The Cost Of Doing Business? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Cost Of Doing Business?

I guess whatever you were smoking when you read my post.

I never even used the word "draft", let alone made a value judgment on how well they have drafted.

But don't let the literal words in my post derail your agenda.
My only agenda is to get past the hump we haven't been able to for the past 24 years

I agree and I certainly like that last bit. I too appreciate that Grier is bold. At the very least, it does make things interesting.

And TBH, the failure of this past rebuild was really (1) injuries and (2) drafting in the mid-rounds, neither of which are direct downsides of being bold.

A lot of the best available options were injured guys. Chubb and Armstead had both battled injury in their careers, rarely if ever playing a full season. Both Tua and Phillips had concussions in college and were seen as major question marks more for health reasons than performance.

Injury was just our cross to bare. It never seemed like we were given great options. We just had to take the risk(s) we did. It is what it is.

Still, it does feel like our past window has closed. We built up the roster and replaced the HC to try and capitalize on the "QB on a rookie contract" thing. For whatever it's worth, we gave it a good run but came up short.

It sure feels like 2024 is the beginning of another rebuild.
Good post.

I believe it's going to be hard to have a net gain in talent for the 2024 season. Not impossible, but Miami is going to lose some good players.

What may, and hopefully, work in the Dolphins favor is a lot of young guys could elevate their games. Year three in the same system should help.

Of course, Miami could hit big in the draft and find a difference maker. Just never know.

Last edited:
Good post.

I believe it's going to be hard to have a net gain in talent for the 2024 season. Not impossible, but Miami is going to lose some good players.

What may, and hopefully, works in the Dolphins favor is a lot of young guys could elevate their games. Year three in the sane system should help.

Of course, Miami could hit big in the draft and find a difference maker. Just never know.
I could also hit it big with Sarah Banks too! Haha. Jk. All joking aside, I don't think Grier has hit on one big difference maker in the draft. A lot of average to good players, but not a difference maker. I guess Achane could be one in the making though but jury still out. We must pray to the football God's he finally does hit one this year!

If the acquisition of Bradley Chubb is what stops you from over-paying for Christian Wilkins who's just not a disruptive DT game-in, game-out then it's probably a good thing.

Wilkins looks much more like a Jarvis Landry / Olivier Vernon type of player (i.e. good but not worth breaking the bank for when someone else comes along to makes that mistake). We should not be chasing our own guys. Either they want to be here and will sign a team-friendly deal or else, goodbye.

The idea that we'd be the highest bidder for our own talent is embarrassingly absurd.

Adversity is opportunity. If you're willing to suck it up and make the tough decisions in 2024 you can absolutely come back from what is merely a short-term depression. Moving on from X, dodging the bullet of over-paying for Wilkins and forcing the offense to go out and win some games on it's own can all be big parts of how this teams turns a corner.

I could also hit it big with Sarah Banks too! Haha. Jk. All joking aside, I don't think Grier has hit on one big difference maker in the draft. A lot of average to good players, but not a difference maker. I guess Achane could be one in the making though but jury still out. We must pray to the football God's he finally does hit one this year!
There are a few difference makers on the team, like Achane, Waddle, Wilkins and Phillips. At least I'd say all these players are above average at their positions, if difference maker means elite. Holland too. Hill via trade.

But I do think it will be difficult to make up ground this year. Buffalo isn't in great shape salary cap wise. Other teams will get better.

I’m not losing sleep over any FA losses. If you want to worry, worry about the speed of recovery of Phillips and Chubb. Everything else is gravy.

If the acquisition of Bradley Chubb is what stops you from over-paying for Christian Wilkins who's just not a disruptive DT game-in, game-out then it's probably a good thing.

Wilkins looks much more like a Jarvis Landry / Olivier Vernon type of player (i.e. good but not worth breaking the bank for when someone else comes along to makes that mistake). We should not be chasing our own guys. Either they want to be here and will sign a team-friendly deal or else, goodbye.

The idea that we'd be the highest bidder for our own talent is embarrassingly absurd.

Adversity is opportunity. If you're willing to suck it up and make the tough decisions in 2024 you can absolutely come back from what is merely a short-term depression. Moving on from X, dodging the bullet of over-paying for Wilkins and forcing the offense to go out and win some games on it's own can all be big parts of how this teams turns a corner.
That's the problem, when the offense was asked to win games on their own, they failed miserably under the spotlight this year. It was embarrassing, actually.

That's the problem, when the offense was asked to win games on their own, they failed miserably under the spotlight this year. It was embarrassing, actually.

...and Miami isn't going anywhere spending big money on defense if the offense is going to continue to fall short. I'm with you 100%. If the offense can't step up nothing really matters so we've got to see that.

So from a financial perspective, I wouldn't be investing in this team like 2024 is the only thing that matters. Heck, I'd be happy if we went 8-9 with some questionable defense if we actually showed some improvement on offense.

FWIW, I thought Tua was playing very well in big games early on. He seemed to really answer the call. He was the star against LAC, won a Primetime game against NE on SNF and played fine against Buffalo in wk-4 when Mostert's back-to-back fumbles cost us early. Tua won both games against NE and NYJ which is what you want to see. I actually thought Tua played reasonably in Philly as well. I thought the WRs let us down there, namely Hill's drop(s) and Wilson's supposed communication errors.

...and Miami isn't going anywhere spending big money on defense if the offense is going to continue to fall short. I'm with you 100%. If the offense can't step up nothing really matters so we've got to see that.

So from a financial perspective, I wouldn't be investing in this team like 2024 is the only thing that matters. Heck, I'd be happy if we went 8-9 with some questionable defense if we actually showed some improvement on offense.

FWIW, I thought Tua was playing very well in big games early on. He seemed to really answer the call. He was the star against LAC, won a Primetime game against NE on SNF and played fine against Buffalo in wk-4 when Mostert's back-to-back fumbles cost us early. Tua won both games against NE and NYJ which is what you want to see. I actually thought Tua played reasonably in Philly as well. I thought the WRs let us down there, namely Hill's drop(s) and Wilson's supposed communication errors.
It's a team sport

I’m not losing sleep over any FA losses. If you want to worry, worry about the speed of recovery of Phillips and Chubb. Everything else is gravy.
Phillips would be on my explore a trade list. Love the kid but he is injury prone, he was in college and now with the Achilles. I mean, don't give the kid away but if someone offers you a solid deal, I'd think about it.

Phillips would be on my explore a trade list. Love the kid but he is injury prone, he was in college and now with the Achilles. I mean, don't give the kid away but if someone offers you a solid deal, I'd think about it.
Disappointing take.

Chubb was a difference making force on the field this year. Injuries happen.......not something you can typically predict.

We paid a lot for Chubb, no question, but the deal is done and constantly crying about it isn't going to change anything. Also, I'm not sure where you are hearing that he will be out most of this year. That is not what I understand at all.....
i completely disagree with the injuries are unpredictable thing. has been griers mantra for years, and he keeps drafting and trading for injury prone players. there is such a thing as being injury prone. fact, not opinion. it should be obvious that some guys constantly get hurt, others rarely get hurt. it is probably genetic to some degree. tyreek hill for example is a guy that tends not to get badly hurt. just the way he is built, and he goes at it as hard as anyone. terron armstead, constantly gets hurt. chubb was an injury prone player, not a surprise he got hurt, again. as far as "crying about it isnt going to change anything" well can someone get it through griers head that players are injury prone and it is not entirely random. we NEVER seem to learn from our mistakes.

grier gets no credit for achane that was clearly mcdaniel's pick!

Back
Top Bottom