The Bottom Line that isn't Talked About . . . Was Ross On Board? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Bottom Line that isn't Talked About . . . Was Ross On Board?

ATL_PHIN_FAN

Winner Under Construction
Reaction score
Was Ross consulted BEFORE the Tunsil trade and subsequent roster churning just before the season? This is never talked about, hence the thread.

Personally? I think there's really no way to be sure, but my vibe is that I he was. Neither Grier nor Flores strike me as foolish or suicidal, career wise. Thoughts?

SORRY! Please move to a normal thread?

For all of the Stephen Ross hating that appears here on FH, the reality is that he tends to not be an interventionist owner like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder. His natural inclination appears to be to let his football people make their decisions and if over a period of time they don't make enough good ones, then they become vulnerable. I have no doubt that he was fully informed re the monster trade for Tunsil and Stills (as he should be) and for the deal to get consummated, I assume that he had to be on board. At the end of the day, he is paying for everyone (players, coaches, GM personnel) in the organization.

Of course he is.....multiple reasons tearing down something the doesn't work, to a pure profitability perspective. We wins either way....

Now whether or not he ever admits to having it both ways....well I wouldn't expect to hear that.

Of course he is.....multiple reasons tearing down something the doesn't work, to a pure profitability perspective. We wins either way....

Now whether or not he ever admits to having it both ways....well I wouldn't expect to hear that.

Yeah, I think he's doing that to purposely put enormous pressure on Grier and Flores to show what they can do. Yet leaving the door open to get rid of either if he's not satisfied with initial results.

I have to admit I never thought it was going to be this bad. I thought we’d see a tough competitive football team that just wouldn’t have enough horses to win many games. Instead this is looking like a team that CANT win any games. Even the players I thought may be good sucked last week. I’m all for getting the QB but this product is pathetic.

Of course he was on board. He signed off on the tank and even suggested that in the preseason. He worked hard to lower expectations. He's too far down the rabbit hole now to try to force the coaches to be competitive this year. Of course he's on board.

I think giving Flores a 5 year contract answers whether Ross was on board or not.

I wonder if all 5 years are guaranteed? Probably not for a first time, unproven coach. But yeah, that 5 year contract was probably a way to show some commitment.

I wonder if all 5 years are guaranteed? Probably not for a first time, unproven coach. But yeah, that 5 year contract was probably a way to show some commitment.
Yes they are guaranteed, and so no, Flores won’t be going anywhere for a while. Not that he can’t be fired at will, but it would take something a lot more significant than losing big during a season in which the game plan is to lose in order for Ross to give him the boot and have to pay him for years to come. Ross doesn’t know football, and I question whether he even really likes it. He loves his money though.

Stephen Ross is an 80 year old man who is worth around $8 billion. The Dolphins are not doing what they're doing for this year's profits to be better than they otherwise would. To the extent he wants to make the most money possible, it will be when he or his heirs sell the team, and you get a better price by having an organization that is a sustainable winner, especially that has a franchise QB. Not a perpetual 7-9 zombie.

Clearly the guy paying all of these salaries was on board. This tank was likely backed by some form of strategic financial plan:

For example:
2019-2020 - $X million revenue lost from going 0-16 or at best 4-12.
2020-2021 - $Y million revenue made up from fan attendance rebounding and Tua merchandise sales
2021+ - $Z million revenue above 2018 due to fan attendance, merchandise, and the increased chance for a home playoff game or two.

Stephen Ross is an 80 year old man who is worth around $8 billion. The Dolphins are not doing what they're doing for this year's profits to be better than they otherwise would. To the extent he wants to make the most money possible, it will be when he or his heirs sell the team, and you get a better price by having an organization that is a sustainable winner, especially that has a franchise QB. Not a perpetual 7-9 zombie.

Hang around the PEG (private equity group) guys and one soon discovers they have a plan (or try to) to every contingency including their own errors in judgment.

Back
Top Bottom