The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends

No one has called him a bust but most of us who have questioned Igbo, have questioned if he should have been a first round draft pick. My personal view of players taken in round one are players who should be able to come in and contribute immediately.

Igbo was forced to play early in the year because of an injury to Jones and he obviously wasn’t ready to play in the NFL. Once Jones returned to the lineup, Igbo couldn’t even beat out Needham for the slot CB position and Needham was an UDFA in 2019.

Perhaps Igbo will develop into a decent player in the NFL but the Dolphins need players who they draft in the early rounds to contribute far more than Igbo did in his rookie season. He can’t be considered a bust at this stage of his career but his rookie season can certainly be considered a major disappointment considering he was a first round draft pick.
Why? Patrick Mahomes played one game in his rookie season. You don't draft players based on them being finished products. You draft them based on what they can ultimately be if they reach their full potential. That's why guys that are the most physically gifted get drafted ahead of guys who were more productive in college.

I feel like this topic needs to be addressed as we very well could draft Kyle Pitts. Who is my preference at #6 in the draft.

Tight ends are not like running backs and wide recivers when it comes to production early on in their carrers.

First example is Veron Davis, who has very similar measurables comming out of college. Davis's start to his career......

Year 1: 20 Rec. 265 Yards. 3 TDs.
Year 2: 52 Rec. 509 Yards. 4 TDs

Second let's look at another Pro who has been compared to Pitts...... Darren Waller.

Year 1: 2 Rec. 18 Yards. 0 TDs
Year 2: 10 Rec. 85 Yards. 2 TDs.
Year 3: 6 Rec. 75 Yards. 0 TDs

Third lets look at Travis Kelcie.

Year 1: 0 Rec. 0 Yards 0 TDs.... only played in 1 game.

One more for s**** and giggles. Jason Witten.

Year 1: 35 Rec. 347 Yards. 1 TD

I'm bringing up this rather alarming metaphoric bucket of cold water, to warn everyone that Pitts may take a year or two to really become the player alot of us think he will be. Its not nessesarly a bad thing, but the Pitts hype train is starting to gain so much momentum that im worried some of our fanbase doesn't realize this very normal aspect about drafting a tight end.

If we take Pitts, we need to be realistic with our expectations early on.
This is a very valid point. Pitts could have a tremendous rookie season but it wouldn't only be an anomaly but it'd be unprecedented. To deny that is willful ignorance.

If drafted I'd hope he has a solid contribution his rookie year and also opens up the field for other players. That wouldn't show up on the stat sheet but would justify his draft position.
He’s not a true tight end only....this is a megtron receiver.

The more I think about it, I don't see us getting Pitts. Already having Gesicki means we don't need to get an bring in another TE. Some people have mentioned that you can run 2 TE offensive formations similar to what NE has done in the past. This seems like more of a fitting a scheme to a player rather than the player to a scheme. Dolphins dropping to 6 only means they are looking at the 3 top WR (Chase, Smith and Waddle) and with the first 3 picks being QBs they are guaranteed one of them. To me Pitts not being selected is a foregone conclusion so I wouldn't be surprised if he is available and we still go with 1 of the top receivers.

Any thoughts?

Why? Patrick Mahomes played one game in his rookie season. You don't draft players based on them being finished products. You draft them based on what they can ultimately be if they reach their full potential. That's why guys that are the most physically gifted get drafted ahead of guys who were more productive in college.
Mahomes only played one game in his rookie season because the Chiefs were a playoff team with Smith as their QB. It had absolutely nothing to do with Mahomes not being ready to play in his rookie season. Mahomes showed in his one start that he was ready to be the starter for the Chiefs and that is why the Chiefs traded Smith after Mahomes rookie season.

Again, I never stated that Igbo won’t eventually become a decent player in the NFL but I still think he was drafted much higher than he should have been drafted. Especially when the Dolphins had bigger needs on their roster than CB when they selected him. All the top RB’s were still on the board and they ended up with none of those RB’s while selecting a CB who didn’t contribute at all during his rookie season.

If Igbo had been a third or fourth round pick, I would understand him having to take a few years to develop. I just expect more from a first round draft pick than he delivered.

The Dolphins have drafted many players in the latter part of the first round over the years and rarely have any of these picks developed into anything more than a mediocre player at best. So while I hope Igbo will not just be a mediocre player going forward, I will be looking for him to take a giant step forward in 2021.

I feel like this topic needs to be addressed as we very well could draft Kyle Pitts. Who is my preference at #6 in the draft.

Tight ends are not like running backs and wide recivers when it comes to production early on in their carrers.

First example is Veron Davis, who has very similar measurables comming out of college. Davis's start to his career......

Second let's look at another Pro who has been compared to Pitts...... Darren Waller.

I'm bringing up this rather alarming metaphoric bucket of cold water, to warn everyone that Pitts may take a year or two to really become the player alot of us think he will be. Its not nessesarly a bad thing, but the Pitts hype train is starting to gain so much momentum that im worried some of our fanbase doesn't realize this very normal aspect about drafting a tight end.

......and We'll Never Know if He's the next Gronk, Kelce, Gonzalez, if We don't pull the trigger. WE HAVE TO IMO,"If" He's there at 6!!!

The more I think about it, I don't see us getting Pitts. Already having Gesicki means we don't need to get an bring in another TE. Some people have mentioned that you can run 2 TE offensive formations similar to what NE has done in the past. This seems like more of a fitting a scheme to a player rather than the player to a scheme. Dolphins dropping to 6 only means they are looking at the 3 top WR (Chase, Smith and Waddle) and with the first 3 picks being QBs they are guaranteed one of them. To me Pitts not being selected is a foregone conclusion so I wouldn't be surprised if he is available and we still go with 1 of the top receivers.

