The blame game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The blame game

Beckyj4

Practice Squad
Reaction score
A few observations from 2 Dolphin players, and the Media.

Sun-Sentinel

"The defense gave the Dolphins a chance to win late in the Colts game. But until then it had allowed two long touchdown drives in the second half of the 23-17 defeat.
Then Surtain (ankle) and Thomas (groin) missed the 31-7 loss to the Titans last weekend, when the defense gave up two first-quarter touchdowns, got no sacks or turnovers and continued its slide from the week before against the Colts.
Big plays are what the Dolphins sorely need from the offense. So perhaps the Dolphins will just have to stomach the bad plays by Newson -- **like the pass interference penalty and the deflected pass for an interception** against Tennessee -- while hoping for the big plays.
Thompson made a similar catch for another 31-yard gain against the Titans, but a holding penalty on Todd Wade negated the play. The Dolphins did little on offense the rest of the game."

Miami Herald

"**We have to rally around whoever is quarterbacking**, whoever is getting sacks, whatever DB gets an interception.'' Adewale Ogunleye

"The defense has made an attempt at providing the turning point for this season. In the face of an inconsistent offense, defensive end Rob Burnett told his teammates the defense could carry the team on its own."

"He was on the 2000 Ravens when that defense carried the team, and Burnett thought the Dolphins could work the same trick. But then the Titans lit the scoreboard with 31 points last week and the **defense found itself just as responsible for defeat."**

We constantly read Jay won games? One person does NOT win games. There were quite a few games in Denver that Brian Griese did NOT lose, where he did all in his power to help them win, but I have never said, "Brian" won the game. The team wins. PERIOD!

Some have brought up Kurt Warner as the 'ideal' replacement. WOW, I think they won one game in the last TWO years with him at QB. Lost all the rest. (Don't have time to look it up, so may be wrong.)

Another thing I seem to remember is that he was being sacked and losing fumbles a lot more often than Brian. Strange! They were both veterans on their respective teams....

Brian had a QB rating of 110, on a team on which he had only started 2 games, with no ground game to speak of. I see stats all over the place, then crying because "Stats mean nothing." I see a couple of Denver "fans" that come to your forum and tell all of you that your QB, the only one you have, is worthless and you thank them and BELIEVE they know what they are talking about.

A while back I read the "Jay" forum. There was a thread there that the poster had went back and watched the game with Denver from last year. (Sorry, I don't have time to go back and find it.) Hopefully he will read this and provide it.

Anyway, he had REwatched the game with an open mind, and suggested others do the same. Several did. They were all EXTREMELY impressed with Brian.

What really trips my trigger is, I am reading all sorts of accusations against Brian. Most of them from a couple of Denver "fans", that you are taking as Gospel. You could find the truth but that would entail a little "work" on your part and it is ever so much easier to make ONE person the 'fall guy'. Better yet, let Denver "fans" point out WHO should be YOUR fall guy.

I have watched every game over and over with key plays in slo-mo. IMHO, this gives me just a tiny bit more insight into what has happened on the field than a "fan" who claimed on Orangemane that she watches the games in Denver bars. Who also claims there were other fans there that she got into some pretty heated debates with..... WOW! Imagine that! Then she has the gall to say she has watched "Every Single Play!"

So, several Miami Fans continue to defend Brian. But a few have decided to make him the Scapegoat for everything that is wrong with your team and depend on a person who wrote a diatribe against Mike Anderson on YOUR Forum because he may, or may not have used 'weed'. With her, it is always guilty before being proven innocent. UNLESS it regards Terrell Davis and a Florida Nightclub. That is perfectly understandable behavior. A Veteran of Somalia, (Remember that place?) A guy that in the last 3 1/2 year has PROVEN his dedication to the TEAM, over and over, is a pariah because he may or may not have smoked some pot?

Brian has started the whole sum total of 3 games with your team. The last one is the only one to get your attention. Then you decide that the lack of Defense in the last two, is Brian's fault? Find a QB that doesn't have a bad game when the D does what Miami's did in the last game. He is coming from behind with Receivers who can't catch the ball, and no ground game. Just what is it you would have him do? I am really interested.

Posters have pointed out that the second half of the SD game would have had a better last half performance by Brian if not for dropped balls. IMAGINE THAT! ( I saw 5 in slo-mo) Those Posters are fighting a losing battle. I haven't had time to visit the forum much in the last couple of days but up until then, I was reading all over the place how Brian "had only one good half, and that was against SD". inferring that the lack of production in the second half was solely the fault of Brian Griese? Don't get the games where they are?

I congratulate those of you who realize this is a Team effort. One person can't do it alone. Someone admitted that Brian has, at the most, 3 seconds to get rid of the ball, so he should then get rid of it. (Paraphrase) I am an old lady and may not be as schooled in football as some of you, but doesn't he need someone to get rid of it, to? Complimenting every great QB, there is always a great Receiver or two. Plus a very good ground game. Look it up!

