miami Herald, Palm Beach Post, or Sun Sentinel.

And I do mean the same information. ALL the information from the beat...from guys who have worked the beat.

The biggest difference between Dolphins Maven and the Herald or Sun Sentinel is, and I mean this...there's no overwhelming PERSONALITY type going on twitter and telling everyone how stupid they are, pretending that you need to pay them if you want them to notice you, and otherwise having a stuck-up attitude.

The Athletic has Big O.

Dolphin Maven has...well, us.

It has 3 Yards Per Carry...with Chris Kouffman (ckparrot), Simon Clancy (Boomer), and Alf Arteaga (Section126).
It has The Fish Tank...with O.J. McDuffie and Seth Levitt.

Oh...and NO PAYWALL.

Important question - What the hell is a maven?

I think Antwan is great, wasn't aware he left the USA Today blog - I will be sure to check the site out. I have a vague reccoletion that Andy Kent was involved in the Phinsiders?

Last edited:
Wait, so they want us to pay to listen to Orlando? Lol no thanks. I'll go to Channing Crowder, Three Yards Per Carry, and other reputable places for my Dolphins info.

Some of the other athletic sites have excellent writers many people happily pay for

The Athletic is great for storytelling and for really getting deep into the teams, of which Perkins doesn't do. I subscribed last month at 50% off for the first year for Georgia and Braves coverage. The lead NFL and MLB writing is fantastic as well. Glad to see Miami get on board but not thrilled with the selections.

Important question - What the hell is a maven?

I think Anquan is great, wasnt aware he left the USA Today blog - I will be sure to check the site out. I have a vague reccoletion that Andy Kent was involved in the Phinsiders?

Yup you've got it. Antwan Staley is with Dolphins Maven. Andy Kent used to be one of the Miami Dolphins in-house writers along with guys like Andy Cohen and Alain Poupart. Except now he's not got it in his contract that he has to be It's Always Sunny in Davie.

I'm actually just getting familiar with Maven. It's a pretty big-ass network, evidently. Has all 32 teams. It has NFL Draft Scout and Sports Xchange.

Urban Dictionary:
maven
"Maven" comes to us from the Hebrew, by way of Yiddish. In Hebrew, "mavin" means "he knows". So a "maven" is someone in the know, a real expert, or maybe sometimes just a self-styled expert.
"You need to decide on a new computer? Talk to my cousin, he just graduated from CalTech, he's a real maven."
OR
"Okay, so you read one magazine article, what does that make you, a maven?"

The Athletic is an interesting idea. They have some great talent, today this signed Jay Glazer. But their approach to Miami is deeply puzzling

I listened to the Big O for the first time in a while on my lunch break last week and his show seemed to be geared towards an older crowd (I'm 29). The majority of what he talked about are concerts he attended in the 70s and 80s and lemonade from a sub shop on Bird Road.

I listened to the Big O for the first time in a while on my lunch break last week and his show seemed to be geared towards an older crowd (I'm 29). The majority of what he talked about are concerts he attended in the 70s and 80s and lemonade from a sub shop on Bird Road.
He talks about everything but what he’s paid to talk about, which is sports. It’s annoying sometimes. Not saying never talk about non-sports stuff, but Big O takes it over the top with the concert ****. No one cares that you saw U2 for the 756th time, or that you attend 345756 concerts a month.

I have way too many subscription services as it is and am not willing to pay for information I can usually find for free on twitter and other social media. Perkins was awful in his last assignment and usually just quoted other local Miami writers. I have never received any info from him that I didn't already know. Maybe that was the card he was dealt at ESPN but....still not going to pay for him, big ZERO or any other Miami newspaper (who just started charging).

Back
Top Bottom