The Dolphins Running Back Room Will Be? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins Running Back Room Will Be?

I think this one is easier than the WRs. Teams tend to keep 4 RBs. My guesses:

In- Mostert, Achane, Chris Brooks, Jaylen Wright
Out- Jeff Wilson, Ahmed
Probable - Ingold as the fullback

I think Brooks over Wilson because they still need a power back, and he is the younger guy. The Ingold question is a bit above my paygrade, bit of a roster construction question depending on how they feel about other players at other positions. I guess they could live without the fullback, but I think they like having a guy like Ingold at the position.
I agree with this. I know McDaniel loves Wilson and Miami traded for him. He's a great locker room guy etc., but if Brooks play is close I think you go with the younger, higher ceiling guy. Perhaps, Grier could get a late round pick for Wilson?

Obviously, special teams will factor in as well.

Ill add to this, that there is a chance another team cuts a back that we might like more than Ahmed, Brooks and Wilson. It's prob not a high probability but it's possible.
It would probably have to be someone McD is directly familiar with.

This is a fairly complex offense, even for a back. Coming in after camp and preseason would be a tough task.

I think it's close to 0% but I have to agree with @Feverdream, it's not 0%.

We could carry Ingold and the 3 burners and thats it. I doubt it, but weirder things have happened.
wish there was a way to set up dolphins specific prop bets for real money. for example, # of RBs (excluding Ingold) on opening day roster, 3 or 4? guard signed in FA, Van Roten, Risner, Other, None?

The short yardage run plays and their lack of success, had more to do with how bad we were on the Oline at Run-blocking than the RBs. Especially after guys started getting hurt.

This is why I want Van Roten so bad. He's such a good run blocker.

The "lack of success" on short yardage runs is really overstated. At first glance, the Dolphins look worse than most teams because most teams used a Tush Push type play with regularity and those were hugely successful. The Dolphins tried it once I think with Ingold and it failed, but that's just one play. When the Dolphins used regular RBs on 3rd/4th and 1-2, they had pretty good success. Collectively, Mostert, Achane and Wilson converted 12 out of 14 3rd/4th and 1-2 opportunities. The failures were a Tua aborted snaps and fumble, two by Ingold and one by Brooks. Counting Brooks as a regular RB the Dolphins converted 12 of 15, which is very good. Here's how it compares to some other top teams' short-yardage runs by RBs:

Chiefs -- 23/27 (85.2%)
Ravens -- 22/26 (84.6%)
Dolphins -- 12/15 (80%)
Niners -- 21/28 (75%)
Bills -- 19/27 (70.3%)
Eagles -- 6/11 (54.5%)

The team that was the best at it, was the Titans and it wasn't because of Derrick Henry. Their other backs and QB converted over 92% collectively. Their OC from last year is now the Dolphins OC. He's very good in short yardage situations. They did only 2 Tush Push type plays last year but gained 3+ yards on both of them.

Mostert, Achane, Wright and Brooks stay.

Wilson can take the first bus out of town, and Ahmed can chase after that bus like Rerun chasing after the pick up truck in the opening credits to What's Happening!

I would use Brooks as FB frequently to see if he can make Ingold expendable.

*For you young folk who have no idea who Rerun is.*

The "lack of success" on short yardage runs is really overstated. At first glance, the Dolphins look worse than most teams because most teams used a Tush Push type play with regularity and those were hugely successful. The Dolphins tried it once I think with Ingold and it failed, but that's just one play. When the Dolphins used regular RBs on 3rd/4th and 1-2, they had pretty good success. Collectively, Mostert, Achane and Wilson converted 12 out of 14 3rd/4th and 1-2 opportunities. The failures were a Tua aborted snaps and fumble, two by Ingold and one by Brooks. Counting Brooks as a regular RB the Dolphins converted 12 of 15, which is very good. Here's how it compares to some other top teams' short-yardage runs by RBs:

Chiefs -- 23/27 (85.2%)
Ravens -- 22/26 (84.6%)
Dolphins -- 12/15 (80%)
Niners -- 21/28 (75%)
Bills -- 19/27 (70.3%)
Eagles -- 6/11 (54.5%)

The team that was the best at it, was the Titans and it wasn't because of Derrick Henry. Their other backs and QB converted over 92% collectively. Their OC from last year is now the Dolphins OC. He's very good in short yardage situations. They did only 2 Tush Push type plays last year but gained 3+ yards on both of them.
I think these stats might be misleading bc of all the times they threw on third and short. Thusly so many fewer rushing attempts for Miami in that situation. Need to look at third and short in total, and then maybe make a judgement if an elite offense should be better in total, or not. If they were only a few pct better than garbage like Carolina or the pats, not as better as they should have been, if that makes sense?

