The Dolphins Had A Plan At Tight End, Then Life Intervened. Here’s What’s Next. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins Had A Plan At Tight End, Then Life Intervened. Here’s What’s Next.

Gesicki was walled off again on the only red zone y iso we ran with him.

Dude is just way too soft in his stem.

O’Leary’s h back jag surprise production all scheme driven over everything else.

Think about this. Gesicki has been so bad as a blocker they went out and signed a street free agent marginal blocker as an h back ask even to replace him so plays wouldn’t just be so ruined from the get go.
I agree. He's a liability out there right now - not physical enough in his blocking assignments, not physical enough in his routes. He looks and tested like a stud, but in real life football it's just not translating. I'd like to think something will click with him, but right now he looks more like Michael Egnew 2.0 than Travis Kelce 2.0

Take a quick look at Tony Gonzales' rookie year stats, or Jimmy Graham's. Gesicki is close at this point. He's not even very far from Gronk's rookie year stats and might catch up by end of year if he really gets it together.

Count me in the "not worried" column.

Yup.

Graham 31/356
Gonzalez 33/368
Kelce 0/0

Let’s give the man some time here.

O'Leary was a very good player at FSU, never great at anything, but good at a lot of things. I was surprised that he was cut as he seems like the player who would have a role on most teams because he can do so many things. Either way, I am glad we have picked him up.

As far a Gesicki, I was big on him, but the more I watch him the more I feel like he is never going to develop. The guy tests above everyone else at the position, yet when he runs and moves on the field, he doesn't look athletic which is weird because he seems to have all the numbers...explosive, fast, and strong, but to see him move it is like doing football things or making cuts is the most unnatural thing he has ever done.

Sorry, that is a rather poor sentence, but it is difficult to explain. I guess I am trying to say that while he seems like a freak athlete, he is not a naturally gifted move player, not smooth and almost awkward on the field.

I doubt I am making sense, but yeah.
It's a fair observation. It may be that he is thinking too much about his assignment instead of just playing. Perhaps that will come with experience. He has too much talent not to be more of a factor.

Yup.

Graham 31/356
Gonzalez 33/368
Kelce 0/0

Let’s give the man some time here.
That's a bit misleading about Kelce - he was injured from Day 1 in his rookie year and never played a single snap (had to have year-ending knee surgery). Having said that, I do think we need to give Gesicki some time. I've definitely been wrong about rookies before (when I first saw DVP play, I thought he was the complete package, a sure thing) - 6 games is too soon to make a judgement.

a lot of people on here thought Gesicki was going to be breaking records or streaking down the field racking up huge stats. I wasn't one of those people. at this point, O'Leary has been much more impressive the Gesicki. Derby has been much better.

Now that O'Leary is seeing more action and Derby is healthy, I don't think Gesicki gets a ton of reps this week.

O'Leary was a very good player at FSU, never great at anything, but good at a lot of things. I was surprised that he was cut as he seems like the player who would have a role on most teams because he can do so many things. Either way, I am glad we have picked him up.

As far a Gesicki, I was big on him, but the more I watch him the more I feel like he is never going to develop. The guy tests above everyone else at the position, yet when he runs and moves on the field, he doesn't look athletic which is weird because he seems to have all the numbers...explosive, fast, and strong, but to see him move it is like doing football things or making cuts is the most unnatural thing he has ever done.

Sorry, that is a rather poor sentence, but it is difficult to explain. I guess I am trying to say that while he seems like a freak athlete, he is not a naturally gifted move player, not smooth and almost awkward on the field.

I doubt I am making sense, but yeah.

Yeah man, predraft I tried to get excited but I just couldn’t get myself there, the position specific movement was not good, and the blocking technique, balance and coordination was some of the worst I’ve seen..like ever..some folks told me I was exaggerating and that it didn’t matter if he was that bad..I argued that he would be a liability on the field, a tell..

Hope that he at least can give us something as a big receiver, but if your not strong at that size, your just gonna continue to get pummeled.

You'd like to see more out of Gesicki given where he was drafted. The scary reality is he may be better at crossfit than he is at football. I hope they use more double TE with Smythe and Oleary and just run it down peoples' throats. The Lions ate the Patriots' souls with the Double TE formation.

That's a bit misleading about Kelce - he was injured from Day 1 in his rookie year and never played a single snap (had to have year-ending knee surgery). Having said that, I do think we need to give Gesicki some time. I've definitely been wrong about rookies before (when I first saw DVP play, I thought he was the complete package, a sure thing) - 6 games is too soon to make a judgement.

Yeah that last one was a little joke haha

But still, he watched and learned the game - I’m sure that was valuable in his development, as I’m sure this year will go a long way with Gesicki’s development as well.

Gesicki will get there. I bet he slowly starts putting up better numbers as the season goes on.

He has had a slow start which was very predictable IMO...I said as soon as we drafted him that he would need some time to develop before he starts balling, so many on this board were annointing him as the next Gronk...He needs a year or two of NFL training and programs to work on that frame of his. I do still love his potential.

Also to be fair to him, Tanne completely missed him when he was wide open down the field for what looked like an easy TD. His stats should be a tiny bit better than what they are.

We are close to having a logjam at TE with everyone healthy.

Trouble is, they are NOT healthy.

It looks like O'Leary, Gray, Derby are all competent NFL TEs NOW, and Gesicki and Smythe may be LATER.

Gase should consider 2-TE looks against Houston early and often. This should be his Sparano/Wildcat offensive reinvention game, with Drake and Gore ringing the bell.

O'Leary pickup looks like a good one. Pretty cool seeing Grandpa Jack Nicklaus in the crowd last Sun.

View attachment 13994

Oldies from the shula (the real finz) era. Shula loved golf and many of the big golfers at that time loved don and the team. Arnold Palmer is a lifelong friend of shulas and a big finz fan and don was also close to mr Jack Nicklous who as you cannsed isnt a STINKING jets, pats, or barfallo jills fan.

Hmmmmm, maybe jack can pull some coin from his MANY big time investor pals and buy this once proud, yearly superbowl contending miami dolphins team? LIKE HIM OR NOT: one of jacks YUGE investor pals is non other than u.s. president, mr. DONALD J. TRUMP!! Tell me you wouldnt sport a MMGA hat?

------------------------------------
James 1:13

When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.”
For with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone.

Gesicki has the tools, but I don't trust Gase to develop a young player. He manages them about the same as Joe Philbin.

Back
Top Bottom