The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends

MrChadRico

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I feel like this topic needs to be addressed as we very well could draft Kyle Pitts. Who is my preference at #6 in the draft.

Tight ends are not like running backs and wide recivers when it comes to production early on in their carrers.

First example is Veron Davis, who has very similar measurables comming out of college. Davis's start to his career......

Year 1: 20 Rec. 265 Yards. 3 TDs.
Year 2: 52 Rec. 509 Yards. 4 TDs

Second let's look at another Pro who has been compared to Pitts...... Darren Waller.

Year 1: 2 Rec. 18 Yards. 0 TDs
Year 2: 10 Rec. 85 Yards. 2 TDs.
Year 3: 6 Rec. 75 Yards. 0 TDs

Third lets look at Travis Kelcie.

Year 1: 0 Rec. 0 Yards 0 TDs.... only played in 1 game.

One more for s**** and giggles. Jason Witten.

Year 1: 35 Rec. 347 Yards. 1 TD

I'm bringing up this rather alarming metaphoric bucket of cold water, to warn everyone that Pitts may take a year or two to really become the player alot of us think he will be. Its not nessesarly a bad thing, but the Pitts hype train is starting to gain so much momentum that im worried some of our fanbase doesn't realize this very normal aspect about drafting a tight end.

If we take Pitts, we need to be realistic with our expectations early on.

He’s a jumbo WR
No, hes a Tight end.

Terrell Ownes and Calvin Johnson were Jumbo wide recivers. Pitts will play TE. He may line up outside sometimes but he is not a WR.

If its instant production right away, the safest weapon in this draft is Jamar Chase, followed by Smith and Waddle. Pitts will be great, I have little doubt of that but he won't make the impact in year 1 most of FH posters will be expecting. History tells us this, hence why I made this thread.

I agree, it’s gonna take MINIMUM a year to get acclimated. TE is a tough position because you are esentially learning 2 positions. TE and Oline and both are very difficult in their own right.

Who is going to have the best career? Whoever that guy is, I want him.

But I don't know how much this rule applies to Pitts considering non of the TE's you referenced produced anywhere in the same ballpark as Pitts did as a reciever in college.

Pitts 96 ypg, 12 TD (8 games)
Davis 79 ypg, 6 TD (11)
Waller 44 ypg, 6 TD (10)
Kelce 56 ypg, 8 TD (13)
Witten 40 ypg, 5 TD (13)

And considering his already small sample size, it should be mentioned that Pitts sat out the 2nd half of the Georgia game after his injury. So it was really only 7.5 games, and more like 103 ypg.

And even if Pitts does end up taking a year or two to develop. He's so young he'll be the same age as Smith and Waddle when he's entering his 3rd year?

Last edited:
I think this applies less to Pitts not because he's a WR but because he has WR polish and skill. As a rookie, he's not going to be as good as he will be, but he should be good right away. His ability to separate, his unreal coordination, and his ball skills should produce early success. Everyone knows you don't draft TE early, and everyone who has watched Pitts knows that he's different. TE's don't make blue-chip CB's look silly. It just doesn't happen - until Kyle Pitts.

No, hes a Tight end.

Terrell Ownes and Calvin Johnson were Jumbo wide recivers. Pitts will play TE. He may line up outside sometimes but he is not a WR.

If its instant production right away, the safest weapon in this draft is Jamar Chase, followed by Smith and Waddle. Pitts will be great, I have little doubt of that but he won't make the impact in year 1 most of FH posters will be expecting. History tells us this, hence why I made this thread.
Actually Miami seems to like lining up TE in the slot quite often.

I don’t understand the obsession with needing to be great right out of the gate of a rookie season. If the player becomes a great player, I could live with a little bit of a struggle during his rookie year. Results as a rookie does not a career make. Good or bad.

I don’t understand the obsession with needing to be great right out of the gate of a rookie season. If the player becomes a great player, I could live with a little bit of a struggle during his rookie year. Results as a rookie does not a career make. Good or bad.
I agree but then why has this board not given Igbo the same consideration for being a rookie? Many have called him “a bust” and a “wasted pick” for not blowing up his rookie year, playing the toughest position on the field. Sounds a little hypocritical to me.

I mean various people here have called Tua (5), Jackson (18) and/or Igbinoghene (30) busts after their rookie season. If we draft a TE 6th overall and he takes a few seasons to have success I’m sure the “fans” (allegedly) will turn on him as well.

I agree but then why has this board not given Igbo the same consideration for being a rookie? Many have called him “a bust” and a “wasted pick” for not blowing up his rookie year, playing the toughest position on the field. Sounds a little hypocritical to me.
Psst...

The ones who say that aren't especially adult.

Shhhh....

I think Igbo gets the short stick because many posters here didn't particularly care for the pick, and his poor play has reinforced their initial perception of the pick.

Forget that, Pitts needs to play like a HOF player starting with his first pre season game.........in al reality, people here will see what they want to see. Some people would turn on him right away....other people will say he needs time while at the same time they say Tua sucks and 9 games proves that.........people see what they want to see.

P.S. This might not matter anyway cause he might not be there at 6

Not me. I have not been critical of Igbinoghene at all. I also can't believe how fast many have made judgements about Tua's career based off of only nine games of his rookie season. It's crazy.

Back
Top Bottom