The Dolphins Have Id’d The Strength Of Their Offense. They Just Don’t Use It Enough | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins Have Id’d The Strength Of Their Offense. They Just Don’t Use It Enough

Has anyone else noticed that this offense works pretty well out of an I formation? And that once it works, it’s immediately abandoned?

The I formation is superb football. It steals a vital few percent from the norm in one supporting category after another, and allows teams with less than dominant quarterbacks to perform above rightful level.

The shotgun and 4-5 wide approach is just the opposite. It forfeits several percent in each category and really magnifies that gap between elite quarterbacks and lower tier quarterbacks.

Most coaches don't differentiate. They see something work for an elite team and can't comprehend the situational variance, based on caliber of that one player.

Wisconsin last night against the Canes demonstrated how effective the I formation and power football can be, and how many amazing permutations are available out of that offense. The color commentator Dan Orlovsky is a tape guy and began the game with prepared script ready to praise the Canes and specifically the defensive scheme. It was laughable how long it took him to adjust to what was actually happening in the game, when it didn't fit that predetermined script. It sounded identical to Mike Mayock before he got thrown out of the booth on Notre Dame telecasts. Mayock often would whiff the big picture for 60 minutes, while focusing on some obscure technique that had nothing to do with the outcome.

At least Orlovsky finally came around, and began raving about all the shifting and varied looks that the Badgers were displaying. It allowed a power based offense to dictate the game from start to finish, and protect a shaky backup quarterback who would have been in big trouble if asked to sit back and throw out of the shotgun all day, like the Canes approach and so often what the Dolphins do.

BTW, nobody runs for 4.5 or 4.7 yards per carry over the course of a season behind a "poor" line. Impossible. We would be in hysterics if some other NFL team owned numbers like that yet the fan base was bemoaning an offensive line below NFL standards.

the dolphins miss ajayi as rb. they have not been able to replace that 2016 season. gore is all right but he is no ajayi.

He may as Friggin well!
I would love to see the FINS offensive playbook to see how it stacks up against other pro offenses.
My bet is it’s thicker than most (that’s what she said).

But seriously the offensive guru Gase likely has boatloads of options but in the end when you boil it all down, the offense does nothing consistently well and hasn’t for three years. He is great at out thinking himself and being overly complex and diverse, when you might just want to run 75 plays really really well instead of 200 or so not.

The o-line is totally inconsistent, not only from one game to another but one drive to another. We just saw a perfect example against the Jags. The first drive is beautiful, everything is clicking. After we score the TD we don't score again all damn day. How can everything click then nothing? If they made an adjustment why did we not have any answers all day. This happens too often with this coach. He gets outcoached all the time. His in game coaching is often the reason we lose games. Look, I don't know if there is a coach that I think would be willing to come to the Dolphins at this point, same with big name coordinators but I think we need a change. I predict this team quits on Gase by halftime up in the snow and I think the Bills are going to kick our butts. This team is done, Tannenbaum's done, Tannehill's done, Burke's done and Gase should be done.

A big reason Miami 23rd in rush attempts per game is because Miami is dead last in offensive snaps per game.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/plays-per-game

Miami is 30th in pass attempts per game.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/pass-attempts-per-game

Tannehill has mastered the 3 and out.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversions-per-game

Miami is 31st in 3rd down conversion % and if you take away Miami's 3rd down plays under Osweiller and when they run the wildcat leaving only Tannehill's plays they would be 32nd.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

Last edited:
I find it incredible the way our productive players can become so disliked by fans, based on some perceived notion that if Adam Gase doesn’t like them, they are clearly inadequate.

Ajayi has a very good stretch of games for this team, gets traded for garbage, and suddenly he’s a malcontent who is always looking for the home run.

Drake has a great stretch of games after Ajayi is traded (and Damien Williams is injured), but this season he gets marginalized by Gase. Suddenly, here we go again with the constant criticism.

No one considers the situation. If you’re Drake, and your carries are becoming so limited - 8 games with 6 or less carries - are you going to be more inclined to try to make those carries count? Or are you going to take the 2-3 yards that might be the “easy” yards, and then head back to the bench?

Gase put Drake in an untenable position by deciding in training camp that Frank Gore was his horse. It limited the explosiveness of the Dolphins offense. Gase would rather ask Drake to block on 3rd down. Or maybe run the Wildcat with Ballage.

Drake gets hurt and does not run north south nor is a big back. Thats 3 reasons.

Drake had 17 negative yardage runs on 105 carries, Gore had 10 negative runs on 156 carries. 26.7% of Drake's runs went for either no gain, or negative yards. 14.7% of Gore's went for either no gain or negative yards. By contrast, Drake had 41 carries of 5 or more ypc (39%), and 4 carries of 20 or more (3.8% of his carries) and Gore had 64 runs (41%) of 5 or more and 5 of 20 or more (3.2% of his carries). If you extrapolate out and give all carries to Gore or Drake (acknowledging that different usage might produce different results), Gore would have 38 carries of 0 or negative carries, vs. Drake with 70 of 0 or negative, and Gore 8 runs of 20+ and Drake would have 10 runs of 20+ runs. So, in theory, if you give Drake all of Gore's carries, you accept 32 more 0 or negative runs, 6 or so fewer runs of 5+ ypc, and in exchange you get 2 more 20+ runs. That's a lot of carries (30+) that leave the offense in poor position (negative or no gain runs) and you still get fewer quality runs (defined by me at 5+ yds) all for 2 more big gain runs of 20+ runs. And, then you have the issue of blocking. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I just dont see the case for Drake if you believe these numbers accurately represent what you'll get on a full year basis. The numbers would have to get far more skewed in favor of big runs by Drake to justify the high percentage of poor runs, IMO. Will be interesting if Ballage can skew the equation.

Interestingly...Ajayi had 259 carries in 2016, with 10 carries of 20+ (3.86%) , 37 carries for negative yards (14.3%), and 62 carries of 0 or negative (24%), and only 94 carries of 5 or more yards (36.8%). In some ways, worse than Drake by not getting enough good runs

Last edited:
This is a ridiculous article. When your defense cannot stop a 3rd string TE, you get no pass rush and they can score at will
Your offensive game plan goes goes out of the window.
How many times did the Dphins score on opening drive? How many times the Dolphins trailed at halftime?
There is so much you can do when trailing by 14 or 21 and you have to abandon the running game at some point.

But outside of Gore, none of these RBs have been consistent.

Or the O-Line hasn't been consistent. Injuries definitely played a role. Sitton's injury was a major setback for this o-line. Kilgore may not be as good but he is a veteran with experience who has seen many formations that Swanson hasn't seen yet.

Cant be the strength if you cant run inside the tackles. Maybe if he was alvin kamara but hes not

Back
Top Bottom