The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends

I think i
I think so too. And its just about a perfect scenario - Pitts gets a year to develop, Gesicki can ball out in a contract year, sign somewhere else and maybe we get a comp pick
I think it’s very possible if we draft Pitts or Chase that we trade Gesicki or Parker. It would be a very Bellichick thing to do.

Which is why he needs to be drafted now to give us options if Gesicki wants big money.

Even with Gesicki and other TEs, this team has not had a truly offense-changing TE in the modern era. We've had some good TEs. But nothing that has transformed our team's identity. They've always complemented the offense.

We were on the precipice once with Dustin Keller. He and RT were forming a special relationship in the preseason when that was cut terribly short. And we never again went back to that possibility.

Pitts could forever change Tua's trajectory.

I agree that is one option, depending upon how they work out playing together.

On the other hand if it were highly effective, it would be unlike anything defenses would have faced before.
See Gronk/Hernandez

I agree with what you are saying but I was replying to someone saying that we should not change our scheme to fit the payer, we should pick a player that fits our scheme. He fits our scheme and opens up alot of possibilities for us.
Ive always felt that "scheme fit" was far more important for defense.

On offense, you adapt the scheme to your player's strengths, within overall philosophy. Gase repeatedly tried to pound square pegs into round holes.

Yes, you can draft players that fit what you need, but when you have players with specific strengths/weaknesses (99% do), you have to adapt.

MG is a t
Which is why he needs to be drafted now to give us options if Gesicki wants big money.

Even with Gesicki and other TEs, this team has not had a truly offense-changing TE in the modern era. We've had some good TEs. But nothing that has transformed our team's identity. They've always complemented the offense.

We were on the precipice once with Dustin Keller. He and RT were forming a special relationship in the preseason when that was cut terribly short. And we never again went back to that possibility.

Pitts could forever change Tua's trajectory.
MG is a top 10 TE. He will want big money.

See Gronk/Hernandez
I don't see that comparison, but whatever, others have said it as well.

I was speaking in the context of here and now. I doubt there are many defenders still around from then, and even those that may be, are most certainly not playing the same antiquated defensive schemes.

I agree with that concept too lol

I've heard people say it couldnt work because theyre both huge receivers, but I do think Pitts ability to block isnt that bad
It depends what you are asking them to do.

Ppl often go overboard with MGs lack of blocking ability, IMO.

He isn't going to be a dominant power run blocker, but he isn't that bad at chips, max protect pass pro, etc.

If he were as horrible as some purport, why are they also projecting him as getting top TE money as a FA?

I can't reconcile the two.

Pitts is the pick, Gesicki can kick rocks.

Let's see we draft a TE at the 6th pick, predict it may take up to 3 years to see some production, add in the concussion concerns, take into consideration the complaints over Iggy not contributing with the 32nd pick in the first round, plus the need for a impact player at reciever that was missing last year that cost Tua some games. Well I see where this is going. Hum

Pitts just cannot get us the chunk plays and points like Smith or Waddle can.

He’s a fun piece, but not at the expense of Smith or Waddle. Tight ends do not translate easily to the NFL, and often take years to develop.

Strong pass on Pitts for me

1-Rookies are rookies regardless of position and they all need time to adjust to the speed of the game. 2-you either trust our FO and college scouting dept or you don’t. I think there will be some major crow eating by MD fans on Igbo, Jackson, Hunt, Kindley and Tua. I mean MAJOR.

Rookie tight ends, even the best ones, take years to develop.

Rookie wide receivers on the other hand, often impact well very early on. There is a reason why the franchise tag dollars are the lowest of all positions outside of special teams

Pitts will have over 1,000 receiving yards if he plays the full season as a rookie. He will also line up in the slot, wide, and be used to shift or motion more than he lines up Tight on the line with his hand down.

Oh

Oh yes they have

Well you must have forgotten that he was not drafted for a position of need, and from day one was sitting behind two very good vets, one an All Pro.
I didn’t forget that at all and that is exactly why I think he was a wasted pick in the first round. The Dolphins had needs at RB, WR, and at safety and instead they used that pick on a player you admit plays a position which was not a need in last years draft.

If drafting a player in the first round to sit behind two other players while you have big needs at other positions makes sense to you, I guess I just don’t get it. So we just have to agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom