The Biggest Difference Between JF and AJF... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Biggest Difference Between JF and AJF...

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
I was in the middle of breaking down another game by our new QB, when I looked at my notes and realized I was writing the same things that I did in my last report.

Nothing changed, he still looked in control, confident, accurate, and he still had a great long ball (anything over thirty yards in the air)...Receivers still dropping balls that hit them right in both hands...and then it hit me what the difference was.

When Jay drops back to pass, even if you like the guy, you have to admit that your breathing stops just a little bit, until the play is over. It's always in the back of your mind that this pass may go the other way. It's never a fun feeling. Especially when he winds up and lets loose a rainbow the likes of which Key West has never seen.

When Feeley dropped back,it was different, I found myself hoping that he was going long. Probably because I wanted to see him do it for evaluation purposes but, the more I saw him complete these passes, the more confidence I had that he was going to give me something good to write about.

Maybe I wasn't emotionally involved. Maybe because it wasn't my team out there, I didn't have to be nervous. But I think I was.

I was involved because I wanted to see something good. If I had been sitting there seeing errant throws all day long, or in any of the other games, I would still be dreading his drop back, because I wouldn't want to report that I didn't like what I was seeing.

But it wasn't like that. Everytime he dropped back to pass I was thinking this one could go all the way.....not the other way.

That's the biggest difference.

You should see AJ in camp, everytime he drops back to pass in a scrimmage he looks lost and I'm worried he'll get sacked or throw an interception, he looks like Griese did last year. I'm just commenting on how he's done until now, and I'm not saying he won't be better in game situations, but right now I feel much better with Jay in there. AJ just looks too frazzled and unsure of himself which has been his biggest problem to date.

Finsflurry said:
You should see AJ in camp, everytime he drops back to pass in a scrimmage he looks lost and I'm worried he'll get sacked or throw an interception, he looks like Griese did last year. I'm just commenting on how he's done until now, and I'm not saying he won't be better in game situations, but right now I feel much better with Jay in there. AJ just looks too frazzled and unsure of himself which has been his biggest problem to date.
He looks lost because he doesn't know the system yet. He's probably thinking of where the receiver is going and when he's supposed to make the break, instead of 'knowing' when the WR is going to make the break. I say give him a chance. Feidler got 4 years, one year too many. Usually a QB gets three years to try and do something, Jay's time is past.

He looks lost because he doesn't know the system yet. He's probably thinking of where the receiver is going and when he's supposed to make the break, instead of 'knowing' when the WR is going to make the break. I say give him a chance. Feidler got 4 years, one year too many. Usually a QB gets three years to try and do something, Jay's time is past.

Of course that's the reason, I'm just stating what I see back there. I wouldn't expect him to come here and light the world afire, but I did expect better pocket presence and mobility. He has the Brian Griese lost in the headlights look, granted he gets a free pass because it's his first practices with the team, but it's not an encouraging sign however you look at it.

inFINSible said:
I was in the middle of breaking down another game by our new QB, when I looked at my notes and realized I was writing the same things that I did in my last report.

Nothing changed, he still looked in control, confident, accurate, and he still had a great long ball (anything over thirty yards in the air)...Receivers still dropping balls that hit them right in both hands...and then it hit me what the difference was.

When Jay drops back to pass, even if you like the guy, you have to admit that your breathing stops just a little bit, until the play is over. It's always in the back of your mind that this pass may go the other way. It's never a fun feeling. Especially when he winds up and lets loose a rainbow the likes of which Key West has never seen.

When Feeley dropped back,it was different, I found myself hoping that he was going long. Probably because I wanted to see him do it for evaluation purposes but, the more I saw him complete these passes, the more confidence I had that he was going to give me something good to write about.

Maybe I wasn't emotionally involved. Maybe because it wasn't my team out there, I didn't have to be nervous. But I think I was.

I was involved because I wanted to see something good. If I had been sitting there seeing errant throws all day long, or in any of the other games, I would still be dreading his drop back, because I wouldn't want to report that I didn't like what I was seeing.

But it wasn't like that. Everytime he dropped back to pass I was thinking this one could go all the way.....not the other way.

Actually, the biggest difference is one sucks and the other doesn't. :lol:

Finsflurry said:

Of course that's the reason, I'm just stating what I see back there. I wouldn't expect him to come here and light the world afire, but I did expect better pocket presence and mobility. He has the Brian Griese lost in the headlights look, granted he gets a free pass because it's his first practices with the team, but it's not an encouraging sign however you look at it.
It's no sign whatsoever, IMO....In game situations in an offense that he knew, he did fine. That's all I need to know.

inFINSible said:

C'mon man.............seriously, you can't even begin to compare the two situations to each other. You said it yourself, Feeley wasn't even our QB at the time and the team you were watching was the Eagles - not the Fins. And I'm supremely sure if this were two years ago you could've cared less because you would've been watching AJ Feely the 3rd stringer who was trying to help salvage the season till McNabb could come back, not AJ Feeley future Miami Dolphin.

That nervous feeling you speak of, I pretty much got that with every QB who's ever taken a snap for us when Danny wasn't in there........correction, most QB's. Scott Mitchell, Damon Huard, Brian Griese, Jay Fiedler, Doug Peterson, you name it. The only two who get a pass were Steve DeBerg and Bernie Kosar because they were proven veterans.

I just think we're taking pre-training camp comparisons way to far when we're going out on a limb examining how we feel about watching AJ playing for the Eagles and then contrasting it with how you feel when you watch Fiedler.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I don't.

Here's what I see....When Jay throws a short pass it's usually complete but, it's hardly ever thrown with perfect accuracy, it's always just a little off target......Take that same degree of innaccuracy and multiply it by 4o yards down field, and the pass is 5 yards off the mark.

Feeley's accuracy on the short passes is precise and thus his long passes become much more accurate on a regular basis than what I have seen from Jay.

What about this comparison is invalid? The "situation" has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

I don't think Feeley is going to come here and forget how to throw the ball.

enigmatics said:
C'mon man.............seriously, you can't even begin to compare the two situations to each other. You said it yourself, Feeley wasn't even our QB at the time and the team you were watching was the Eagles - not the Fins. And I'm supremely sure if this were two years ago you could've cared less because you would've been watching AJ Feely the 3rd stringer who was trying to help salvage the season till McNabb could come back, not AJ Feeley future Miami Dolphin.

That nervous feeling you speak of, I pretty much got that with every QB who's ever taken a snap for us when Danny wasn't in there........correction, most QB's. Scott Mitchell, Damon Huard, Brian Griese, Jay Fiedler, Doug Peterson, you name it. The only two who get a pass were Steve DeBerg and Bernie Kosar because they were proven veterans.

I just think we're taking pre-training camp comparisons way to far when we're going out on a limb examining how we feel about watching AJ playing for the Eagles and then contrasting it with how you feel when you watch Fiedler.

You're kidding me right? Wow not only are you smarter than every GM in the league, you actually know Infins better than he knows himself, wow who would have known, thanks for clearing that up. Hey you obviously dont read much do you? A) InFins got tapes from those gam,es and re watched them as an interested fin fan. B) what diff does whop he played for inregards to how he played? Get real and get informed.

I have no idea if AJ will be the man or not, I do have to add however, I saw all the games that AJ played at the time they were being played, and I remember thinking at that time I don't see what all the fuss is that was being made about him, he in my opinion hasd done nothing spectalular.

How this will equate to him as the starting QB for the Fins I will wait before I make a final opinion.

Just to add a player that I was impressed with was Kelly Holcomb I think he had a good pocket pressance and was very cool under pressure. He played a hell of a game in the playoffs against the Steelers. But Holcomb isn't the Fins QB so I guess that statement was pointless.

Lets just all hope that AJ can bring better QB play to the Fins then what they have had recently.

Finsflurry said:

That is not what your camp reports have been saying. Can we get some consistency?

Coach Dave Wannstedt on the improvement of new QB A.J. Feeley:

''There's no comparison,'' Wannstedt said. "You've seen practice. These three days, he's looked like a completely different guy compared to a month ago. And that's expected. I think the learning curve is all of a sudden beginning to show up from the standpoint of his knowledge of what we're trying to do.''

That is not what your camp reports have been saying. Can we get some consistency?

Umm actually I've been reporting his two biggest problems are his awareness/pocket presence and inconsistency. He has looked very frazzled in several scrimmages and only when he faces a rush, and has looked bad on several series.

Back
Top Bottom