The Dolphins’ surprising release of Kyle Van Noy isn’t so surprising — it’s ice-cold smart | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins’ surprising release of Kyle Van Noy isn’t so surprising — it’s ice-cold smart

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Rent don't own is the NFL today. I still struggle with that sometimes, especially when you let go of players who were team guys and good locker room people. It's hard as a fan when you root for players, have favorites and then, just like that, they are looking for jobs on other teams.

I think it's fair to say the New England Patriots understood this early in the salary cap era and that other teams are just now catching up. Look how many good players the Patriots have lost over the years. But they know who to keep, what positions to value the most. I think Grier and Flores know what they are doing. Doesn't mean some moves won't hurt.

Rent don't own is the NFL today. I still struggle with that sometimes, especially when you let go of players who were team guys and good locker room people. It's hard as a fan when you root for players, have favorites and then, just like that, they are looking for jobs on other teams.

I think it's fair to say the New England Patriots understood this early in the salary cap era and that other teams are just now catching up. Look how many good players the Patriots have lost over the years. But they know who to keep, what positions to value the most. I think Grier and Flores know what they are doing. Doesn't mean some moves won't hurt.
Initially I thought KVN was a bust of a signing right off the bat. Then he picked it up some (not to the level of his contract) and then the hip. It is what it is. Doubt his hip problems are behind him.

Initially I thought KVN was a bust of a signing right off the bat. Then he picked it up some (not to the level of his contract) and then the hip. It is what it is. Doubt his hip problems are behind him.
Sometimes it's easier to think about it as trading contracts.

The money Miami now has could be used to add an equal value on the offensive side. Perhaps Samuel at slot receiver.

Last edited:
I know the dude's upset, but I think 15 million guaranteed was a damn good deal for Van Noy. As Hyde said, this gives us some leeway with the money we have under the cap. Van Ginkel is starting to emerge, and since our defense is one of our more solid units, having him plus another guy (OL, WR, LB, DE, etc.) we can add through free agency should benefit us more than having Van Noy and Van Ginkel. Something weird is happening in Dolphin land. Although we haven't been perfect, we seem to have a plan and are making better decisions. I would say the arrow is trending up.

This is a classic Patriots-style move. If you need a specific skill set (and we needed a team leader edge setter), overpay a bit... but don't fall in love with them. Don't keep them long, and be willing to let them walk a year early.

We had the cap. We had the need.

Now we don't...

This is a classic Patriots-style move. If you need a specific skill set (and we needed a team leader edge setter), overpay a bit... but don't fall in love with them. Don't keep them long, and be willing to let them walk a year early.

We had the cap. We had the need.

Now we don't...
Has to be hard for the players. But, at the same time, I guess it beats the old system where starting caliber players were stashed behind vets without free agency.

There's no looking back in the NFL. You have to live up to your contact and he did not. He made 15mill in one season so he should feel good about that. Time to move on.

You own your draft picks, you rent your free agents.

Has to be hard for the players. But, at the same time, I guess it beats the old system where starting caliber players were stashed behind vets without free agency.
The players continue to fumble the chances to fix this kind of issue during the CBA period. It's really up to them to do better during negotiations.

It also beats the old dolphins where they knew a player was a liability or too much and they kept him around. The amount of players over the years that overstayed their welcome is too many to count

In a way, releasing KVN early like this, gives him the opportunity to field calls from prospective buyers (and a rebuilding team with cap space will probably jump on him knowing he's available). The Dolphins consciously negotiated the KVN contract with the opt out after a year - the $15M one year rental was a good analogy. With the departure of Mike Tannenbaum in December 2018, the team are no longer just softies in the player negotiation side of the business. This was a tough, ruthless and unexpected call, implemented early with a minimum of fuss to free up $9.5M now. It also sends a strong message to the locker room that will be clearly heard. Kyle Van Noy was personally developed by Coach Flo up in New England. KVN was his guy also made a club captain and now he is gone within a year. Friendships and loyalty meant little in the quest for talent now. It will be interesting to see who we pounce on in free agency.

Last edited:
No expert here, but 15 million guaranteed upfront makes up for signing a multi-year deal for less. I think we did him a solid with that contract, and now he can go on to another team and get some more jack. He's not going to be hurtin financially when he hangs up his cleats.

The players continue to fumble the chances to fix this kind of issue during the CBA period. It's really up to them to do better during negotiations.

It also beats the old dolphins where they knew a player was a liability or too much and they kept him around. The amount of players over the years that overstayed their welcome is too many to count
I'm curious... what is there to fix?

A player has two options, he can (like Van Noy) opt for a lot of money up-front, with no job security... or to take more guaranteed years (like Lawson and Flowers) and a bit less money.

Isn't this a good thing? Each player looks for the sort of contract that works best for them?

No expert here, but 15 million guaranteed upfront makes up for signing a multi-year deal for less. I think we did him a solid with that contract, and now he can go on to another team and get some more jack. He's not going to be hurtin financially when he hangs up his cleats.
Agree financially, but it's got to be hard if you bought into the system, bonded with players and wanted to stay on the team.

Agree financially, but it's got to be hard if you bought into the system, bonded with players and wanted to stay on the team.
No doubt. For me, personally, I struggle with the fact that I am just a number at work. They don't really care. It's plug-and-play. I try to accept it, go in, do my job, and go home, but for some reason, I can't. I want more from my job, but the reality is it's just a business, and everything will run fine and continue whether I am there or not.

Back
Top Bottom