Originally posted by Beckyj4
A few observations from 2 Dolphin players, and the Media.

Alex Marvez
Dolphins/NFL writer
Dolphins 13, Ravens 12

DOLPHINS RUNNING GAME VS. RAVENS RUN DEFENSE:

Dolphins quarterback Brian Griese has experienced a brutal two-game stretch replacing the injured Jay Fiedler (knee), getting sacked nine times and losing four fumbles. Baltimore has limited its past three opponents to less than 187 passing yards and surrendered just one reception of more than 50 yards this season. Ex-University of Miami safety Ed Reed's five interceptions already match his total from last season. After surrendering six sacks in the past two games, rookie left tackle Wade Smith will probably get tested by blitzing Ravens linebackers Terrell Suggs (six sacks) and Peter Boulware (3.5). Edge: Ravens.

an observation of my own!:tongue:

Find a QB that doesn't have a bad game when the D does what Miami's did in the last game. He is ***coming from behind with Receivers who can't catch the ball, and no ground game***. Just what is it you would have him do? I am really interested.

Still waiting.

Hi Becky, yes your right when you make the statement that Brian right now is not totally at fault for the defensive woes, but he is starting for this team right now and we need him to succed. It's tough to come back form behind, but he is a passer none the less so he has that over jay.

It's just that when your 15 rank offense (total) plays against the Titans # 14 ranked defense, we figure we can score some points...

He came in against 2 of the best Offenses in the NFL right now, not including KC. He has not had time to get enough playing time with the recievers and as we know has not really adjusted to the OL. He needs some more playing time to adjust, but, this late in the season, we cannot afford the adjustment period.

I guess thats the main reason some of us are biting our nails. Some of us have given up hope on the season already...
I know that football is defintely a team sport.. but break downs occur, within the team. But if your are trying to say that Brian needs teammates that execute perfectly on every play to succed and get a team win....

Then IMO, he will have a tough time finding one team like that in the NFL..

I pray that the team will get better every week from now on....

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

Disnardo, No, I am not saying he needs teammates who execute perfectly on every play. All I am trying to say is, his job is to execute the passing game. With no time, and no one to pass the ball to and no ground game to take some of the pressure off, plus a Defense that definately wasn't playing up to potential the last 2 games, I am a bit bewildered that Brian is being singled out as the culprit.

I am wondering, again, just what it is that someone expects him to do under the above circumstances. I have seen some of the best QBs in the NFL have even worse games under the very same circumstances. I have no doubt that if Miami continues to lose games, Brian will not be there next year, but unless Miami fixes some of the rest of the problems, they aren't going to win consistently, even with the best QB in the NFL.

IMO, the rank doesn't matter as much as what the QB has to work with. I still believe John Elway was one of the best QBs ever. He still had to have good Receivers and the ground game to win it all. BTW, I saw some pretty awful performance from JE, but there was almost always a reason for it. If it isn't necessary for the rest of the team to play a halfway decent game then maybe they could just call it QB Battle? Sure would save the owners a lot of money...

I didn't see the last 2 games, but there are things that happened in the last one that I have seen over and over. The D allows a couple of scores, so the game plan changes. P by P shows that an already anemic rushing attack was all but abandoned. The line can't protect the QB, he has mediocre Receivers and is playing from behind. Seems like that would be too many strikes against WHOEVER is back there. I honestly cannot figure out why ANYONE should have even expected him to have a good game with such a stacked deck.

Maybe there is a QB in the NFL who could provide such a miracle. I have been watching since 1990 and have yet to see one. By the same token, I have seen many of the 'Greats', put up even worse numbers, playing the same cards. But the grass is always greener.....

BTW, sure is nice to see someone actually argue their view instead of just posting one liner insults. Thank you.

BTW, sure is nice to see someone actually argue their view instead of just posting one liner insults. Thank you.

Yeah but it was kinda of funny.

:D

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were auditioning Comics here. I thought this was a Football Forum. My mistake.

Actually, I can even find the comedy in insults that are directed at me IF they contain even an iota of intelligence relating to football. Must say, you seem to be seriously in need of microscopic crumbs to laugh at. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were auditioning Comics here. I thought this was a Football Forum. My mistake.

Actually, I can even find the comedy in insults that are directed at me IF they contain even an iota of intelligence relating to football. Must say, you seem to be seriously in need of microscopic crumbs to laugh at. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
no, whats funny is you pretending to be an expert and you probably have never held a football in your life!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by dolfan06
no, whats funny is you pretending to be an expert and you probably have never held a football in your life!:rolleyes:

OH! I SEE! I have no right to discuss football, since being a woman, I have never played the game. Of course you could prove your point a bit better by showing me where I was wrong. :D Might even get a bigger laugh out of it. Geez, I have to wonder why your didn't take that route since you are in to comedy so much. Think I muddled through and figured it out though.:rolleyes:

I am still waiting for that list of QBs who have had more success despite having all the same problems with his team. I wonder why it is that everytime I pose one of these questions, the insults start flowing again? Insults are the easy way out of an impossible situation I guess. But if that is the only way you can get your kicks, and feel macho, have at it. :D

Honest! You can continue to insult me at will. I am rather proud of my study of the game, so will just consider the source, until such a time as you can come up with answers to my post that show I am wrong. Happy hunting. ;)

Thank you for your last response becky. I guess that what we wanted to see from BG, or at least I wanted, was for him to at least move the team and score some points in the game like Sage did against thenn backups.