Any thoughts?
I don’t think they will draft Pitts because I believe the Falcons will select Pitts unless the Falcons trade out of the 4th pick. As far as Gesicki is concerned, it won’t surprise me if the 2021 season isn’t his last season in Miami. Unless Gesicki improves in his run blocking and he has a more productive year in the passing game, I just don’t know if the Dolphins will be willing to pay him what he thinks he’s worth.

I think he will likely be asking for a contract which will pay him what the top TE’s in the league are being paid and I just don’t know if the Dolphins value him at that level right now. It is up to Gesicki to show the Dolphins he is one of the best TE’s in the league during the 2021 season or his future will be with another NFL team after the season if his contract demands are too high based on his production.

It’s all about game planning. Pitts creates a defensive nightmare with Gesicki, Park and Fuller. He might not have huge production but he is doing to help others come open.

Oh
No one has called him a bust but most of us who have questioned Igbo, have questioned if he should have been a first round draft pick. My personal view of players taken in round one are players who should be able to come in and contribute immediately.

Igbo was forced to play early in the year because of an injury to Jones and he obviously wasn’t ready to play in the NFL. Once Jones returned to the lineup, Igbo couldn’t even beat out Needham for the slot CB position and Needham was an UDFA in 2019.

Perhaps Igbo will develop into a decent player in the NFL but the Dolphins need players who they draft in the early rounds to contribute far more than Igbo did in his rookie season. He can’t be considered a bust at this stage of his career but his rookie season can certainly be considered a major disappointment considering he was a first round draft pick.
Oh yes they have
Obviously I haven’t read every post on this forum so I have missed the posts calling Igbo a bust. While I don’t think you can call any player a bust after just one year in the league. I think calling him a disappointment after his rookie season is more appropriate.

I certainly haven’t given up on him but he does need to vastly improve next season or those you claim have already called him a bust might be on to something.
Well you must have forgotten that he was not drafted for a position of need, and from day one was sitting behind two very good vets, one an All Pro.

I don’t think they will draft Pitts because I believe the Falcons will select Pitts unless the Falcons trade out of the 4th pick. As far as Gesicki is concerned, it won’t surprise me if the 2021 season isn’t his last season in Miami. Unless Gesicki improves in his run blocking and he has a more productive year in the passing game, I just don’t know if the Dolphins will be willing to pay him what he thinks he’s worth.

I think he will likely be asking for a contract which will pay him what the top TE’s in the league are being paid and I just don’t know if the Dolphins value him at that level right now. It is up to Gesicki to show the Dolphins he is one of the best TE’s in the league during the 2021 season or his future will be with another NFL team after the season if his contract demands are too high based on his production.
I’d bet my next paycheck that the Falcons are taking a QB or trading that pick to a QB needy team. Matt Ryan’s cap number is 48M next year.

Apparently it’s only MD players who are busts if they aren’t all pro their rookie year. I’ve heard the bust label attached to Tua, Hunt, Jackson, Igbo and even Raykwon Davis.

Mahomes only played one game in his rookie season because the Chiefs were a playoff team with Smith as their QB. It had absolutely nothing to do with Mahomes not being ready to play in his rookie season. Mahomes showed in his one start that he was ready to be the starter for the Chiefs and that is why the Chiefs traded Smith after Mahomes rookie season.

Again, I never stated that Igbo won’t eventually become a decent player in the NFL but I still think he was drafted much higher than he should have been drafted. Especially when the Dolphins had bigger needs on their roster than CB when they selected him. All the top RB’s were still on the board and they ended up with none of those RB’s while selecting a CB who didn’t contribute at all during his rookie season.

If Igbo had been a third or fourth round pick, I would understand him having to take a few years to develop. I just expect more from a first round draft pick than he delivered.

The Dolphins have drafted many players in the latter part of the first round over the years and rarely have any of these picks developed into anything more than a mediocre player at best. So while I hope Igbo will not just be a mediocre player going forward, I will be looking for him to take a giant step forward in 2021.
Igbinoghene was drafted with the uncertainty of how Howard was going to respond from his injury. Howard happened to be healthy so obviously Igbinoghene wouldn't be playing over an all-pro cornerback and the highest paid free agent cornerback Byron jones on the other side. Igbinoghene was drafted on his potential with an eye toward the future. Cornerbacks, in this era, are an invaluable and it is not a luxury to have at least three corners that can play at a high level. As far as the running back thing, it would have been way more foolish to have spent a first round pick on a running back then on a third cornerback. There was only one running back taken in the first round last year and that was with the last pick by Kansas City and he ended up being the worst of the lot. I would take any of the other running backs taken in the next two rounds over Clyde Edward Helaire.

I agree but then why has this board not given Igbo the same consideration for being a rookie? Many have called him “a bust” and a “wasted pick” for not blowing up his rookie year, playing the toughest position on the field. Sounds a little hypocritical to me.
Because lots of people are stupid.

Igbinoghene was drafted with the uncertainty of how Howard was going to respond from his injury. Howard happened to be healthy so obviously Igbinoghene wouldn't be playing over an all-pro cornerback and the highest paid free agent cornerback Byron jones on the other side. Igbinoghene was drafted on his potential with an eye toward the future. Cornerbacks, in this era, are an invaluable and it is not a luxury to have at least three corners that can play at a high level. As far as the running back thing, it would have been way more foolish to have spent a first round pick on a running back then on a third cornerback. There was only one running back taken in the first round last year and that was with the last pick by Kansas City and he ended up being the worst of the lot. I would take any of the other running backs taken in the next two rounds over Clyde Edward Helaire.
Yep

Back
Top Bottom