The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends

I don’t understand the obsession with needing to be great right out of the gate of a rookie season. If the player becomes a great player, I could live with a little bit of a struggle during his rookie year. Results as a rookie does not a career make. Good or bad.
If he is not great right out of the gate, you know what the excuse will be. It's all Tua's fault and he sucks and we need to replace him. That will be what the fans and the media will say.

The more I think about it, I don't see us getting Pitts. Already having Gesicki means we don't need to get an bring in another TE. Some people have mentioned that you can run 2 TE offensive formations similar to what NE has done in the past. This seems like more of a fitting a scheme to a player rather than the player to a scheme. Dolphins dropping to 6 only means they are looking at the 3 top WR (Chase, Smith and Waddle) and with the first 3 picks being QBs they are guaranteed one of them. To me Pitts not being selected is a foregone conclusion so I wouldn't be surprised if he is available and we still go with 1 of the top receivers.

Any thoughts?
Have you considered the fact that MGs contract is expiring, and will likely command top TE type money in FA, or to resign?

In that context, drafting Pitts would make sense.

I wouldn't bet the house on what Grier/Flo have in mind, but I certainly don't see is as "black and white" as you suggest.

Some people have mentioned that you can run 2 TE offensive formations similar to what NE has done in the past. This seems like more of a fitting a scheme to a player rather than the player to a scheme.

Any thoughts?

Playing 2 TE's and 1 RB on the field at the same time is called 12 personnel. The Dolphins ran more 12 personnel than any other team in the NFL last year.

So he does fit our scheme perfectly.

Last edited:
I'd be totally fine with pitts being the pick but for people talking about two TE's sets, stop for a second and consider neither Gesicki nor Pitts is a great blocker so if you have both of them out there at the same time the defense will know you're not running the ball. Stop comparing these two to Gronk and Hernandez. Grock was/is a great blocker and Hernandez was a better blocker than both Pitts and Gesicki.

When you run a two TE set the ideal is to have at least one of them being a good/great blocker. That way you can either run the ball or throw it without the other team knowing what you're going to do. Again, I'd be totally happy with Pitts being the pick but that should have nothing to do with two TE's sets. I can really see the team trading MG if Pitts is the pick at 6.

Playing 2 TE's and 1 RB on the field at the same time is called 12 personnel. The Dolphins ran more 12 personnel than any other team in the NFL last year.

So he does fit our scheme perfectly.
Perhaps they did, but I wouldn't read too much into that.

Whenever MG works from the slot, or less often wide, yes technically it's 12 personel, but not a typical 12 formation.

I'm not saying you can't effectively use them together, only that the stat may be misleading, when Smythe and MG are out there.

Last edited:
I'd be totally fine with pitts being the pick but for people talking about two TE's sets, stop for a second and consider neither Gesicki nor Pitts is a great blocker so if you have both of them out there at the same time the defense will know you're not running the ball. Stop comparing these two to Gronk and Hernandez. Grock was/is a great blocker and Hernandez was a better blocker than both Pitts and Gesicki.

When you run a two TE set the ideal is to have at least one of them being a good/great blocker. That way you can either run the ball or throw it without the other team knowing what you're going to do. Again, I'd be totally happy with Pitts being the pick but that should have nothing to do with two TE's sets. I can really see the team trading MG if Pitts is the pick at 6.
So many posters on this board are fan boys of Fla teams and therefore believe their guys are the best picks for the MD. They aren’t. If we draft Pitts, and that’s a big if, I look at him as a replacement for Gesicki and not a tandem deal. MG is in the last year of his rookie deal and I just can’t see us expending that many resources on two similar players. Like you said you can’t have two non-blocking TEs.

There is merit to your arguement, but it is more dependent on alignments, than the technical term for the personnel package, IMO, particularly with RPO packages.

I could actually see us with 3 TEs on the field in some situations. Then what does the defense do for substitution? Base?.....good. Extra DBs?.......fine.

It would be interesting, and require some innovation, but I can see quite a few effective possibilities.

The more I think about it, I don't see us getting Pitts. Already having Gesicki means we don't need to get an bring in another TE. Some people have mentioned that you can run 2 TE offensive formations similar to what NE has done in the past. This seems like more of a fitting a scheme to a player rather than the player to a scheme. Dolphins dropping to 6 only means they are looking at the 3 top WR (Chase, Smith and Waddle) and with the first 3 picks being QBs they are guaranteed one of them. To me Pitts not being selected is a foregone conclusion so I wouldn't be surprised if he is available and we still go with 1 of the top receivers.

Any thoughts?
HIGHLY possible

So many posters on this board are fan boys of Fla teams and therefore believe their guys are the best picks for the MD. They aren’t. If we draft Pitts, and that’s a big if, I look at him as a replacement for Gesicki and not a tandem deal. MG is in the last year of his rookie deal and I just can’t see us expending that many resources on two similar players. Like you said you can’t have two non-blocking TEs.
I think so too. And its just about a perfect scenario - Pitts gets a year to develop, Gesicki can ball out in a contract year, sign somewhere else and maybe we get a comp pick

Perhaps they did, but I wouldn't read too much into that.

Whenever MG works from tge slot, or less often wide, yes technically it's 12 personel, but not a typical 12 formation.

I'm not saying you can't effectively use them together, only that the stat may be misleading, when Smythe and MG are out there.

I agree with what you are saying but I was replying to someone saying that we should not change our scheme to fit the payer, we should pick a player that fits our scheme. He fits our scheme and opens up alot of possibilities for us.

He’s not a true tight end only....this is a megtron receiver.
Comparing him to one of the best WRs to ever play is a bit much at this point, don't you think? Let the kid play a snap in the nfl before you compare him to a HOF guy in a different position. I see what you're getting at regarding body type, but Pitts is a TE which means he'll do TE things like blocking in line. Even if he only does that 20% of the time that's taking 20% of snaps away from pass catching opportunity. So yeah, that'll make an impact on his production.

Also, Johnson only had 750 or so yards his rookie year. Good rookie year but not lights out by any stretch.

Also, for the record, I don't hate Pitts as the selection at 6. I just think we as fans need to have our eyes open if it does happen. First RD TEs bust at a high rate and TEs in general take a couple seasons to take off. This pick wouldn't be instant lightning in a bottle.

I think so too. And its just about a perfect scenario - Pitts gets a year to develop, Gesicki can ball out in a contract year, sign somewhere else and maybe we get a comp pick
I agree that is one option, depending upon how they work out playing together.

On the other hand if it were highly effective, it would be unlike anything defenses would have faced before.

I agree that is one option, depending upon how they work out playing together.

On the other hand if it were highly effective, it would be unlike anything defenses would have faced before.
I agree with that concept too lol

I've heard people say it couldnt work because theyre both huge receivers, but I do think Pitts ability to block isnt that bad

Back
Top Bottom