But I for one, dont think that being down by 21 points at the beginning of the third, the game was out of reach. I have seen many teams haver a terrrible 1st half and come back the second.

Remember we were down to Indi also and no running game, still we score 17 points and had a shot at wiining the game.

I know the D in this last game gave the TOP to Tenn in the first half, but again did nothing on O after the D adjusted and we had 4 opportunities do do something... you know the results.....

I guess frustration sets in after that. :rolleyes:

The Jay bahsers rather keep Brian in there than let Jay play. IMO they want the Finz to loose enough games so that MIA can get good draft picks in the draft next year. :rolleyes:

You know it is hard to win with this O unit, if they keep playing like they have. So alot of fans are hoping MIA gets a high pick for a QB. They know both QBs will be gone next year, at least some want to keep Brian and kick Jay's b*tt out of here, just because they hate his style.

Becky I hope you have a nice day.. :)

GOOO FIIINZ

Last edited by a moderator:

OH! I SEE! I have no right to discuss football, since being a woman, I have never played the game. Of course you could prove your point a bit better by showing me where I was wrong. :D Might even get a bigger laugh out of it. Geez, I have to wonder why your didn't take that route since you are in to comedy so much. Think I muddled through and figured it out though.:rolleyes:

I am still waiting for that list of QBs who have had more success despite having all the same problems with his team. I wonder why it is that everytime I pose one of these questions, the insults start flowing again? Insults are the easy way out of an impossible situation I guess. But if that is the only way you can get your kicks, and feel macho, have at it. :D

Honest! You can continue to insult me at will. I am rather proud of my study of the game, so will just consider the source, until such a time as you can come up with answers to my post that show I am wrong. Happy hunting. ;)
why don't you quit trying to label everything and trying to put words into peoples mouths. did i say anything about you being a woman, hell know. women are my favorite people. i said what i said because it sounded like you were reading from a book, not from experiences.

and you want a list of QB's that had the same problem,

lets start with billy kilmer or bill munsen. john hadl had a problem with holding on to the ball, roman gabriel was just big and stayed up to long and would get hit multiple times before he fumbled! :tongue:

i'm sorry if you don't know these names. they were major players when i was your age. roman gabriel played for the rams and probably had one of the strongest arms i've ever seen. a fantastic defense but no oline!

Thank you Disnado. You have a nice day too.

I think what frustrated a lot of Bronco fans was the playcalling when they were behind. Even knowing for a fact that they could come back, Shanahan still called some pretty dumb plays. I saw some of that again in their Monday nighter. Too many times, we saw what a difference it could make, even if the Tailback got next to no yards, if the attempt was made.

Someone mentioned, I have never held a football. Not true, I did a couple of times. Even threw one a few inches once. :lol: But then it dawned on me that if "I" knew they were going to pass, surely those guys on Defense who play football for a living, must know it too. In fact, I had figured that out in '98 in a game with Miami. P/R was 40/23 and Denver lost. They had lost their "perfect season" the week before to the Giants but the P/R was pretty close in that game.

JE had 161 yards and 2 Ints in the Miami game and that was with some pretty darn good receivers and a Pro Bowl Rusher that was out for the game. I didn't think it was JE's fault then and I don't think it is Brian's fault now. Since he is all Miami has at the moment it seems a bit self-destructive for the fans to keep tearing him down and blaming him for things over which he has NO control.

Actually, for those who suppose I am just a die hard fan of Brian, I have proven almost everything I have said about him on this forum. 3 times I showed you all proof that a Denver 'fan', had concocted stories she was telling you about him. I 'am' a fan, but certainly not without reason. But this Sunday, since there won't be the opportunity much longer, I am really hoping they Televise the Chargers game here. I can safely say I would rather watch Doug Flutie play, than any other player I have ever seen. Let the insults begin. ;)

Becky no insult from me ... Flutie has heart and always wears it on his sleeve.

GOOO FIIINZ

Originally posted by Disnardo
Becky no insult from me ... Flutie has heart and always wears it on his sleeve.

GOOO FIIINZ

It isn't just his heart though. I think they were playing the Jetswhen he was with Buffalo. At one point, he jumped up, spun around in mid air and delivered a perfect pass. I love his 'escapes' also.

Sure is nice talking to you. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom