phinsforlife

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I think this one is easier than the WRs. Teams tend to keep 4 RBs. My guesses:

In- Mostert, Achane, Chris Brooks, Jaylen Wright
Out- Jeff Wilson, Ahmed
Probable - Ingold as the fullback

I think Brooks over Wilson because they still need a power back, and he is the younger guy. The Ingold question is a bit above my paygrade, bit of a roster construction question depending on how they feel about other players at other positions. I guess they could live without the fullback, but I think they like having a guy like Ingold at the position.

I think there is a non-zero chance that we go with just three... and send Brooks back to the PS.
i assume you are saying 3 because there is pressure on the roster elsewhere where they need to keep more players than normal? if so, where? i struggle to believe they go with 3 RBs because of the injury factor, and the difficulty of passing players back to the PS. i also think they need at least one power back on the active roster, especially for 3rd and short. i think if they tried the ps with brooks, he would get picked up by another team based on what he showed, albeit in limited time. but i personally wouldn't bet on him passing through. ahmed has a decent chance of passing through, and there does not seem to be a big market for jeff wilson. but it will be interesting

i assume you are saying 3 because there is pressure on the roster elsewhere where they need to keep more players than normal? if so, where? i struggle to believe they go with 3 RBs because of the injury factor, and the difficulty of passing players back to the PS. i also think they need at least one power back on the active roster, especially for 3rd and short. i think if they tried the ps with brooks, he would get picked up by another team based on what he showed, albeit in limited time. but i personally wouldn't bet on him passing through. ahmed has a decent chance of passing through, and there does not seem to be a big market for jeff wilson. but it will be interesting
The third and short back will probably be Wright, not Brooks. He's 210# and an excellent pass blocker if we fake the run.

I think it's close to 0% but I have to agree with @Feverdream, it's not 0%.

We could carry Ingold and the 3 burners and thats it. I doubt it, but weirder things have happened.

The third and short back will probably be Wright, not Brooks. He's 210# and an excellent pass blocker if we fake the run.
The short yardage run plays and their lack of success, had more to do with how bad we were on the Oline at Run-blocking than the RBs. Especially after guys started getting hurt.

This is why I want Van Roten so bad. He's such a good run blocker.

Out- Jeff Wilson, Ahmed

I think Brooks over Wilson because they still need a power back, and he is the younger guy. The Ingold question is a bit above my paygrade, bit of a roster construction question depending on how they feel about other players at other positions. I guess they could live without the fullback, but I think they like having a guy like Ingold at the position.
Fast as hell

Top three are clear, I would like to see Brooks win the 4th spot but he'll need to compete hard for that spot, Wilson probably won't lie down. His long-time injury last year derailed his whole season. One of those two whoever wins the job should do a fine job as a #4. Ahmed is out. Keep Ingold, it's good to be multiple in the packages we can roll out consistently. I like the versatility there and he is familiar with the system.

I think it's close to 0% but I have to agree with @Feverdream, it's not 0%.

We could carry Ingold and the 3 burners and thats it. I doubt it, but weirder things have happened.
We broke camp with only three RBs a couple of years ago... it didn't last long, but it was our initial set.
Having several marginal backs that could get to the PS would make this a less risky bet... I'm not prepared to predict it, but with Wilson, Ahmed, and Brooks all being fairly low end options, we might decide to cut all three and see who slips through waivers.

Honestly, they all might. RBs go begging every year... and when you add in the fact that we are one of the few teams that carries and uses a FB... I could see it if we are tight elsewhere.

Wilson is still a solid reserve and the team would be fine if he were the 4th rb. I have Brooks ahead of Wilson due to age, size and cost. I don't expect either to get very many carries (10 or 15 tops), barring a string of injuries to Mostert, Achane and Wright.

We broke camp with only three RBs a couple of years ago... it didn't last long, but it was our initial set.
Having several marginal backs that could get to the PS would make this a less risky bet... I'm not prepared to predict it, but with Wilson, Ahmed, and Brooks all being fairly low end options, we might decide to cut all three and see who slips through waivers.

Honestly, they all might. RBs go begging every year... and when you add in the fact that we are one of the few teams that carries and uses a FB... I could see it if we are tight elsewhere.
Ill add to this, that there is a chance another team cuts a back that we might like more than Ahmed, Brooks and Wilson. It's prob not a high probability but it's possible.

Ill add to this, that there is a chance another team cuts a back that we might like more than Ahmed, Brooks and Wilson. It's prob not a high probability but it's possible.
I agree with you, there's always a chance for an upgrade from another team at the end of training camp. I'm curious if Miami would even consider the option, since we're talking about the 4th rb and someone that's not expected to play much. They might feel any gain in talent might not be greater than the advantage of having someone around that has a little familarity with the offense.

Out- Jeff Wilson, Ahmed

There is no scenario I see this offense run w/o Ingold/a fullback type. For the past 2 seasons he has been 2nd in snap count in the Backfield.

Back
Top Bottom