This is easy.

MOSTERT, ACHANE, WRIGHT

INGOLD

BROOKS and Wilson Compete....but most likely if brooks flashes again he might be PS...not sure if Wilson wants PS because someone out there can and will use him.

Ahmed out.

You people keep trying to get rid of Ingold man 😂 😂 😂 viva our under appreciated FB.

This is easy.

MOSTERT, ACHANE, WRIGHT

INGOLD

BROOKS and Wilson Compete....but most likely if brooks flashes again he might be PS...not sure if Wilson wants PS because someone out there can and will use him.

Ahmed out.

You people keep trying to get rid of Ingold man 😂 😂 😂 viva our under appreciated FB.
Yeah Ahmed hangs around and flashes then invisible. Guess he is good at special teams.

I think these stats might be misleading bc of all the times they threw on third and short. Thusly so many fewer rushing attempts for Miami in that situation. Need to look at third and short in total, and then maybe make a judgement if an elite offense should be better in total, or not. If they were only a few pct better than garbage like Carolina or the pats, not as better as they should have been, if that makes sense?

It's certainly not misleading as to how they did rushing on 3rd/4th and short. The passes have nothing to do with that. Yes, they passed too much in those situations, but that has nothing to do with the RBs' ability to convert or the run blocking. And yes, they should have been better and should be this year. But a big part of that is simply choosing to run more and pass less. The problem in terms of conversion rate on the passes was getting greedy and going for big plays instead of just taking the short completion that moves the chains. But there is a flip side to that in that several of them were successful big plays. So there's a tradeoff there between the benefits of the big play and reduction in conversion rate. There were 3rd/4th and short passes that went for 78, 31, 22, 19, 17 and 17 yards. I'll take a few of those at the expense of a few non-conversions.

I believe if they just keep 4 backs on the roster, it will be Mostert, Achane, Wright, and Wilson.

Brooks will likely be signed to the PS if he clears waivers and Ahmed will be the odd man out unless one of the top 4 are injured before the season starts.

It's certainly not misleading as to how they did rushing on 3rd/4th and short. The passes have nothing to do with that. Yes, they passed too much in those situations, but that has nothing to do with the RBs' ability to convert or the run blocking. And yes, they should have been better and should be this year. But a big part of that is simply choosing to run more and pass less. The problem in terms of conversion rate on the passes was getting greedy and going for big plays instead of just taking the short completion that moves the chains. But there is a flip side to that in that several of them were successful big plays. So there's a tradeoff there between the benefits of the big play and reduction in conversion rate. There were 3rd/4th and short passes that went for 78, 31, 22, 19, 17 and 17 yards. I'll take a few of those at the expense of a few non-conversions.
i think it is hard to know. did they not run on 3rd and short because they felt like the couldn't (OL or RBs), and they had to pass? then the fact that they often passed on 3rd and short made it easier for them the times they ran because teams were partly defending the pass due to the tendencies they saw on film, so their apparent success running on 3rd and short is not as good as it looks? or did they not run on 3rd and short bc mcdaniel thought he was playing madden football? so hard to know.

other odd thing is no QB sneaks. tua is built like a brick sh*thouse. he probably weighted 220 by the end of the year, and his legs are like tree trunks. although short, he is not tiny. really strange they could not sneak the ball better with him. some of these skinny and weak looking QBs like jared goff seem to sneak it just fine, tom brady was the master.

re the big gains passing on 3rd and short, my view is first things first. the most important thing to do is to stay on the field, and convert the third down. time of posession also helps the defense. it is a complimentary game.

Back
Top Bottom